New Treatments or meds?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Natedagw821, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Natedagw821

Natedagw821 New Member

Hello everyone,
    Is there any new treatments or medications to treat FM??? I've had this illness for about 4 years now and I'm feeling worse as the days go on. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nathan
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I've had CFS for 11 years but just have begun with symptoms of FM and it's getting worse.

Hopefully something will come from the CDC's new info.

Marta
  3. Natedagw821

Natedagw821 New Member

4. stagename

stagename New Member

There is a new pill called cesamet. also called nabilone. (one is the drug name, one is the brand name). I don't believe it is available in the US. (i'm in Canada)
    I've recently been prescribed it, but have not started. I want to be able to take a few days off until i figure out if i will be stoned or able to drive etc.

here are some quotes from drug sites:

"Nabilone is a synthetic cannabinoid with antiemetic properties which have been found to be of value in the management of some patients with nausea and vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy. It also has sedative and psychotropic effects. "

"Fibromyalgia is a disease of unknown cause. People with fibromyalgia experience diffuse body pain, fatigue, sleep disturbance, and a generalized stiffness and swollen feeling. Fibromyalgia affects 2-6% of the general population, affecting females more commonly than males. Symptoms usually start between 20 and 55 years of age.

No medical treatment has been specifically approved for the management of fibromyalgia, however, there is strong evidence that some antidepressants, exercise, and patient education are effective in reducing the pain experienced by fibromyalgia patients. A recent study of four patients has suggested the possible benefit of Nabilone, a synthetic cannabinoid, in the treatment of fibromyalgia, however more studies are needed.

Marijuana is the common name for cannabis. Nabilone (brand name, CESAMET®), is a synthetic cannabinoid (form of cannabis). Cannabinoid receptors exist naturally in the human body and respond to naturally occurring cannabinoids produced by the body, as well as marijuana and synthetic cannabinoids like Nabilone.

In Canada, Nabilone is approved for the treatment and management of severe nausea and vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy and may be prescribed by physicians.

Research has shown that activating the cannabinoid receptors also has an effect on reducing acute and chronic pain.

Our hypothesis is that the synthetic canabinoid Nabilone will significantly reduce the pain experienced by patients with fibromyalgia and improve quality of life, compared to the placebo controlled group. This will be evident by finding significant differences in Visual Analogue Scale pain scores, number of tender points, average pain threshold, and scores on the Fibromyalgia Impact Questionaire"

Interesting, but probably not for everyone.
  5. stagename

stagename New Member

6. onlythestrong

onlythestrong New Member

I don't work for this company(I work in a gravel pit)But the thing that works the best for sore muscles(and they have been horrible lately)is "Unker's Medicated Salve" I know I reply to alot of posts about this but I can't believe how it works for me.Good luck.......
    Take care,
    Mary
  7. stagename

stagename New Member

i'm going to try this new med next week.
  8. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

See my post:

Xyrem Saved My Life. My FM doctor is doing his second or third trial on it, and it will probably be the first medication EVER approved by the FDA to treat FM within the next year.

Nothing works for everyone, but the trials are VERY promising!

- julie (is free!)

No one feels
    the pain you feel

All I know is
    love can heal
    what nothin'
    else can heal.. - Radney Foster