New to the board - newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by thedebster, Oct 13, 2009.

1. thedebster

thedebster New Member

I just want to chat. I'm 45 and live alone...my family are spread out in the US. Diagnosed about 6 weeks ago and just started the Plaquenil. My doctor (who is great, but old) says that he'll die before I do, but how do we really know? So far, tests show that my heart, lungs and kidneys are unaffected, but there's a question on my liver, which they are watching...Like many others, I'm sure, I feel I've had this at least 5 years, but my Internist just didn't listen. My friends don't understand and are tired of hearing me complain about being sick and tired. I've got Hashimotos Thyroiditis ANd Rheumatoid Arhritis, so I feel I'm in for the fight of my life....I need some Lupus buddies....any takers???? :(
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board. Sorry to hear the bad news.

In case you don't know, there are about 20 boards at this site. See "New to the
    Boards" or "Select a Board" above. There are boards on Lupus and Arthritis.

There is also a Chit chat board which provides some social contact. Folks there
    talk about kids, pets, music, TV, etc.

You can find the board rules in the upper right hand corner.

I have arthritis myself. Have had it for 20 years or so. So far about all it's
    done is enlarge my knuckles. Good thing I wasn't working as a hand model.

I don't know much about lupus. I thought it was a disease of the connective
    tissues. Then somebody told me it was a blood disease. I'd look it up, but w/
    my Alzheimer's I'd forget pretty soon anyway.

Good luck

Rock
  3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I was on the generic Plaquenil for a while at a lower dose and was told that dose would not impact my eyes, but still saw the eye doc every 6 months. I developed cataracts in both eyes due to the medication and finished having them both removed recently. Please DO NOT omit having eye exams every six months. Cataracts from medication can be removed far earlier than cataracts due to age. And warning, cataracts from medication can grow large suddenly, which happened in my one eye.
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

Welcome to the boards where you will find a lot of people with a lot of things in common!

I'm a few months away from being 59 even though I don't mentally feel that old, but my poor old body does! You can learn more about me by reading my profile. My 3 children are all married and out of the house, so it's just me and my hubby. He's retired and on the farm all day and goes to bed at 7:30 pm, so it's really like living alone--with someone who secretly comes in and messes up the house!!

I also have systemic lupus and have been on Plaquenil for 15 years. And, yes, make sure you get your eye exams at least once a year. I also have fibro, cfs, severe arthritis, and much more. See my profile for the long list!

I know what you mean about all your family and friends getting tired of hearing you complain, so I just quit complaining. I realized years ago that nobody else really cared how you felt, so I just keep it to myself unless someone shows a real interest.

I've been having some really bad days lately. I couldn't get out of bed until 4 pm today, and it was 7pm yesterday--almost time to go back to bed!

I'm in a wheelchair so I can't get out of the house much,, which I really hate! I used to be a real go-getter, and now my go-getter days have got up and gone!! lol

I'm glad your test have shown that most of your major organs are unaffected. It has affected my heart. I have lots of heart issues.

You can find lots of buddies here, and on the fibro and other boards. See, you've already found one! Me!

Take care,
    JLH