New trial coming - memantine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by KerryK, Jan 10, 2013.

1. KerryK

KerryK Member

This trial coming up looks interesting. I wonder if anyone here has tried memantine for their FMS? Have a look.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23286311
  2. neoplus1

neoplus1 Member

That would be fantastic if it helped. It is nice to see a study focusing on medications to treat an underlying dysfunction of the disease rather than just cover up the symptoms aimlessly.

One thing that bothers me though is that they call it a rheumatic disease. I often keep hearing people refer to FMS as such, and Rheumatologists are the ones that often manage FMS patients. Why is that? Nothing about FMS suggests that a rheumatologist should be treating FMS patients or that it be referred to as a rheumatic condition. It seems more appropriate to say it is Neurological, which I think the evidence clearly shows, and should be managed by a neurologist. Am I missing something?
  3. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

I agree! And unfortunately some rheumatologists are now beginning to turn away FM patients for this very reason. But the problem is that neurologists are not at all up on the latest research into FM. So patients are being dumped and end up with no one to help them.
    Change takes time. Unfortunately in the meantime patients are the ones who are left in the lurch.
  4. KerryK

KerryK Member

I have always considered FM to be neurological. Fortunately, rheumatologists carried the ball while the rest of medicine ignored the illness and neurologists were openly hostile about it. Let's hope some specialty continues to carry the ball since neurologist still don't seem interested. Note, this is only a proposed study and is not proof of anything yet.