new-- w/ some questions/symptoms

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lunabella, Jan 16, 2003.

1. lunabella

lunabella New Member

hi everyone...

i'm new to this board, just diagnosed today by a holistic doctor (today) of *probable* FM... which i suspected, but a year ago a regular (western) doctor did not believe... (all i got was, after all those tests.. "you're fine, you're just depressed- here's a perscription for effexor, that'll be $500... next?" OH- so you're saying THIS is what it's like to feel "normal"---??? EVERYONE feels like this when they're perfectly healthy??? B.S.!!! impossible!!) and a year later, i'm financially destroyed from having to buy all those pills w/ no insurance or anything (towards the end, i was in the pharmacy every couple days, like a junkie, saying "all i have is $20, can i just have 3 more????" trying to ward off the withdrawal symtoms... scraping together money that was supposed to for bare survival- buying these drugs instead of paying bills, rent or buying food!)! it was horrible.

so anyway, i am OFF the effexor now, and a year later feel EXACTLY the same, SORE and ACHY and TIRED and like my body is seizing up at 35. i may not do aerobics every day or have a swimming pool, but a lot of people my age don't, and NO WAY can they possibly feel like THIS!
    i do physical activity at work, but it's apparently not enough. i'm ALWAYS dragging, and feel like it's getting worse all the time. lately it feels as if i can't go on much longer, since if i feel this bad now, i can only imagine how bad it will be in 10 or 20 yrs...!
    i do go to a low-cost therapist, but it doesn't seem to be helping. it feels like being dragged down into a hole, knowing that you have just about lost the battle.

it's also affecting my work, as i know i'm not to par... which means you are less valuble to your employer- hence less pay. lately i've been turning off all 3 alarms clocks literally in my sleep. i can't seem to get out of the poverty abyss because my body is falling apart & dragging my mind down with it. it takes energy, motivation & confidence to make enough to survive. not to mention, it's contributing to whatever depression is already there. i feel like an old woman already... and at this rate, having a kid is OUT of the question. i can't seem to think clearly, stop mid-sentence forgetting what i was saying, my short AND long-term memory is SHOT. did i mention that i feel totally depleted, physically, mentally, emotionally, financially, AND spiritually?

long story short... i visited this holistic doc & am going to trust what he says, he's literally my last hope. he says he suspects my adrenal glands are depleted & my liver is weak, along w/ the beginnings of FM. he perscribed the following meds:

*herm pharm adrenal support tonic,
    *potassium magnesium (aspartate formula),
    *biotics research livorit plus (based on a very old herbal ayervedic formula)- for liver support, and
    *seriphos phosphorylated serine- for adrenal support.
    (he also gave me a B-12 shot, to see if that could tell us anything.)

(does anyone have any feedback on these---??)

i also have to give up coffee, caffiene, sugar, chocolate & refined sugar altogether- at least for a while.
    we are going to try these remedies one by one, to do a kind of process-of-elimination thing to hone in on what exactly is the cause(s)- and what solutions can get me out of this hole. my level of functioning is pretty low right now, and i can't take much stress or stimulation... which means my social life is just about nil.

one thing i wanted to ask about symptoms:
    does anyone have sore lungs, particularly in the morning, when you wake up & take your first breaths?
    and, you know that feeling in your body when you have the flu-- that sore, achy, fever-ish, swollen, tender, sensation like you've been beat-up by a gang of sledge-hammer-weilding thugs? THAT'S what my body feels like- like it has a FEVER- although my head doesn't feel hot. in fact, most of the time my hands/neck/feet are freezing.

THANKS for listening & for any feedback anyone can offer.

take care-
    lunabella

p.s. i don't drink or smoke- & the doc suggested that i get away from all toxic chemicals, etc.. and i'm a painter, so that means i would have to find a new line of work...
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Lunabella, welcome to our world! I would not know what to tell you, you seem to have eliminated all the bad things in the food group as for diet.

I personally only take supplements/herbs/vitamins/minerals for FM. Different from what you are taking except for the magnesium, and a few other items. I have listed below what I am taking, maybe you can see if any of this might interest you too.

I have had Fibro for 20 years, and with the formula below I am now 80% better than I was two years ago.

The only thing I can add to this is that I drink half my body weight in ounces of water a day, and take a quarter of a teaspoon of Sea Salt through out the day too.

This has helped tremendously with the Fibro Fog along with the Complete B vitamins. Also I don't have headaches and sinus attacks too often anymore either.

HOpe this helps.

Again, welcome to the board, and please let us know how you are doing with your treatment.

Shalom, Shirl

------------------------------------------------------------
    Product; Pro Energy: Malic Acid & Magnesium Glycinate
    (I take one before breakfast, and one before lunch)
    This is for energy and pain.

