New to the site

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jordasta, Mar 16, 2003.

1. jordasta

jordasta New Member

Hi folks. I'm new to this site, but I have fallen in love with it after reading so many postings! I was diagnosed with FM over a year ago, but my Dr. seems to think I must have had it for at least 6 years now. (Glad he finally got tired of my whining!)

I have the most intense pain in my legs and lower back. I have tried several meds, but I am allergic to almost everything (aspirin, ibuprofen, sulfa, etc.)! I am still working since I am a single mom and don't have much of a choice! But, this past week has been really difficult. I don't feel like getting out of bed in the mornings, but it hurts to lay there. I don't sleep because I can't get comfortable and my legs twitch and ache all night.

I have used Flexeril and am quite fond of it, but it (like so many other things) hurts my stomach. I feel like I'm so alone in all of this. My Mom and the rest of my family make jokes and really don't understand when I say I just don't feel like doing things. I wish they could understand why!

I get so discouraged because I want to spend time with my son and do fun things with him (he's 5 and VERY active!), but I just don't feel like moving. When I finally get a day off, I just collapse!

I'm so glad there are people out there who understand and have the same issues. Thanks for being there!
  2. dghoover

dghoover New Member

Welcome, You are't alone any more. You will learn a lot from the postings. I'm fairly new to the board too. But I really enjoy it. I've been DX with FMS for 3 years.
    I don't work any more I'm on DDS. I will be praying for you. dghoover
  3. AppleDumplin

AppleDumplin New Member

I am fairly new to this site also. It is a definatlly a wonderful place and the people make you feel so welcome and at home here. My husband has FMS / CFS so I find it helps me understand what he is going through by coming here. Just wanted to send you a welcome home!!
    God Bless!
    Apple
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hello Jordasta, welcome to our world. Glad you found our board, and we sure hope you stay with us.

I have problems with meds too, most I could not tolerate. I am now taking mainly supplements, and am doing very well (for the the time being anyway!).

Most people don't understand how we feel, its hard I would suppose for those who are healthy to comprehend how we can be fine one day and so bad that we are in the bed the next!

I have had Fibro for 20 plus years, so I have been around the block a few times convincing people that I am truly sick. Plus most of us do not look ill, so to the 'normals' if you don't look sick, then you must be faking it!

You will learn a lot on this site, we have some very informed people, they are friendly, and compassionate and they sure understand how you are really feeling, we are all sick to one degree or the other.

HOpe we hear from you often, and keep you chin up and don't let anyone make you believe that you are imagining all these terrible things we feel.

Again, welcome.
    Shalom, Shirl
  5. jeanderek

jeanderek New Member

I am glad that you found this site, the people here are great and we all know what your going through.
    Your family is either in denial and doesnt want to accept the fact that your sick or they are very insensitive.
    I had to take my family aside one by one and explain to them that this isnt something that is just going to go away. I found that when you talk to them one on one they take things alittle more seriously then when you try and explain to them in front of other because you are devoting all your attention on them and they don't feel quite as uneasy asking questions about what is going on either. I would try my best to do this so they will stop all the clowning that is hurting you. I was in the same boat as you are. They were always making fun of the way I walked when my hips were hurting or something to that affect. I finally got sick of it and it got to the point where it just wasnt funny anymore and I had to put my foot down. Not only is this hurting you but if they are doing this in front of your son they are giving him the idea that its ok to make jokes about Mommy when she is hurting and kids are very impressionable, he is just 5 right now but you wouldnt believe what kids can absorb. They tune into stuff we wouldnt believe they would. So its important to stop it now and let them know that hey its not ok to treat me like this. I hope that you get to feeling better soon, I have had this for 5 years and its a very hard thing to live with and having people around you that are not very understanding just adds to the emotional pain of this DD. I wish you all the best.

hugs,
    Jeanna