New to the group

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by charlor, Apr 10, 2003.

1. charlor

charlor New Member

Cortef as treatment for Addison's 04/10/03 12:12 PM

Hi all,
    I am new to this, but this site is wonderful. I was just diagnosed with Addison's disease a week ago. ( I also have fibromyalgia and multiple back surgeries, chronic pain). I have been having symptoms of fainting, weakness, fatigue, irritable, can't handle any stress for 2 years. My doctor said it was all due to the fibromyalgia. Then about 2 months ago, I started passing out. My blood pressure was 70/30 and when I fell and knocked out my 4 front teeth, my doctor finally put me in the hospital for a few days and said the low blood pressure was due to my medications. So he decreased my medications and the symptoms continued. I went in last week again for low blood pressure, short of breath, feeling hot and cold. My regular neurologist was away so his partner was covering. (I finally had a doctor to take time and listen to my symptoms). He did a cortisol level and it was 0.4. I had the typical symptoms for Addisons disease for over 2 years and my doctor never ran the test for it. I was started on Cortef 20mg in the morning and 10mg in the evening. That was last Thursday. I was beginning to think I was going nuts. I cannot handle any kind of stress, I am depressed, tired all of the time. I have not had any kind of life for over 2 years. I am so glad to find this website to talk with others that are feeling the same way. I was wondering if any one is on Cortef and if they are feeling any better with it and if so, how long before you noticed a difference. Thanks so much for taking the time to listen. I anxiously await a reply.
    Charlene
  2. DebP

DebP New Member

Just wanted to welcome you to the board!! There is a wealth of info here, and I hope you find the answers you are looking for very soon. Im sorry, myself I dont even know what Addisons Disease is. Could you please let me know what it is and what causes it?? It definitely sounds like no fun, I do hope that you are feeling better very soon. Also, Im always looking to make new friends from the site too so if you ever want to email me, my addy is in my profile!!! Again, Im sorry I couldnt help with your questions, but I still wanted to send you a warm welcome to the board. The chat rooms here are also a good place to go if you like to chat live with people who have alot of the same problems that you do. Well, anyway, very nice to meet you and Hope to hear from you soon!!

Your Friend,
    DebP
  3. ForeverFlaring

ForeverFlaring New Member

Hi there! Welcome to the board! I am sorry you have been having so much trouble but it feels great to finally get a diagnosis isn't it?

I look forward to reading your posts and sharing a smile with you.
    :)