New with some questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kaye2003, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Kaye2003

Kaye2003 New Member

Hey,
    I'm new here and was dx with FM in 2001. I've been lucky that I have been able to control it somewhat with elavil, ativan, flexril and a great mattress pad my parents purchased for me last year. I also have IBS-C, headaches and TMJ.
    Last Feb I started having some really burning pains in my left side (flank area down in front of my hip toward my groin area). Family doc say diverticulitis. Took meds. Nothing. Went to see GI doc and he did CT scan of colon and nothing. No signs of diverticulitis. Pain basically went away during the summer. (very active with youth sports in our area).
    About 2 months ago I started waking with my back (from hip to hip) feeling sore and stiff. Then my hips started burning. Started burning in flank area, down side to groin area and burning around lower ribs on both sides. Finally saw my doctor today and I almost left the table when he touched a spot right over my tailbone. He says my burning pains are from 1. arthritis in that area affecting a nerve that travels across the back, around the hip and down the groin and legs. 2. FM.
    I would also like to add that when I am up doing something, like painting, etc, I seem to feel okay, but when I sit down or lay down, the burning always starts.
    Have any of you experienced arthritis or this kind of thing with FM? Thanks you any help or advise.
    Kaye
  2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

My diagnosis is relatively new as well (2004) but I had many of the FM symptoms since my 20's.

I get burning pain in various parts of body. Hips, knees down to the feet, etc. If I overdo it then it gets worse. Neuropathic pain is very common in FM people.

I also have a problem area near my tailbone. It can be quite uncomfortable if you sit on firm chairs!!!!! I'm not sure if it's arthritis. I've had 2 body scans and the only arthritis that showed up was in my neck.

It does come and go...like many of my symptoms. I've heard that lyrica can help but I get so fed up of taking so many pills!

All the best. Hope you feel better soon.

Regards,
    Eileen
  3. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i would reccomend you to read najee posts on chronic myofacial pain, hayley cole also has alot of info on this.it this sounds like you have cmp to me. i releive this pain with trigger point therapy you can buy a book on the web.i use a tennis ball on the wall to release trigger points. if you feel you have cmp the book is a must. good luck charlene
  4. mindbender

mindbender New Member

5. Aghllw

Aghllw New Member

I feel like a human pin-cushion most of the time. LOL I get regular injections into my hips (every 3 months) and triggers into a lot of different spots as well.

I use lidoderm patches pretty regular too for that type of pain. It helps to numb the top skin which helps me out a great deal. They are not cheap, but i cut mine in half now so they go a little further.

Good luck and welcome to the board!

Lisa