new to this

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lynnesmith6, Jun 17, 2008.

1. lynnesmith6

lynnesmith6 New Member

I have been diagnoised with fibro but my neurologist recently but stil must seen the rhemotologist on to 26th to confirm. The neuro guy did tons of blood test to rule other stuff out and says I also have migraines and stress headaches ( hormonal probably). Any help would be appreciated since this is a whole new realm for me.
  2. lynnesmith6

lynnesmith6 New Member

thanks for the support thought it would be helpful to talk to some folks that understand
  3. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

dear Lynne,

Welcome to this website and sorry about your diagnosis. A rheumotologist is always a good person to confirm your neurologists belief that you have FM.

I was diagnosed with FM five years ago. I also went thru a battery of tests to rule out other diseases/conditions.
    There is no "positive" test for FM. If you react positively to 11 of the 18 tender points on your body - then the dr. will more then likely consider it FM.

There is so much information regarding FM - it can be pretty overwhelming. It is such an individual condition - that no two people are the same with their symptoms/treatment/outlook etc.

I would advise you to get the book FIBROMYALGIA FOR DUMMIES. It comes in paperback and is a very straight forward guide to Fibromyalgia. It is written so that the average person can read and understand - not in "dr's language".

On the 26th...if the FM is confirmed, your dr may offer you different medications or treatments. Try to read up before your appointment so that you are prepared to ask the right questions and understand the meds that may be offered to you. Most have side effects.

Whenever I visit the dr. - I come with a list of questions or concerns. This helps me to organize my thoughts.

Good luck and I hope I have helped you in some way.

4. victoria

victoria New Member

There's a lot of possibilities regarding different distinct 'things', ie, infections, hormonal imbalances, environmental toxins, heavy metals, etc that can cause or at least add to our burdens.

There's a lot of support here, and it may seem overwhelming as so many find different things often are major components to their CF/FM/ME - it seems we have pain and/or fatigue in common, but then there's a whole host of subsets of people... and subsets of how well different people respond to different protocols. Sort of a "no 1 size shoe fits all" kind of thing.

But, there are lots of helpful people here, and so much to read... the research library up above (white tab, 2nd from left) has one of the best collections of research & articles about CF/FM/ME and other diseases that overlap.

If you'd like to look at all the possibilities that may be part of -or the sole reason even- for your dx of ME/CFS. I just bumped it for you and others new to the board, it's titled
    ***CFIDS/FM/ME == OTHER DIAGNOSES to INVESTIGATE== Please add any!

and here's the direct url you can copy/paste if you don't see it:

Hope this helps, these dang diseases are confusing, & actually I'm not sure it doesn't ever stop being confusing. But lots of great help and support here.

all the best,

5. tandy

tandy New Member

Glad you found us~
    thou,... sorry your one of us :(

I have Fibro,... and I get the nasty Migraines, and tension headaches. OMG they can be horrible!! some of mine will last 4-5 days!! so I can relate to your situation.
    When you read up on Fibro,... are you finding alot of it rings true for you?? Do you have alot of the symptoms?

One supplement for muscle pains I'd recommend is Magnesium. Other than that,... I find hot baths with about 2 caps of epsom salts added to the water helps with pain. (before bed)

Best of luck & nice meeting you,