New to the msg. boards- tired and clueless!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by egorman, Aug 25, 2005.

1. egorman

egorman New Member

Hi everyone-
    I have been suffering from extreme fatigue for a few months now and my doctor (internist) can not seem to find anything wrong with me, so he suggested that i see a rheumatologist (fyi- during one of my appointments i said that i felt like it was either mono (which i dont have) or some serious case of CFS because i've never felt this tired or weak in my whole life, and he told me that he didnt believe in chronic fatigue syndrome)...
    It all started with a severe sore throat and a viral infection, which seems to be better (the sore throat is definitely gone), but the fatigue has not subsided- if anything it has gotten worse. So much so, that it seems like I can't sleep enough and I can hardly remember what it feels like to get out of bed and feel energetic and refreshed.
    My question is, what type of doctor should I go to and what types of questions should I be asking?
    Thanks for reading and helping out!!

2. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

I must say, your description sounds like a classis case of CFS. That is how it starts for a lot of people, including me. A viral infection that you just never get better from.

You will see here that a lot of different people are being helped by various types of doctors. But it sounds like you must switch to a new doctor since your doctor he doesn't "believe in chronic fatigue syndrome." Unfortunately, there are still a lot of doctors out there who are like that, but there are more and more that are providing excellent care and help. I would suggest a post asking for others about recommendations for doctors in your area.

There are also many of us here who are going to FFC - Fibro Fatigue Centers, that are located throughout the country. Check out their website by doinhg a search for their name. And if you search here for FFC, you will see lots of posts about other experiences with them. Everyone who has tried them seems to be getting positive results, including me and I only started seeing them a couple of months ago.

Anway, welcome, you will find a lot of great people and information here!
    Maggy
    the main thing is you must find one who
  3. badluck

badluck New Member

I would try a very good internist (they are better at making the correct diagnosis) and possibly an endocrinologist. I am learning that a lot of my fatigue may be due to undiagnosed thyroid problems. My results always come back in the "normal" ranges, but it seems only about 30% of thyroid problems are detected this way. Ruling out anything thyroid/adrenal/lymphatic is always a good start. Also, a good rheumy will be able to rule out all types of arthritis, lupus, etc. I would plan on several doctors until you get a diagnosis, and then go with the best treatment plan available. Good luck and welcome to the board!
  4. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

Welcome to the board.

My experience with a rhuematologist was not good. They act like they don't want to fool with a Fibro or fatigue patient. The one I went to was even kind of rude about it.
    You know you're in the wrong place when they say they don't even believe in CFS.

I was discouraged after my visit, even though I did get a diagnosis from him.

I just went back to my family doctor, and told her how I was feeling, and that I had been diagnosed, etc. She was very understanding, and seems to be quite knowledgable about the subject.

She prescribed a couple of medications, and told me if they didn't help, that she would try something else.

That has been about 3 years ago, and I believe I've had as good a care from her as I could probably get in the city where I live.

It's kind of a hit and miss situation with doctors. I wish I had a good answer for you. Maybe someone else will post, and be able to give you a better answer!

Your friend,

Kinsie
  5. egorman

egorman New Member

thank you all so much for your replies- they all truly, truly help!!
    can I ask you-- do you really think this could be CFS? and also, if so, what kinds of treatments can I expect?
    I stayed home from work today because it felt like my bed had magnets in them and just wouldnt let my body go!!!
    Esty
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Glad to have you join us. I sure hope you find the right doctor to find out what is really causing your problems.

I have FM not CFS, but do have some of the cros-over symptoms, especially the fatigue. It is horrible when it does hit me, but it does not last long like with CFS.

Again, welcome to the board, and let us know how you are doing.

Shalom, Shirl