New to the Board...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kat_tastrophe, Oct 3, 2005.

1. kat_tastrophe

kat_tastrophe New Member

Hello,

I'm new here, but I'm glad I found you all. My husband and I sold our house and moved in June, and I developed a horrible pain in my shoulder soon after. It was so bad my Dr. ordered an MRI which showed a ton of inflammation and biceps instability. Then, the pain moved to the other shoulder...so of course I thought I was favoring the one, which put all the strain on the other. Also, I get horrible tension headaches. I usually ignore the pain until I get so tight and tense that I get a headache so bad I can't get out of bed.

My new Dr. did all these tests and questions and told me I have fibromyalgia, and he also told me that it's not natural to have pain so severe in my shoulders/arms that putting my arm under my pillow at night wakes me up! Who'da Thunk it? I just figured I was getting old, and as another birthday approaches on Friday, that's not too far off the mark either!

Anyway, he wants me to take Trazodone at night and Midrin with Advil during the day...is this going to help? My arms hurt so bad that moving my mouse on the computer hurts! Oh, and will I EVER feel like I'm not exhausted during the day. I'm so tired after being in bed for 8 hours, I wonder why I bother!

Any advice is appreciated as I have no clue how to improve my life at this point, I just know I want to...

Thanks~
    [This Message was Edited on 10/03/2005]
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Glad to have you join us, but sure am sorry you have been diagnosed with FM.

As for your sleeping, have you tried sleeping with your arm down instead of under the pillow? It helped me a great deal, but took awhile to get used to not having it up.

I do not take the meds you are on, except that I do take the Advil gel capsules when the pain is very bad, other than that I do not take anything for the pain except for magnesium. It has been wonderful for the FM spasms too.

If you will change your 'Title' to let others know that you are new to the board, you will get more responses.

Fibro is no respector of age, we have some members here that are still in their teens...........

Again, welcome, and I do hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I am sorry you have contracted this awful disease. Your arms and shoulders sound just terrible...I hope the medications you doc gave you will help. I guess time will tell; all you can do is try and then if they don't work, talk to your doctor.

It will be good to know you...post often!

Take care.
    Sue
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Welcome to the board but sorry that you are having so much pain. Sleep disorder is part of FM and a lot of people are on Trazadone for that. Shirl is right about Magnesium. A lot of people are helped by that but go slow at first. If your pain meds don't work well,though,make sure to work with your Doctor to find something that does work.

You will find all kind of great information and support here. Just keep reading and asking questions.

Take Care

Kathy.
  5. Christinawensell

Christinawensell New Member

warm wishes to you,

Thank you for joining us on this great board.

You will find you will get lots of helpful information and meet alot of new friends that are going through the same issues as you are.

Just wanted to send my warm wishes your way.

WELCOME,WELCOME,WELCOME

Christina
  6. vertiesmth

vertiesmth New Member

HI KAT, IM NEW TO ALL THIS TOO, BUT SOME AWFUL NICE PEOPLE ON HERE WITH OUR PROBLEM. YOU WILL BE SURPRISED HOW MUCH INFORMATION YOU WILL GET ON THIS WEB SITE. I LOVE IT. VERTIE
  7. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

i am so sorry about the pain in your arms. FMS is no respector of places to put its pain.

You will find many great people willing to listen, try to answer your questions, or just listen to you vent. You need to do that sometimes.

Gentle hugs
  8. spmary

spmary New Member

HI Kat..Welcome...You have come to the right place. I am so sorry that you got this terrible dd. But the people here are so loving, and caring with so much knoweage and willing to help. I don't post much but read alot and find that I don't need to ask much because I've already read it.
    But ask all you want and vent too. We all understand that.
    Again, thanks for coming...LOL, Mary
  9. Countrymom

Countrymom New Member

Welcome to the board.

There are alot of great people here. Ask any questions, someone will always know the answer.

Dani
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

Welcome to our board/support group. I'm glad that you found us!

I am 54, married with 3 adult children and 2 grandsons, retired after working for 30 years with the same corporation, and have a multitude of illnesses (see bio) in addition to fibro.

When I worked, I had more pain in my arms, shoulders, and back that anywhere else. I also had constant tension and migraine headaches. I would come home and put ice bags between my shoulder blades to "numb" the pain, it would hurt so bad.

What helped me the most then for the headaches was being put on Zoloft, an anti-depressant, and a beta blocker. The beta blocker somehow controls the blood flow through your brain and heart and doesn't allow any tension/constriction of the blood vessels for headaches - ??????? Anyway, it helped then!

Now I am on Cymbalta, a newer anti-depressant which helps on nerve pain (the fibro). I also take Neurotin, which works on the nerve pain--but is not a pain pill. I have tried dozens of meds to help sleep, but the muscle relaxer, Zanaflex works the best--it relaxes me enough to sleep and wake up without than hangover effect from a lot of muscle relaxers. It might also help your headaches!

I've tried the Midrin, etc. for the headaches but it never did help. The antidepressants and beta blockers are preventative stuff and work so much better. Then, we I got a really back headache, I had stuff to take a go to bed for the pain.

Also, hot showers or hot baths help on the muscle pain. A heating pad is also my best friend while watching TV at night! I keep it on my low back!

Take care,
    Janet
  11. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

was an effective anti-depressant when I was taking it years ago. But then, any anti-depressant is helpful to me.

I noticed several years ago that when I went to bed there no longer was a natural place for my arms. One under the pillow was uncomfortable and anyplace else felt unnatural.
    Don't know if it's age or disease.

Started a new supplement (Cherry pills) y-day and woke up feeling like someone had been beating me w/ a stick during the night. My legs and arms hurt and I feel lousy all over. Reaction or kawinkydink? Hard to tell what's gtoing on w/ FM an CFS.

Hope your find help here. You're certain to find people who are willing to help. Good luck.