New Virus Results on Radio Show

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by UsedtobePerkyTina, Oct 15, 2009.

1. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

National Public Radio has a show called "Science Friday." Today, October 15, that show will have a segment on the virus that is now associated with CFS. This is a one-hour show and each show has three topics. So CFS should take up over 20 minutes.

Here is the link:

The show comes on at 1 p.m. CST.

2. chrissy12

chrissy12 New Member

Do you know what station that may be on our radios? Honestly, I hardly ever listen to the radio, unless I am in my car, but am interested in this. Thanks..
  3. UsedtobePerkyTina

The public radio station. National Public Radio.

4. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I was very pleased to hear this discussion on NPR today; short, but authoritative interview with one of the researchers (I forget his name).

I was interested to hear that he felt that remaining questions would be answered in the coming months. However, he did say that definitive testing may still be some time away.

I tried Science Friday's website today and the subject was noted, but no audio yet. Hopefully, it may be available later for those interested.
  5. vickiw

vickiw Member

I just listened to this over my's listed under recent episodes now.

I thought it interesting that XMRV is a mouse virus that has somehow transferred to humans. I wonder if that "somehow" could possibly be through deer ticks? I don't know much about viral transfer, but I do know that Lyme disease is spread primarily through mice, not deer as the name implies. I had Lyme disease 2x in the 2 years before I came down with CFS. I do not believe I have Lyme disease now.

I would assume that if those tiny ticks can transfer bacterial diseases, they could spread viral illnesses as well.
  6. UsedtobePerkyTina

Well, I was a little disappointed. The person interviewed really knows very little about CFS. I understood him to be someone who had studied this virus in mice. He made clear he was not one of the researchers who discovered the human link.

But any coverage we get is good.

I notice he put a spin on it I had not yet heard, basically saying, this could be the next AIDS. We expect from the study results that maybe 4% of human population has had this virus, even if they did not come down with the illness. Think of how many people have this virus, newly-discovered that jumped from mice. And it may cause sever illnesses in some people, all over the world.

Just like HIV, it quickly became an epidemic. This virus may be the cause of many human illnesses.

What does this mean for us? Attention, interest, more research and more money for research. Imagine now that autism patients, which researchers are saying may be connected to this virus, start doing studies with it. Add to that the fibromyalgia research. Add to that the drug companies.

We will soon see many study results announced connected to the virus. Again, just like with HIV.

7. Dantes

Dantes New Member

The podcast has been uploaded onto Youtube.

See this thread :
  8. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Oh, XMRV was found in the white blood cells.

"All mice carry XMRV in their DNA but they only know so far that it became infectious in laboratory mice. o_o

X: xenotropic: the retrovirus is in the germ line of mice but it won't infect mice if you inject it into them but it will infect humans. Somehow it's worked its way into the human population."

And the rest of the letters I believe are:

M: Murine means Mouse --and I believe he said this retrovirus can cause Leukemia in mice. Did I catch that part right?

RV: Virus-Related Virus or Retrovirus

X-Xenotropic literally means xeno- exotic, tropic- tropical

This was so enlightening. Thank you. Every little piece adds to the puzzle.

When they say this retrovirus jumped species or that other viruses do, they make it sound like people got it from being around animals out in nature. This is sounding like it was injected into people by major health organizations.

[This Message was Edited on 10/19/2009]
  9. UsedtobePerkyTina

I can't help but be reminded of HIV. Didn't they think that was in monkeys and jumped to humans?

My memory is not clear on that.

10. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I've read a lot about how HIV was in the Hepatitis C vaccine given to gays in SF and NYC back in the late '70s. And yes, the SV-1 it is transferred from Simion monkeys to humans through vaccines for Hepatitis, not sure if I'm recalling the names correctly though I've read that's what happened.

[This Message was Edited on 10/19/2009]