New to Message Board

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rattgal, Aug 14, 2003.

1. rattgal

rattgal New Member

I found this site to try to talk to others who feel like me. I am 33 years old and often feel 80. I have been through doctors and tests, over and over. They say I'm perfectly healthy, so I wonder why I feel beat to heck most of the time. I have been researching and came across fibromyalgia web sites, and this is something that finally makes sense to me. All my symptoms in a nutshell. I'd like to get more info- personal experiences from others- so I can learn what to do, what works, and what doesn't. I'm so tired of feeling like this, but am relieved that this is not in my head. I was once happy, healthy, energetic. Now I'm just tired- doctors always try to treat me with antidepressants, but I'm not depressed!! I'm just tired of my body feeling worn out, or not right. I want to freely be able to do and live like I used to.
  2. Suekoo

Suekoo New Member

You have come to the right place! I am fairly new to the board myself... maybe a couple of months. There is a wealth of information here. First it is wonderful to be validated! Most people look at you like you are from another planet when you describe your symptoms. You will have to try hard to find a doctor who will work with you. Fibro is usually diagnosed when everything else has been ruled out. Many of us have suffered for years. Some days are better than others. Type in any particular general question you may have in the Message Search near the top of the page - i.e. "hip pain" and you will find many helpful posts. Stay with us - it's a great source of comfort. Blessings - Sue
  3. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Welcome to the Board. As mentioned above, you will be able to get a lot of good info here, as well as a lot of support! Ask as many questions as you need to. We've all been through this, one way or another. I hope you're able to find a good doctor who will be able to help you!

Annette2
  4. atrinigyal29

atrinigyal29 New Member

Welcome to the board. I'm so sorry that you are going through such a rough time, and to top it off, doctors are telling you that you are perfectly healthy. How frustrating! My story is also similar to yours in that I went from doctor to doctor who would run test after test and tell me that I'm healthy. After many doctors, I found one who actually listened to me and with his help, I was eventually diagnosed with fibromyalgia. It may take a while to find a doctor, who truly cares and listens, but don't give up.

As mentioned above, you can get lots of information on fibro here at this site. The first thing I think you should do is find a good doctor, who will test you for all types of illnesses/diseases. You can post a message here to find a good doctor in your area. Rheumotologists usually care for people with fibro, so you can also ask about a good rheumy in your area.

You mention that doctors have only prescribed antidepressants, which not only help those who suffer with depression, but they also help to relieve the symptoms of fibro, so your doctors may have been on the right track. However, I don't believe in giving someone medication without finding out the true cause of their symptoms. Plus, different medications work for different people so finding the right doctor, who will experiment to see what works best for you, would be your best bet.

Once again, welcome to the board. You can find great support here too. I hope you find a good doctor soon and also find relief. Take care and let us know how you are doing.
    Alicia

[This Message was Edited on 08/14/2003]
  5. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Welcome, welcome, welcome.
    Enjoy.
    Soft teddy hugs.