New wrist pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kaymac, Jul 12, 2006.

1. kaymac

kaymac New Member

After CFIDS and FM for several years, my wrist began the "carpal" symptoms and haven't let up. I've always had finger and hand pain and wrist to wax and wane, but this time, the numbness, burning and deep ache hit and won't let up. My last 3 fingers and 1/2 of my hand are numb and tingling.

My doctor checked them, guess it wasn't "carpal" because it affected other half of hand??? Didn't do anything, said FM related. It is so annoying and painful. I use computer alot at work and just daily task are difficult, especially driving now. Any suggestions??

I get tired of hearing sometimes that it is JUST FM related?! What I don't get is why just a month ago, it hit in both wrists and won't let up?? After having this for several years? Make sense?

kaymac
  2. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

I don't have any profound wisdom to share, but I do share your pain. Someone on here mentioned wrapping it in saran (plastic) wrap and sleeping in it like that. I haven't tried that yet, but I might. I tend to curl my wrists up when I sleep and I know that's not a good thing. I'm not sure how to break that. It's been a life long habit.

Also I'm researching the mps triggerpoints to see if there is something in there causing it. It's in my right wrist and the thumb and last 2 fingers of that hand, I'm right handed, and it never lets up.

According to what I'm getting from the book, there may be a trigger point in the under side of the forearm a couple of inches below the elbow and also another trigger point in the meaty part of the thumb that need working on my part.

I think that Prickles and Haleycole have more experience in this area of the myofascial pain, trigger points and massage than I do, so you might post individually to them also.

It may or may not be myofascial pain. If it is, then it's worth finding out quickly. Trigger point massage has been very effective for a lot of the pain in my back, neck and shoulders already. I'm still learning though....
  3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Picked up a pot to cook with and my left wrist hurt so much I could die.

I have had surgery for tendinitis in that hand it was my thumb.

I have carper tunnel in my right not left so I have no idea whats going on.I'm going to make appointment with my orthopedic doc. today.

For Every Day A New Dawn Will Come......Sue
  4. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

My doc has me sleep in wrist braces bought at any Walmart when my pain is bad. I look funny, but it does relieve some of the pain. My pain goes clear into the shoulder and neck, both arms.

I have carpal tunnel extremely bad, but am holding off as long as possible because we have some unknowns out there right now.

Try the braces, they sure helped me.
    Maia
  5. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

I had wrist pain that I feel was fibro and stress from using a mouse so much with my computer. I used a wrist support for a week and it really helped. I also used some ice on it in the evenings. The symptoms went away and really have not been a problem since! Good luck!
  6. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I've had wrist trouble for a lot of years....even before the FMS diagnosis. I also work on the computer in my job (Systems analyst).

I have two firm wrist braces that I put on when I go to bed. I find that if I do that for a couple of weeks, the pain goes away.

If not, then you might want to keep them on 24/7. The support stops the pain. Has your Dr considered tendonitis? A woman I worked with had to go to physical therapy for several months of treatment before her wrists got better.

Hope this helps.

Eileen
  7. Rose73

Rose73 New Member

Doing repeative things make it worse. I have problems with my wrists, and really bad at times. I work in production, and do the same thing over and over. I find that taking breaks, and do something that cause to to walk will give a break on that. I also get stiff when sitting, and pain. And when I am standing too. There are good suggestions here. With my job, they are more understanding, but in an office, just getting up to return a file would stop the typing for a bit. Split keyboards help some people, but it takes awhile to get use to them. I have been told that people who switch over to them like them better, and more comfortable, and will not go back to the regular keyboard. Keyboard pads that goes at the bottom holds the wrists up.

I hope you getting feeling better, and that the Drs can get you something that helps.

Rose
  8. herbladi

herbladi New Member

Hi, I found some compression gloves that really help with the pain. The longer that I wear them the more they help. I just bought another pair so I can always have clean ones! They really seem to help with the swelling as well. As far as making sense I have no idea, but mine came about the same way. Now the worst pain is in my neck and collarbone. It's seem about the time I get some relief from one pain, it moves. The fibro has always done that to me, but now they say I have rheumatoid an top of everything else.
  9. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Had this problem for years, and the only thing that gives me relief are these.

I wear them while on the computer, and whenever needed.

LIGHT***********carole
  10. yourtroubl

yourtroubl New Member

My hands, wrists and elbows. They hurt when doing nothing but driving seems to be worse than even typing.

Funny thing all of my pain had subsided over the last few weeks. After a trip to the beach.

Its all coming back. I guess the steriods wore off. I hope the 38 pounds I have gained will wear off too....