Newbie from Holland

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SayCheese, Nov 13, 2002.

1. SayCheese

SayCheese New Member

Hi, I am a Dutch female, 37 and just dx (3 weeks ago) with cvs and fibro.
    I find this board very comforting and thusfar I've found a lot of answers here to many of my questions. Thanks to you all.

(I hope you all don't pay too much attention to my written English)

2. SayCheese

SayCheese New Member

Hi, I am a Dutch female, 37 and just dx (3 weeks ago) with cvs and fibro.
    I find this board very comforting and thusfar I've found a lot of answers here to many of my questions. Thanks to you all.

(I hope you all don't pay too much attention to my written English)

3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I love your screen name! Welcome, your English is fine! I'm so sorry about your dx, no one wants that dx, but we are all friends here in the same situation. I, too, have found a lot of answers, comfort & support here in the few short months I've been here. People here often have exciting things they are trying, from new meds, type of exercise or supplements, and I like to hear how it's working for them. I learn something here every day!

I'm from Kansas, US; instead of tulips & windmills, we have wheat & corn here! I'm female & 46, dx with FM 3 1/2 years ago, & CFS recently. I have a husband, young teen daughter & 2 cuddly cats. Do you have family & many friends there? A good support system really helps a lot, but this board provides wonderful support for us all, too.

Welcome, & please come here often...

Hugs,
    Pam

4. Vicky

Vicky New Member

Hi,

i live in Brussels, i was interested to see your message. If
    you would like to exchange thoughts, tips or info on treatment in this part of the world please mail me...

thanks,

Vicky
  5. genevieve

genevieve New Member

Hi there in Holland,

Sorry about your dx but sure you will get lots of useful info and warm support here.

My husband and I both have CFS and live in Scotland.

We have been looking into a lab in Holland that tests for mycoplasmas and viruses (can't remember the name off hand) so we might send off for those tests in the New Year.

Seems to be quite a few people over there with this DD.

Best wishes,

Genevieve
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Welcome to the board. It is so nice to have so many people from different countries on the board!

I am in Ponchatoula, Louisiana, USA. Lots of swamps and good cooking here. Have had Fibro for 20 years. Still looking for answers.

Sorry you were dx with Fibro too, it is a difficult illness to deal with, lots of questions, few answers concerning it.

You English is just fine, will be looking forward to getting to know you better.

Again, welcome.

Shalom, Shirl
    [This Message was Edited on 11/14/2002]
  7. lucky

lucky New Member

Where in Holland do you live? Would be interesting to know because I spent time in Holland and close to the Dutch/German border.
    I am also curious to know how much FMS or CFS is known in Holland and how it is treated there.
    And....your English is great. You will find a lot of support and infos on this site which, so take care and hope to be in touch. Lucky
  8. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Put on your seatbelt and enjoy the ride!!!
    Love,
    Kady
  9. SayCheese

SayCheese New Member

Thank you all for the warm welcoming.

I am married and have a 10 year old son, Pam. Fortunately they are very supportive to me and so are my friends. But as you said: here we all are in the same situation and that gives a wonderful support too!

Hi Vicky, we are practically neighbours! I wonder though if Brussels is in the Frenchspeaking part of Belgium or that we can exchange thoughts in Dutch/Vlaams? Hope to hear from you more.

Sorry to hear you ánd your husband both have CFS, Genevieve. Maybe you will tell me more about this Dutch lab you are talking about when you have those tests done.
    (Maybe a dumb question, but what does DD means??)

Twenty years is a very long time to live with pain, Shirl.
    Sorry to hear that you too are still looking for answers and ways to deal with this difficult illness.
    Thank you for the welcome and I was very surprised to see so many people from different countries too. Very nice indeed.

Dank je, Slowgirl for your reply. Don't know much already about treatment here, but I've been reading alot on the internet and think in Belgium they do much more research on CFS and FMS than they do here. Maybe Vicky can tell more?

Lucky, I live in a very small town called Wormer and it is nearby Amsterdam (Only 10 minutes by car) Don't think you ever heard of it, do you? Do you spent time in Holland often? Hope to be in touch sometime.

And Kady, I'm all ready! Hope the road isn't to bumpy today...as for all of us here!

Best wishes,
    SayCheese
  10. genevieve

genevieve New Member

Hi Mervi,

Gosh it is extrardinary how many countries are involved in this website and Lapland, amazing!We are all so lucky to have computers/email to keep in touch and spread the news about treatments etc things must evolve quicker through this medium.