Product; Ultra B-Complex (High Potency with Folic Acid)
    (1 capsule after or during lunch) This helps with brain fog, and energy too.

Product; 800IU's of Natural Vitamin E
    (For numbness, heart, blood etc)

Product; Ester C 500 milligrams
    (antioxidant, helps prevent colds, virus etc.)

Product; ZMA (zinc, magnesium, Vitamin B-6)
    For sleep, deep sleep also helps with muscle pains.
    (2 capsules at 10pm )

Product; Jarro-Dophilus (Probotics)
    3 a day for IBS, replaces good bacteria

Product; Melatonin (5milligrams)
    To help fall asleep, take right before bedtime.

All the above can be bought from Pro Health, be sure to ask for a free catalog/Newsletter too. If you want to call the number is; 1-800-366-6056 or you can order on-line. Just go to the 'Store' link on the top right of this page for additional information on supplements.

Product; Essiac Herbal Tea by Resperin Corp.
    This is a blood/liver cleanser. It is also known as a cancer cure/preventive.
    I take two ounces in the morning two ounces at night.
    Can be bought at most health food stores and Supplement catalogs.

Product; Polynesian Pure Noni Juice
    (I take one teaspoon before breakfast, one before lunch for my IBS, it is a great product). I order it by the case!
    Can be bought in most health food stores, be sure you get the 'pure' juice or it won't work.

Product; Natural Calm put out by 'Natural Vitality'
    This is a powdered Magnesium Citrate.
    (I take a teaspoon a day for pain also. But don't take too much it will give you diarrhea).

This is about it for the time being, as for a multi vitamin, I have trouble digesting them, so I drink two cans of Ensure a day for the multi.

Here is some good advice; I strongly recommend you add ONE thing at a time for at least a week or two, this way if you have a problem with a product/supplement, you know what is causing it. If you try to take too much at once then if you have a problem, you would have to quit everything and start over again.
    I learned this the hard way, so though I would pass on this wise advice!

It took me years to get the right things that I could take. Wasted a lot of money on eyerything from doctors, prescription meds, and vitamins and herbs too.

Just remember, we are all different, so some of what I take might not be the right thing for you. It really is trial and error with these illnesses.

Hope this helps, and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I am usually here everyday, but not at a special time.

PS, always buy the best supplements you can afford, as you really get what you pay for with supplements. Pro Health has some of the best ones I have ever taken, and I am not just promoting them, its the truth. I have taken there products before I ever heard of this board.

3. tandy

tandy New Member

I just wanted to welcome you here!!!glad you've joined in~ I have FM and you've desribed me when you explained how you feel!!flu,feverish but no fever,mega aches!etc....My hands and feet are always cold!Do you have any memory problems or cognitive? I do...I'm always forgetting this or that!I'm 39 so its not a senior thing!! A sister of mine once said...(regarding my complaints of pain)....Its just aging,everyone gets aches&pains~ well if this is aging at 39,I don't wanna see what 60 feels like!! Hope we talk again!
    Warm regards,
    Tracey
  4. andyM

andyM New Member

Lunabella,

Welcome to the board, I am glad you found it. Hopefully you can find some info here that will help you begin to get your life back.

I am so sorry for all the hard times you have been having. I can relate to all the frustration and pain, as many of us can. I have found this board to be a God send, as fellow sufferers are often some of the only people who can understand just how TERRIBLE the pain can be.

I hope you find some relief in the herbal meds. I have never tried anything herbal, but would def be willing if someone told me it would take my pain away. Right now the only thing I am on is Celexa and it pretty much does nothing (except when I stop taking it and I get the lovely withdrawal symptoms).

You are not alone in your symptoms. I think many of us can relate to the horrible pain, FATIGUE (understatement), and throw in the bowel symptoms and you have for a pretty awful day. I can TOTALLY relate to what you described with the breathing. In fact, I started a whole thread on it called, "Does anyone else have this." Check it out. Maybe some of the advice on there will help you.

In the meantime, keep us posted and good luck. I will keep you in my prayers.

Welcome with Love
    Andy
  5. laurakay

laurakay New Member

I, too, am feeling like my body has betrayed me way before it's time. I'm only 26, and I feel at least 66 (whatever that feels like!) I have memory problems, which used to never, ever happen to me, and I have the achy, flu feeling that you describe more often than not.

Know that you are not alone and that somehow something will work to help you feel better. I look forware to hearing how your regimen of supplements works out. Keep us posted!

Laura
  6. lunabella

lunabella New Member

hi again-

thanks, everyone- for listening to me vent, for all your kind feedback & to shirl for all your detailed supplement info. i will definitely make a note of all of those!

i'm writing a new note, but just wanted to pop back in here to thank y'all for your hospitality...! ;)

cheers,
    lunabella