New Topical Neuropathic Pain Treatment

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nocalgrl, May 13, 2003.

1. nocalgrl

nocalgrl New Member

Hello all.

I'm new to the list but would like to hear if any of you have tried a new product.

I received a sample of Neuragen from a pain management group in Northern California, made by a company called Origin Bio Medicinals. It's a topical oil for treating neuropathic pain. While I only got a small sample I have to say it worked great - although I now smell like a geranium. Seemed to work on a small area within a few minutes and the pain relief lasted for hours.

My question. Have any of you had any experience with using this product on a larger area?

2. jamedw1

jamedw1 New Member

geraniums always remind me of snake oil...
  3. nocalgrl

nocalgrl New Member

Thanks for the welcome nink. Yes, I searched the boards as well but then, on the off chance, searched Immune Support's online store and found the product! It must be new to their catalog.

I also took time today and reviewed the research on the Origin Web site and the testimonials and you're right, it DOES sound promising.

I'm going to take the plunge and try what I have left on a larger area tonight. Will let you know.
  4. Bacci

Bacci New Member

I am a Norcal gal too! I have always had CFIDS as my major problem but in the last year the FM has been starting to rear its ugly head. I have been having fairly constant neck pain and upper shoulder pain but can't find anything to work. Just started to use vicodin again--which used to work for a back injury and migraines. Now it doesn't work it all. I have only used it for maybe two months in 30 years so it's not a matter of becoming used to it. I think that with the CFIDS I find that most medicines no longer affect me. So, just curious if you found this stuff in a particular norCal store or chain or did you order throught the website?

Best of luck to you!
    Bacci
  5. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

The only peripherol (sp)(my brain needs a tune-up) area for which I feel pain is a raised area on the side of my upper leg...the outer side.

Now and again it will "itch"; I made the mistake of scratcing it gently out of curiosity...BIG MISTAKE! Now I have a "patch" that does indeed hurt. Will have to give this a trial if not too expensive. Love CactusLil'
  6. Bambi

Bambi New Member

for topical creams or lotions. The old Flexall
    and others help some but the best one I ever
    tried was a tube of something that a friend got
    from a doctor in Mexico. I didn't write the name
    down and and NO idea what was in it but it worked so great and lasted for hours. If I ever
    get down there I'm going to at least TRY to find
    it. My friend is using the Emu cream and swears
    by it but it IS expensive. I have Pain Stop spray, PK5, Flexall and a house brand of something and use them all at one time or another. My legs and back just ache so much the rubs help at least for a while. Hugs, Bambi
  7. IndigoSC

IndigoSC New Member

I tried the Blue Emu stuff, but I didn't find any relief at all from it, it was as if I had never put anything on...except for the fact that my hands and wherever I put it turned blue and took several scrubbings to get the blue color off...It definitely wasn't worth the money I paid for it, and I think maybe all the "testimonials" were people getting paid to say that it helped their pain...
    I'd like to know more about that Neuragen cream though...
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Go to the 'Store' link, it is sold here at Pro Health.

Shalom, Shirl

Neuragen C 5ml

3 out of 5 find comfort for sensitive and tender areas

·Fast acting capsaicin promotes long lasting effects
    ·Topical solution provides safe and effective relief
    ·Infused with geranium oil to soothe aching joints

Neuragen™ C is a fast acting, highly purified topical oil that soothes areas of neuropathic soreness and sensitivity. Neuropathic discomfort results from damage to the peripheral nerves, and clinical research has determined that the active ingredient in Neuragen™ C, capsaicin (a compound derived from hot peppers), is a safe and effective way to comfort these sensitive areas. This formula also includes geranium oil, that helps to further soothe aching joints.
    3 out of 5 Find Significant Relief with Neuragen™ C In 1992, geranium oil was tested in a multicenter, placebo-controlled study for safety and efficacy. Five groups of six patients received either 100% geranium oil, 50% geranium oil, 10% geranium oil, mineral oil (placebo) or a positive control containing capsaicin. Spontaneous and evoked discomfort scores were measured several times during the hour after application. The results showed use of geranium oil produced a highly significant reduction in neuropathic discomfort compared to placebo. They also found the reduction of discomfort increased as the geranium oil became more concentrated. Overall, data showed 3 out of 5 participants felt significant relief when taking geranium oil, while 1 in 5 experienced a greater than 60% reduction in symptoms.
    In the early 1990s Dr. Bruce Frome discovered the effectiveness of geranium oil on neuropathic discomfort. He tested 200 oils normally used in aromatherapy on patients with chronic, discomfort. In the initial study, Dr. Frome recorded the patients’ relief with the oils over a few hours. Only geranium oil provided a significant ability to soothe sensitive areas, with fast acting relief that lasted for several hours. Dr. Frome then tested the other oils in combination with geranium oil to measure their combined affect. This blend of oils helped extend the period of relief and was combined to form Neuragen™ C

Product #: N0274

(You can remove at any time)
    Add Quantity:
    Sugg. Retail: $29.95
    Our Price: $29.95

DSP Price: $28.45!!
    D.S.P. FAQ- click here
    SAVE UP TO 50%
    ON EVERY ORDER!

Safety Neuragen™ C is safe and free of side effects. Geranium oil has been used in foods and cosmetics for decades and is listed on the USDA’s generally regarded as safe list. In extensive testing the only detectable side effect is minor skin irritation in people with skin sensitivities. A slight tingling may be felt after application, and geranium oil also has a pronounced aroma.
    Ingredients:
    Active: Capsaicin 0.025%
    Inactive: Purified oil extracts from geranium, lavender, bergamot, eucalyptus, and tea tree. Produced under patent pending formulation.

9. nocalgrl

nocalgrl New Member

Hello Bacci, CactusLil and all.

Thanks to all of your wonderful replies. I was a good night, so I spent it researching the Neuragen product on Origin's web site but YES, Shirl is right, Immune Support DOES have it listed for sale in their store.

BTW, I tried what I had left in my little bottle last night and massaged it on a larger area on my calf and it worked! In a few minutes my calf was pain free for hours! That's a first!

Bacci, I actually received a small sample for free from a friend of mine but I hear that Elliott's (a natural food store) in Sacramento is talking about carrying it and of course, you can get it hear as well. One of the women I speak with from a group in Los Angeles says it costs a bit more than other things she's tried but it's one of the few things she's found that work on her feet so she feels it's worth it.

Here's some info I found on the Origin site:
    "Extensive use of Neuragen™ RL, including a controlled clinical trial, demonstrates its effectiveness as a topical analgesic which quickly relieves neuropathic pain in a variety of situations without harmful side effects. Most topical analgesics now on the market are useful for muscle aches and related inflammatory pain, but not for neuropathic pain – Neuragen™ RL helps for pain the others don’t touch. Neuragen™ RL does not numb the area of application and can be applied repeatedly. The key active ingredient of Neuragen™ RL is a purified variety of geranium oil, carefully isolated from years of clinical testing."

If you have the energy to read them, there's also a few papers on Chronic Pain and clinical trials.
    Hugs, nocalgrl

Edited; by Moderator

10. nocalgrl

nocalgrl New Member

Yes, I noticed that as well and from what I can tell, the addition of capsicum seems to be the only difference between the RL product listed on the Origin site and the C version sold here.