I was just wondering Mervi if you had tried full spectrum light for your depression as living in Lapland you must have very long winters with no sunlight to sort your melatonin levels and immune system out? A doctor I used to see (very good) wrote a book about light called "Daylight Robbery" His name is Dr Damien Downing, it tells you all about light etc and how more depression in parts of the world with less sunlight like Lapland etc

Anyway best wishes for improving health and love to Santa!

Genevieve
  11. SayCheese

SayCheese New Member

I´ve read your other posts before answering you. You are pretty new here yourself, aren´t you? The people here make you feel welcome immediately and it sure feels good, don't you think?

Hope today is a rather good day for you and that you are not in too much pain. When it is cold here in winter I always feel less good than in summer.(more pain). Maybe when you live in the beautiful, but very cold Lapland you get used to it more. What are the average temperatures this time of the year?

About Amsterdam: to know it, is to love it, I think! Did you like it as well? Nice to hear you paint, draw and take photographs. I was a photographer many years ago. I took pictures from all over Amsterdam for a (free) magazine for tourists: The Amsterdan Times. Loved that job.

Well, all the best for now and hope hearing from you more.
    Love and hugs, SayCheese

12. lucky

lucky New Member

You are right, I never heard of Wormer. However, I have been in Holland many times and am sure that I passed your place one way or another when driving to Amsterdam.
    I was born in Stade which is close to Hamburg/Germany, left and got married in the U.S. and am a Canadian now. My husband's parents lived close to the Dutch border.
    On our many travels, we have crisscrossed Holland quite often and have many fond memories.
    Why I asked the question about treatments in Holland is that I found out for example that FMS or CFS treatments in Germany are so far behind and mostly people have not heard about these illnesses. May be it is different in Holland, and I believe I read that one university is doing research on FMS/CFS. Take care and hope the sun is shining in Wormer. It is getting quite cool on this side of the Atlantic. Lucky
  13. Carina

Carina New Member

Nice to have you come join us.

I am 46 and live in Kansas also. I have a granddaughter, 4 years old and a grandson 7 months old. I live in a different town from m family so I get a LOT of support from this board.

This is the place to be to learn a lot about your conditions. I am sure as you journey onward that you can help us out also. It's nice to hear from people in different countries as they can shed new light on issues.
    Your English is good so don't worry about that. DD means--well I hope I can say this--damned diagnois , as it was explained to me. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Carina

14. ejay

ejay New Member

newbie welcome iwish this meeting was on better circumstances. my husband is a dutchman [ heiwegen]so its nice to talk to someone from the homeland. please don't let this disease scare you i did at first because when i first got it no one even aknowledge it now there is so much help finally starting to come about and sites like this make all the diff in the worldbut most impotant remember laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects.take care ejay
  15. pamj

pamj New Member

It's so nice to meet a new friend from Holland, although very sorry to meet under these circumstances. I am also 37, and from Boston. My husband & I spent some time last year in Holland with some dear friends and their 3 year old daughter. They live in Voorhout, and they showed us a wonderful time around Amsterdam and many beautiful villages. We also drove with them down to Belgium, and spent a couple of days in Paris.

You shouldn't worry about your English. We all seem to understand each other pretty well on this board, no matter how we say it. My dutch friend hardly spoke any English when I met her (and my Dutch was none at all!), but we became very close friends regardless! My hubby & I met her & her husband while traveling in California (hubby & I lived in California for 6 years) at Yosemite Park, and then we enjoyed having them as our guests later the same week & showing them around San Francisco. They visited us again in California, and also came to Boston to attend our wedding & have us enjoy Boston (our hometown) with them & their daughter.

My husband has traveled all over the world (and I have a little), and we have found our Dutch friends to be the friendliest & most welcoming people we've met.

I'm glad you've found this website. I hope you find many new friends from many different places!

Thanks for giving me a smile, thinking about Holland! I can't wait till I feel well enough to fly again.

take care,
    Pam
  16. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Welcome to our Board. I am originally from "New Amsterdam" - really New York. I was born in the Bronx, which was named after a Dutchman, Jonas Bronck. I also lived in Europe for a few years, in Italy. Unfortunately, I never made it to Holland, but I would like to visit. I've heard it's quite beautiful! Anyway, you'll get a lot of good information here and a lot of support! Nice to meet you!

annette2
  17. SayCheese

SayCheese New Member

for your welcoming words. I've been using this message board since last november and it's been really useful, both for information and support.

Hi Maarit, can't remember we talked about spectrum light, but I've tried it too many, many years ago and it didn't do much for me either.

Carina, is that your real name? My real name is Karina!
    And thank you for explaining what the double D's stand for.

Ejay, Pamj and Annette, nice to meet you. If one of you is able to visit the Netherlands (again), maybe we can meet.

Love and hugs, Karina (SayCheese)