New to message board

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Ratty1706, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Ratty1706

Ratty1706 New Member

Hi all...I wouldn't wish fms on anyone, but it's such a relief to find there are more ppl like me out there. Now I know I'm not a hypocondriac! I've spent the last 6 years going backwards and forwards between doctors and hospitals. I've given so much blood my arms are like pin cushions.All in an attempt to find out why for 6 years I've felt like my body is giving up on me. At last I've been given an answer..fms.I also have osteoarthritis in my hips. At the age of 31 I was beginning to feel like I was ready for the scrap heap. I've got used to waking up hurting, but just knowing I'm not the only one is such a help.I'm only just learning about fms, as I was only recently diagnosed, so I'll be watching the message boards with interest.
  2. nogilroy

nogilroy New Member

welcome here you came to the right place lots of nice people here but i am sorry to here that you have this. have a nice night
  3. catgal

catgal New Member

Greetings Ratty~~I'm so glad you found us and wrote a post. You have come to the right place for support, encouragement, expression, information, and a host of good, caring, compassionate people.

Although I am sorry to read that you have FM--I imagine after six years of wondering why you feel so lousy all the time--it is good to finally have a solid diagnosis. At least you have a direction now.

I would encourage you to educate yourself all you can about FM. The more you know, the better prepared you are to do with the multitudes of symptoms. However, this disease is so frustrating because there are so many theories as to the cause and how to treat FM--but no absolute answer, and what works for one person may not work for another. As you read the posts, you will see that all of us are working on our own various trial & error of combinations of things to help us feel better.

Most of us have other medical problems along with FM and/or CFS. I am 53 and have had FM/CFS since I was 15. Was born with severe asthma/allergies and IBS. Through the years, I have developed osteoarthritis, psoriatic arthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis. Two years ago I was diagnosed with advanced degenerative disc disease with multiple back problems, nerve damage, and a cluster of pinched nerves in my neck/shoulder area.

All of us can relate to "waking up hurting", not sleeping well, aching constantly, dealing with fibro fog, poor concentration, loss of memory, painful flares that can last a day or months, and grieving the loss of the vibrant, energetic person we used to be to the exhausted, debilitated person we've become.

So many cannot find good medical care nor medications to ease their pain because a large portion of the medical community does not recognize FM because it doesn't show up on tests. So, they suffer everyday needlessly.

What are you doing to help yourself? Do you have a physician or provider that helps you deal with the pain?

Feel free to ask any questions you want or to respond to any of the posts. There are no strangers here--only fellow sufferers. Welcome to The Family! Blessings, Carol....
  4. srollins

srollins New Member

I am also pretty new here ,but I love it.
    I think the reply above from Catgirl said everything I had to say. I will just extend my welcome.

((())), Shirley
  5. FibroNan

FibroNan New Member

and I can tell you that I have visited lots of Fibro message boards and this board has the absolute best information I've found anywhere. I am learning things every day. Maybe I should back track and tell you that my name is Nancy and I was DX several months ago with FM by my Rheumatologist, after suffering for several years with pain, depression, fatigue, migraines....etc....
    Nancy
  6. lin21

lin21 New Member

Hi,

Just want to welcome you to the board, I'm fairly "new" here to since I was just diagnosed in Nov/Dec. This is a great site with alot of great people who are very informative.

Lin
  7. pogopossum

pogopossum New Member

Glad to see another newcomer here, I just found this message board today, and I agree it's great to find others out there who we can talk to. Don't you just love the "knowledgeable" people who suggest our pain is psychological, aren't these experts a lot of help!
  8. goingslowlycrazy

goingslowlycrazy New Member

Hi Ratty, Lin and Pogopossum,
    Welcome to our 'family'! You will find a wealth of information here but the most important thing that I have found is the caring of these people. It is such a relief to come here and just be me.....and to know that everyone here knows 'where I am coming from'.
    One of the worst things for me is when people ask me how I am (expecting me to say 'fine' I guess...) and I say 'Not too good actually' - the look of weary disappointment on their faces can be crushing. Like I need to feel more crushed right now..... Do they think I enjoy this DD? Don't they think I want to be fine???
    Here, you can be as 'not too good' as you like and you will get nothing but support and interest in how you are doing.
    I am so glad you have all found this wonderful soft place to fall.
    hugs
    Mary x
  9. bejo

bejo New Member

Welcome Ratty.You've found a good site to get information and to make friends.Fibro can be a hard disease to get diagnosed.I guess if a Dr. can't see it and there are no tests to prove it,it's hard for a Dr.to know for sure what to call it.You're right,it does help to know it's real.After so many people look at you like you're imagining things,it's nice to know you're not. (((hugs)))
    bejo