Newbie can I consider myself DX'd?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marsupialmama, Aug 22, 2006.

  1. marsupialmama

    marsupialmama New Member

    Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here. Married mom, 3 kids, early 40s, sedentary life and a whole lotta PAIN. Been in pain for y-e-a-r-s and basically get the "male cow excrement" attitude from the MDs. I am soooo tired of being in pain. Back, hips, feet and now knees. And elbows and hands seem to be going too. They foudn arthritis in lower back and sacro-iliac joint and prescribed pain killers that, um,don;t really kill the pain. Any new pain they just tell me to take Tylenol #3's which bring other side effects...

    I need to lose weight but am too much pain to exercise, but if I go to the docs they just see a big mama and can't get any further than telling me to lose weight. Vicious circle.

    Anyhoo, I decided to try a naturopath and she said she thinks I have FM, which I why I came on the web and googled my way over to this site...

    So can I consider myself DX'd?? Or should I follow up with a "regular" doc? It would be a kind of relief to have an Official name for my problem(S) instead of just being this whiny wimpy person who can hardly do anything most of the time. :(

    Thanks for listening.
  2. azbubba

    azbubba New Member

    You might want to get a referral to go to a experience is that they're the best ones to tell if you have FM or not.

    And a high-five from Bubba for understanding what the cycle is with exercise/pain/fatigue...

  3. lenasvn

    lenasvn New Member

    Naturopaths don't have the legalities to officially diagnose, but now you got something to go on. I agree that the next step is to get a referral to a Rheumy. Can you have this naturopath write a document saying something like "XX present with symptoms typical for FM. A definite diagnosis is appropriate and would help XX".

    Good luck!

  4. marsupialmama

    marsupialmama New Member

    ... I was suspecting that I would have to go to a "real" doctor. Wish I could find one that can see beyond the "weight" though!
  5. StephieBee

    StephieBee New Member

    You should see a rheumetologist to be officially dx'd.

    They need to rule out every other arthritic disease etc. before they can dx you. You need to make sure it isnt something worse so you can be treated properly.

    Good luck.
  6. Thistledown

    Thistledown New Member

    I weighed 283 pounds back then. A GOOD Rheumatologist will be of help. Best wishes!