new to this site

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by roomrat, Jan 16, 2003.

1. roomrat

roomrat New Member

Hello. I've had fibromyalgia for about 7 years. I"m on medication that lets me go about life fairly normally, although I've also learned that 'pain-free' isn't going to happen! I've also got diabetes (more likely to have low blood sugar now), a history of eating disorders, and autonomic dysfunction/dysautonomia. I'm a nurse, and work full time-just started a new job. I also just moved 1300 miles (drove the u-haul,and unloaded it when I got there). When I was unloading the truck (dad helped), my left arm seemed to get more out of whack than the rest of me... it's been sore for about 6 weeks, especially when I extend my arm. It's not the worst pain I've ever felt by a long shot, but is getting rather annoying!!! I can't really go see anyone about it until my insurance kicks in (another 7 weeks)- anybody got any words of wisdom??? For the most part, I'm not a fibro 'victim' (meaning I don't choose to let it effect me going on with life- for the most part anyway!), but sometimes ya just need some hints from folks who have been there! Thanks
  2. catgal

catgal New Member

Hello Roomrat~~So glad you found us and write a post. There are alot of compassionate, knowledgeable people on this Board, and I'm sure more will be along to offer suggestions. We also have several nurses and other professionals on board.

I don't know how you managed to do all the moving, driving, and unpacking. That would wear anyone out, plus the stress of relocating to a new area and taking on a new job.

You may have just strained your arm or perhaps a little arthritis has kicked in. Is there much change in environmental climate from where you've moved from and to?

I have FM/CFS, osteo/psoriatic/rheumatoid arthritis, degenerative disc disease, asthma/allergies, and IBS. When I put extra strain on my back I used Tiger Balm, a heating pad at home and heatwraps when on the go. I also take a hot soak in epsom salts and eucalyptus oil. This all helps my aching, painful back. Does your arm feel "sore" or "painful"? Are you taking any meds for it?

As the problem with your arm has been going on for six weeks, perhaps you'd best have a doctor look at it rather than waiting on insurance to kick in.

I hope you are feeling better soon, and that you enjoy your new job and new location.

Others will be along to welcome you, and may be able to offer additional suggestions. Glad you joined us. Best Wishes, Carol...

3. ozgran

ozgran New Member

Hello Roomrat. Have not been long amongst this group of people either. Try to read the posts everyday, but have been a bit quiet about writing posts. Find the folk here a great support tho and get heaps of information. I can't offer you any advice. Am sure others will, but I just wanted to say welcome. Hugs Ozgran.
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi, welcome to the board. Sorry you are having problems with your arm. I usually use a rub called; 'Banalg' Hospital Strength, its sold in most drugstores. After I put the rub on I wrap the area with a heating pad. It is really a great help for the pain of Fibro, arthritis, bursitis too.

Glad to have you join us, and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. roomrat

roomrat New Member

Thanks for the welcome! The climate change was this: south central Texas to northern Illinois!!!! I haven't seen below zero wind chills for 17 years!!! I guess if it doesn't start getting better soon (like more than 6 weeks from onset!) I'll have to see someone before the insurance kicks in, but the pre-existing thing is a problem (I haven't seen anyone about the fibro for a couple of years- just stuck with the meds I've been on (Neurontin and Zanaflex; also have Darvocet for as needed use, but don't like to use it!). When I extend my arm (and a little when it's 'bent'), the area about 2 inches above and below my elbow is a 'deep sore'- not sharp, but more like someone leaning on a tennis ball into the muscle. I've got some analgesic creams, so will try that. The move was a bit ambitious (but got done)- I hired someone to load the truck on the Texas end, did the driving alone (with the dog...), and then unpacked the truck with my dad in Illinois. Thanks for the ideas.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/16/2003]
  6. Fibromiester

Fibromiester New Member

```What a Move! I hope you are getting settled in nicely. I'm sorry about your arm. The suggestions here are good. And I, too, would suggest a Dr. if your arm doen't improve soon, maybe even a Chiro, or Massage, if you can afford it. Maybe you did strain it a bit on top of the Fibro, plus the stress you were and are in, plus the Cold!! Just tense muscles will set me off in a vicious circle of pain! Do what you can to relax, now that you're moved in...Glad to have you here on the 'board', come back often! I have learned so much in my short time here! {{{ Hugs }}} Fibromiester