new to message board help please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teacheng1, Mar 3, 2007.

1. teacheng1

teacheng1 New Member

Hi, I just visited the chat room (actually the first time I've ever visited a chat room), and it was amazing. Really great people who are patient with a newbie! I got really tired really fast.

Anyway, to the point. I have suspicions that I may have fibro but don't know. Problems seem to have progressed since 98 when thyroid had to be removed due to mass. I do know I have osteoarthritis in my hands, feet, lumbar and cervical spine, ribs. Two years ago I had 36 rads for breast cancer and am cancer free now. Last summer had a parotid gland tumor removed which was thankfully benign. Having hysterectomy this summer -- if I can wait that long--since I teach school for a growing fibroid. My muscles ache all over my body and I'm on Effexor to try to rebalance seratonin levels. I have TMJ as well. Sleep is awful. Usually I get two or three hours decent sleep, sometimes up to six. I don't have a 1st period class, and my principal is very understanding on those days that I run a little late, but I'd be in a jam if I weren't off 1st period. Went through the nerve conduction study about a year and a half ago and swore I'd never do that again.

So much for my history. I know there is a lot of info. out there on fibromyalgia. What I'd like to gleen from you all is what was most useful to you in your research before you approached your doctor or even after you initiated a discussion about this with him or her. Any suggestions that would help me refine my search to really useful sites or even books I could purchase would be a godsend. Thank you! - TM
  2. 139864

139864 New Member

Doctors !!!
    Hi TM

I do empathise with you .Seventeen years ago after getting blood test results ,my G.P. told that I had a BIG drinking problem ,I quickly assured her that I didn't have a SMALL one as I hardly touched alcohol .Iwas sent for a liver biopsy and was then dx'ed with Primary Biliary Cirrhosis a "Autoimmune " liver disease
    Best wishes
    Brenda UK
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Welcome! I'm sorry that you have so many challeneges. It is so hard to be working and coping with FM at the same time. You will find lots of info here if you can read some old posts.
    Some things you might look into include diet changes, supplements of magnesium, a good multi, probiotics. Many get some relief from massage and acupucture. There are some local rubs that you can use.
    I would also suggest the books by Dr Devin Starlanyl. There are many others, of course, but this is a start.

Good Luck
    Kathy