New TV ads about depression, family now thinks that's

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hopeless3, Jan 18, 2006.

1. hopeless3

hopeless3 New Member

I have been diag with FMS, CFS over 4 years now, Doc's say I've had this all my life just kept pushing till I finally broke. Since my diag I have gone thru family, friends not believing inspite of all the solid evidence that this is not in my head.

Lately their have been so many TV ads about depression, so many symptons same as FMS, CFS etc. After finally convincing my family what I have is real now they are questioning it. Anyone else having the same problems?
  2. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

I think that the advertisers are just confused. They think that because an antidepressants helps fibromyalgia, the person has to be depressed. But, that is not necessarily so.

The chemicals that antidepressants regulate are throughout the central nervous system and intestines, and that is why they can help with pain and irritable bowel syndrome even if there is no depression.

They are advertising Cymbalta (duloxetine), an antidepressant that helps some people with fibromyalgia pain and IBS.
  3. hopeless3

hopeless3 New Member

Giggi,

I agree with you 100% only it's very difficult when you have a mother that always brings it up no matter what.

I do have depression but that is only because all my life I have always been so active and full of life. When I finally pushed myself beyond the limits my life came to s complete halt. I knew I never felt good, but for me it just became normal. Every year it progressed more and more and I had to fight harder and harder.

What hurts the most is when people tell me "you don't look sick" then they always manage to tell about how they know several people with FMS and function just fine.

since I have not been getting any better and in fact a lot worse so much of the time I still find it very difficult to cope with.

Thanks for the advice, it's excellecnt advice and hopefully someday people with severe FMS, plus numerous other complications won't have to constantly defend themselves.

4. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

I was shocked and piss** at the same time when I saw /still see these commercials! I hate it. Thats exactly what I thought when I started seeing them, what effect it will have on people that have maybe a fam member who will say ... HA! I knew you werent sick -- YOUR DEPREEESSSSD!
    UG. I hope that doesnt happen to you or anyone here, we try so hard! Take good care Karen
  5. MsE

MsE New Member

I'm another CFIDS person who refuses to discuss my illness with anyone except this board and my sister. Other than that, I say as little as I can about it.

Why? Because I got sick and tired of trying to explain what, evidently, is unexplainable. Who was it that wrote "Never complain; never explain"? Whoever it is, got it right.. It'spart of my New Year's resolution.
  6. DLsGroovyMoM

DLsGroovyMoM New Member

on the depression commercial...made me very upset from the first time I saw it.

I have been treated for depression and ptsd since i was raped by my cousin at 4 years old...this pain IS NOT DEPRESSION. Yes depression hurts and many of us may very well be depressed but it is most often not the cause but the effect.

I"ve since then also noticed some other adds that have gottne me upset.

there is one for excedrin migraine...ok first off excidrin keeps coming out with different spin off of their product. If you have ever looked there is NO difference in the formula weather you get the regular or the migraine AND they charge extra for the migraine one. Second anyone who has REAL migraines knows that excidrin will have little to no impact on said migraine. this commercial has a girl talking about how if you have migraines you know what pain is and just take this excedrin and in no time flat you will be just fine...WHAT KIND OF BULL DO THEY THINK THEY ARE FEEDIN US?

I GUESS it may work sometimes as caffine is a major ingredient in excridnin and also in some rx migraine meds but for a real/bad one I just don't see it...and it NEVER helped me...

I feel like this among other things/adds is furthuring our return to square 1...it tells the rest of the world that a SIMPLE OTC will cure us all..........

7. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

I agree wholeheartedly with everything said so far -- I was really upset when I first saw the depression ads, too --

For heaven's sake, we're not all depressed!!!!!!!!!

I have a history of depression, and it is terrible -- but the pain is something else entirely.