New Years Resolutions anyone...?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shaz73, Dec 30, 2009.

1. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

As its new years eve I'm thinking about new years resolutions related to having CFS. The thing that I really need to sort out is my getting up/going to bed routine. I read lots of places about the importance of sticking to a routine of getting up at same time and going to bed at same time EVERY night. In 2010 I am determined to do it! But it is very difficult to maintain as I have found before.

Getting to bed at same time is quite easy...its the getting up thats really hard. I have good intentions but they disappear if I dont have to get up for work (I currently work four days a week and have to get up at 7 am). Mornings are quite difficult for me.

Anyone else?

2. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

either thats your new years resolution or you posted in wrong place!? whichever it is, I wish you well with it. Great idea...

3. CaptLex

CaptLex New Member

. . . to stop feeling guilty when I can't make it to a friend's social event or have people over. If I can do it, I will. If I can't, I won't kill myself trying. And if they can't understand my limitations, I can't let it guilt me or bring me down anymore.

I wish everyone more energy, pain-free days and clearer thinking in 2010.
  4. loto

loto Member

is to eat better. I have many more bad habits, but that's my main resolution. I'm not even going to say to quit smoking because I know I won't do it. Right now it's the biggest stress reducer I have.

Happy 2010 all. Let's all hope it will be better than 09, and that we'll all be totally healthy again!!!!

5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

......I resolved not to make New year's resolutions.....and I have done a wonderful job of keeping that one! : )

Seriously, my thinking is that most resolutions get broken which just leads to feeling like a failure....and also I think that a lot of people (& I used to think like this, too) hold off on trying to make changes until the new year....possibly even going nuts with the behavior rt up until the new year starts (kind of like, "Oh I am going to start a diet on the new year, so I am going to totally pig out until then")....that leads to having even further to go to repair the damage when one starts to put the resolution in effect (ie: in the diet exp, instead of needing to lose 10 pounds, the last hurrah of pigging out leads to a 10 pound weight gain, and the resolution now requires losing 20 pounds)

I figure that if I think I need to change something in my life, I will just start working on that change when I realize that it is needed, rather than wait until the new year (or next monday, or whenever)....not only does that keep me from going overboard with the behavior in the first place, but it also keeps me from feeling like I have to be perfect in making whatever changes I need to, thus setting myself up for failure (again with the diet exp - if I use it as a new years resolution and then I blow it one time, I think I already blew the resolution, so I might as well give up on it......but if I just start working on gradually making some changes to how I eat, then it is not so all or nothing and if I slip a little, I can get back on track without feeling like I failed)

not sure if that explanation made sense, and certainly not trying to say that everyone should forget about resolutions.....just explaining why they don't work for me as well as just making small changes throughout the yr
  6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Since I don't have much luck with holding onto resolutions for any length of time, I'll just say these are the changes I'm making this year....

I have to commit to moving more. Movement is good for me, I know it. At this point in time, "exercise" just hasn't made it into my day....FAR too tired, in too much pain, too limited on time etc. I need to make my "movement" a priority, (not using the "E" word) even if it's 10 min. 3x's a week, maybe it's just making it up the stairs instead of having my husband throw my pajamas over the balcony.

I HAVE to eat better. I realized in the last few weeks, I have had very little nutritious food. Lots of crap - peanut brittle and various snacks. I don't feel well when I eat like that.

I need to take better care of my body, my temple, so to speak. There are things that I do have control over, that I have the power to change - those are the things I can work on.

Keeping up a positive attitude and doing for others. Now my Mom would yell at me for that one cause she keeps telling me to quit trying to take care of everyone else and take care of me, but I always feel better when I do something, even something teeney weeney for someone else. I'm going to buy some small blank cards and send them to people periodically - just to let them know I'm thinking about them. Simple. Doable.

Shaz, I can get up in the morning (sometimes 4am) I just can't get going! Takes me forever - so good for you and your goal!
  7. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

although, I do wish you all a Healthy Happy New Year

Hugs to all
  8. Sceptical

Sceptical New Member

Do you smoke? It is like catching flu for purpose while sick with cfs.
  9. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

since developing FM a little over 2 years ago, i've gained over 50 pounds. i'm not ready to give in yet, and be this big.

i am going to try and eat better, and start slow with some exercise (mainly walking).

the trouble i have is, anytime i've needed to lose weight before, i dive in hard and start busting out 2-3 mile walks. i know i can't do that anymore.

i resolve to start slowly, and build up.

i know that movement is good for me.

i work through the week, and although i still have some pain, it is worse on my days off, because i don't move around as much.

i know that this extra 50 pounds is holding me down too. i mean, things as little as taking a shower take so much effort, because there's more to wash!=)

so for 2010, i am going to be more conscience of what i eat (and when i eat), and to make myself move more.

best wishes to everyone and may this year bring more awareness to our illnesses!
  10. MsE

MsE New Member

I like your thinking!
  11. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

I understand some people's thoughts about how New Year's resolutions dont work, but still good to try! As for my own getting up/going to bed routine, well the getting to bed is fine as ever but the getting up is soooooo difficult! Its easier when I have somewhere to go (like work) but when I dont its hard. Guess shouldnt beat myself up about it, but if I would cope better with fatigue by doing it then its worth it.

Good luck to everyone else with theirs...