New to the site

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DonnaSR, Oct 2, 2002.

1. DonnaSR

DonnaSR New Member

Hello everyone,

I am new to the site but think it will be very helpful. I have only been diagnosed with FMS in the last few years, but have probably had it for most of my life. I am a survivor of child abuse, and can't recall ever having a good night's sleep before meds. I also have arthritis, and my blood work showed EBV.

I have been working with Dr. Manning in Southington, CT and truly believe without his expertise and advice I would be completely disabled by now. My FMS had been in control with minimal pain after working with Dr. Manning; however due to several factors this past year, including personal setbacks and losses, it is now out of control. I am in constant pain, often severe, am always tired, can't remember things, and my immune system is not up to par. I will be taking a 2 month medical leave from my job to do intensive physical therapy to manage pain and get my strength back. I did not want to take a leave of absence, but finally made peace with what I need to do for me.

I have to say I am surprised to see that not everyone has had a good experience with Dr. Manning. I find that he is always thorough, referring back to my file and his notes. I go in prepared with my questions and health updates and he listens and then we discuss them. He has always been clear and concise. I think he is the first doctor who's really listened to me. Please understand, for those of you frustrated with him, I am not defending him, only stating my personal experience. I myself have been to doctors who came highly recommended by people I trust, and have been disappointed and frustrated. I think you either make a connection or you don't.

I am glad I found this site and hope to be able to contribute information that will be helpful to someone. I am certain I will find information helpful to me.

DonnaSR
  2. DonnaSR

DonnaSR New Member

Hello everyone,

I am new to the site but think it will be very helpful. I have only been diagnosed with FMS in the last few years, but have probably had it for most of my life. I am a survivor of child abuse, and can't recall ever having a good night's sleep before meds. I also have arthritis, and my blood work showed EBV.

I have been working with Dr. Manning in Southington, CT and truly believe without his expertise and advice I would be completely disabled by now. My FMS had been in control with minimal pain after working with Dr. Manning; however due to several factors this past year, including personal setbacks and losses, it is now out of control. I am in constant pain, often severe, am always tired, can't remember things, and my immune system is not up to par. I will be taking a 2 month medical leave from my job to do intensive physical therapy to manage pain and get my strength back. I did not want to take a leave of absence, but finally made peace with what I need to do for me.

I have to say I am surprised to see that not everyone has had a good experience with Dr. Manning. I find that he is always thorough, referring back to my file and his notes. I go in prepared with my questions and health updates and he listens and then we discuss them. He has always been clear and concise. I think he is the first doctor who's really listened to me. Please understand, for those of you frustrated with him, I am not defending him, only stating my personal experience. I myself have been to doctors who came highly recommended by people I trust, and have been disappointed and frustrated. I think you either make a connection or you don't.

I am glad I found this site and hope to be able to contribute information that will be helpful to someone. I am certain I will find information helpful to me.

DonnaSR
  3. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

Just a short note to say Hi and that I'm glad that you have a Dr. that you like. I have 2 that I trust and work with me to help make my life as active as it can be.

I'm sure that you'll find lots of help here and will look forward to the posts from you on what helps you.

Hope you have a Sunshine day,
    kredca4/sharon
  4. ladydi

ladydi New Member

Hey Donna,

Just a warm welcome to the board. Seems like you're on
    the right tract with a good Doc.

There was an article in our local paper lately, it said
    the CT was the healthiest state in the USA.

Just thought this would be interesting to you.

Warm Welcome,
    LadyDi
  5. DonnaSR

DonnaSR New Member

Jane,

I can appreciate your frustration with the doctor, but I honestly have found him to be a Godsend for me. This will be my first medical leave, and I am going to work hard to make it my last. I have 6 months of sick time saved at work, so I don't think 2 months or more will be an issue. I guess I don't understand what happens between the doctors and insurance companies when it comes to disability. I know long term disability can be a problem, but I was under the impression that short term was not. I try to do everything I can to stay active. I hate that I can't do the things I used to, and Dr. Manning and I are working to get me back to where I was. That is my goal, and he is on board with that. I also see a therapist for the depression and panic that accompanies my FMS. I have found that deep meditation when I have the time works wonders. My job is very stressful, as most jobs are for people, and I have been working between 45-50 hours per week for at least a year now. It was my choice, but of course real life can get in the way, and suddenly you feel you have lost control. Then the FMS goes into a major flare, and life becomes hell. I choose to not live in hell. I will be doing 8 weeks of intense physical therapy beginning Monday. I will be doing aquatic therapy, muscle strength, pain control, and therapeutic massage. I'll let you know how it goes. I look forward to hearing from people on what has worked and not worked for them. Thank you for sharing your information with me. I hope your tests go well, and you start to feel better soon.

Best wishes always,
    Donna
  6. DonnaSR

DonnaSR New Member

LadyDi,

I remember hearing something about that on the local news, but working long hours leaves me litte time to really listen. I would be interested to know which paper if you don't mind, and I will do an on-line search for the article. I am curious to know why we are the healthiest state, and not someplace like Colorado where there is little pollution (or so I've been told). I didn't see anything in our local papers on line, and since I don't subscribe to the papers, I probably miss a lot. But most of the news is too depressing anyway!

Best wishes always,
    Donna
  7. ladydi

ladydi New Member

Hey Donna,

I'll do my best to look through all the papers still
    sitting around here and see if I can find it.
    I was thinking CT is a small state. (?)

Thanks for reply back.
    LadyDi
  8. DonnaSR

DonnaSR New Member

And I just read a report today that stated residents of Hartford and Fairfield counties are at a high cancer risk due to diesel fuel emissions from the semi's. It's kind of funny with that info that we are considered to be a healthy state! Wonder what the criteria was?!

Thanks for looking for the article.

Best wishes always,
    Donna