New to Neurontin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by amysmom, Apr 18, 2003.

1. amysmom

amysmom New Member

What sort of side effects might be expected of Neurontin therapy for FMS? I've heard about appetite increase and dizziness. Are these common, and how effective have people found the drug for FMS?
  2. sarahfemme

sarahfemme New Member

I've found that my appetite has decreased since starting Neurontin, but tht I've gotten very thirsty. I have had some dizziness but that has decreased over time. Generally, I've found Neurontin to be a relatively clean drug that does seem to be helping my pain somewhat. The only troublesome side-effect for me is constipation, which only affects about 1.5% of users. Good luck, and I hope it helps!

-Sarah
  3. rbtheidmanhabs

rbtheidmanhabs New Member

To amysmom!
    Neurontin is a great drug for fibro as well as many other things.But you have to build up slowly to what you are comfortable at.Also if you have to go off it do it slowly.It can cause seisures if you stop it abruptly.So be careful with it as other drugs can have the same effect as well.
    Bob
  4. Annie06

Annie06 New Member

I found this very interesting as I've been on Neurontin since last Dec. I had a seizure 2 wks. ago...... I have been under an awful lot of stress the past few months... So they're not sure why I had the seizure??? I've never heard of anyone mentioning, if you quit taking this drug abrubtly you could have a siezure. Now that I think about it, I have been forgetting to take it as often as I should. Even though I have been in pain, it's just been a rough few months...... Thanks for the "info!"

Happy Easter to everyone!

Annie06
  5. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

You need to start out at low dosage so side effects won't be so bad. I started with 300mg at bedtime but my daytime nerve pain was so bad I asked for more so then was on 600 at bedtime, 200-300 twice a day, depending on pain level. It really helps me keep the nerve pain I have in arm that nothing else helped. It also acts as a mood stabilizer. You may experience some dizziness or weird feelings when you increase but it should pass in a few days...everyone reacts differently. I did notice some increase in appetite but that has evened out too.

The only thing I still do get is constipated but that could be from other meds I'm on too and I take a stool softener that helps. I can definitely tell when it's wearing off & it works best for me if I take it every 8 hrs. Some people are on much higher dosages and more often. It's the only thing that helped my nerve pain.

I'm surprised that pharmacies and doctors don't give better warnings not to go off this medication without doctor's knowledge and that it could lead to seizure even it you never had them before. I found that out from looking it up on the web.

Good luck!
    Shaky
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I started on Neurontin last week, by taking 1 capsule in the morning and one at bedtime. Today was my first day to take it 3 x day.

The first couple days, I experienced a little dizziness and was a little sleepy. However, now I can't tell any side effects.

I do think it is helping my pain. I am taking it for the spinal stenosis and pinched nerves in my back; however, it is working on the overall fibro pain, too.
  7. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

I too am new to neurontin. It seems to be helping with the fibro pain, I'm happy to report that I'm staying out of the pain meds more as my neurontin dose increases. I'm a bit dizzy, but I am getting used to the med.
    To those of us without epilepsy taking anti seizure drugs: we need to be wearing a medic-alert bracelet or necklace because we can have a seizure if we suddenly stop our meds, such as a car crash and we are unconscious! I am planning on posting this again in a different post, but when I went on Topamax for migrines, I got a nice necklace. Later I realized klonopin, too needs to be on there, and I need to add the neurontin if I am going to stay on it. At the VERY least, put the info stating what drugs you take in what strength and how often in your wallet next to your drivers license with your doctor's number next to it. It could save your life!
    Tibbie