newbie here with ? about arm twitching

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sunshinegal, Mar 21, 2003.

1. sunshinegal

sunshinegal New Member

Hi! I'm new to this board. I've been reading the posts off/on for a few weeks and I really feel at home. Everyone seems to "get" what it is that I am going through and the responses always seem so positive.

I'm 33 female newly diagnosed with fibro (although I suspect I have had it since college). The pain and fatigue were intense, but the pain has backed off some with vioxx. Also taking lexapro 10 mg in a.m. and 25 mg elavil at night. Fatigue is still an issue....

Anyway, here is my question-- does anyone else experience arm/hand twitching? I can't hold a pen, fasten a diaper (I have two small kids, so this is a bit of an issue...) or do much of anything with that hand. It just feels really strange!! Is this the fibro or the meds? It seems to start back in my shoulder and works its way down into my forearm and hand.

Thoughts? Comments?
    Thanks and peace,

Laine
  2. Echos

Echos New Member

Welcome to the board. I'm glad you found us here and feel at home. Everyone here is a lovely bunch and has found comfort amoung each other. I have CFIDS and FM. I have some twitching in my leg (left) but not in any other extremities. I don't know if it's a side effect or part of this DD. I'm sure the more that respond, we'll soon find out. I'm glad your here but sorry for the circumstances that brought you. Please post often, as the more the merrier. Hope you find the answers your looking for. And again, Welcome to the board.

Love,
    Echos
  3. starstella

starstella New Member

You're not alone with this problem. I've had arm twitcing of my left arm (I'm right handed) for about a year. For awhile it was really bad. Now it's almost gone. I'm not sure if it the Klonopin I started about 3 months ago or the physical therapy and chiropractic care I've had for my neck. It was always worse when my muscles were tight. Having young children, you are probably under a lot of stress and have lots of tight muscles, especially in the arms and shoulders.
  4. sunshinegal

sunshinegal New Member

Thanks for your replies and warm welcomes. It's so nice to know that I'm not alone in all of this. The arm twitching/spasms (I saw another post which referred to that and that really hits the nail on the head!) is just the newest symptom and the weirdest to date. I guess I should hang on (humor!) there is bound to be another!!

Thanks and peace!
    Laine
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

Welcome!!!!! I've had FM for 10 yrs,the arm twitching-or hand,is one of my newer symtoms.(the last year or two)
    I did'nt get it the first 7 yrs or so. But I do notice its worse when I overuse that arm ,hanging clothes...where you have to reach up...repededly.Or carrying a small child.when I pt him down,then my arm will twitch~
    I've heard of others here with the same problem.Its one of the many FUN things with fibro!! Glad your here!!
    Take care~
    Warm regards,
    Tracey
  6. judywhit

judywhit New Member

high doses of magnesuim. I am sold on this stuff. Really does help with the twitches. ZMA is helping lots on this board sleep and is loaded with mag. good luck.
    Judy
  7. sunshinegal

sunshinegal New Member

Judy,

Thanks for your reply. In addition to the meds I mentioned, I am also on 1000 mgs of magnesium and calcium daily, plus a multivitamin. It's good to hear that you have had success with the mag-- I may just need to give it more time to work.

Thanks!
    Laine
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Laine, welcome to the board. I have Fibro, and had that twitching bad in my legs at night.

You said you are taking magnesium, well so do I and it stopped it completely.

But I take magnesium WITHOUT the calcium. There are two schools of though on this. Some say take them together, others say separate.

I found that taking the magnesium a few hours before or after drinking milk etc. It is working wonders for me.

I took them together years ago, and they did not help with the twitching.

I take Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate) and also ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6). I am sleeping deeply 7-8 hours a night, and my twitching is gone, my pain in down at least 80%.

Both products are sold here at Pro Health. You can go to the 'Store' link and read about both of them if you like.

Again, welcome to the board, and hope you get some relief soon.

Shalom, Shirl
  9. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

Hi Laine

yes, I have had the twitching in both arms and legs
    as well, also trembling after overuse of muscles that weren't cooperating. Even though we are all different,
    and we don't all have the same things go on, be cautious
    of your lifting anything important. I pray you will never
    have the same difficulty, but after the twitching showed up
    here I started having difficulty with holding on to things.
    I would go to pick something off the table and proceed to drop it or send it flying. Usually, as has already been stated this happens most during flare and when my muscles
    are very tight. Hope you find the magnesium works wonders.

love, Rebel
  10. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

My right leg knows i`m tired before I do !

Always at night it and the left one sometimes gets very jumpy. I get so fed up that I go to bed and ALWAYS go straight off to sleep...

I take Magnesium with calcium and Zinc, which has helped my sleeping no end - but maybe I should try the ZMA instead....

Pat.
  11. pam_d

pam_d New Member

You are not alone!! As you can see from the responses, a lot of us have muscle twitching and other neurological symptoms as a big part of this disease. In fact, I had tingling and muscle twitching initially, before I ever had any pain at all------because of lack of pain, originally I never suspected fibro, and went through every kind of neurological test imaginable to eliminate other illnesses; in the end, fibro was the diagnosis, and I gradually started experiencing more pain & fatigue (I've had this 4 years). But the neuro symptoms, for me, remain the toughest part of fibro, though I've gotten used to living with them. My twitching tends to migrate around my body, rather than just affecting my hands or arms. I don't take meds for fibro, just supplements, so I can't comment on whether the particular combination you take makes twitching worse. And some folks here do use meds (like Klonopin) that do seem to help the twitching, so you could investigate that. I've just learned to live with mine, and it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it did in the beginning-----but yours affects your hands, parts of your body you are using for nearly everything, so naturally this would be a great concern & annoyance.

I'm glad you found this site; I've especially found great comfort in the fact that many of us here suffer from the strange neurological symptoms of this disease (some can seem pretty bizarre!) so you never feel alone, you are in good company & always feel supported. And there's a lot to be learned here about meds, supplements, sleep, diet, exercise, treatment-----all things that can help our quality of life improve.

Welcome, Laine, hope you feel better!

Hugs,
    pam
  12. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Rebel, welcome to the board, you got in under my radar here.

Yes, I had the dropping things syndrome too! I would keep my dogs out of the kitchen when I was making hot things especially coffee and tea. I dropped so many cups of hot tea that it was getting to the point that my husband was bringing me the hot drinks where I was sitting instead of my getting them myself. Then I would drop them anyway.

Between the dropping hot things, and the pain I completely quit cooking before I became a basket case!

I could not raise my arms above my head with a clothes hanger, I would get a spasm in my shoulder and drop whatever I had in my hands.

But it all stopped when I started the Pro Energy, (thats two years ago), then when I started the ZMA (one year ago), I rarely get a spasm anymore. I have been cleaning my closets out lately, which I could not do a year ago, I could not pull the clothes on the hangers to get things out.

When I shopped, I would just decide what color I wanted in the store, and let my husband or daughter get it off the racks, I could not pull the other clothes to see what something looked like. I did not try on anything, I would buy it, and go home to see if it fit, it hurt to even put clothes off and on, I had to take a rest inbetween dressing.

I could not push a shopping cart, or get anything in the grocery that was not eye level either, I cause a lot of damage before I finally conformed to the fact that I dropped or knocked down a whole shelf of stuff trying to get one object that was above or below eye level!

I have not dropped anything in a long time now, and can shop like a 'normal' again, plus I can handle the cart as long as its not too heavy.

I honestly credit all these improvements in my strength and health to the magnesium, I did not take anything new except for the two products above.

Again, welcome to the board!

Shalom, Shirl
  13. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

Shirl- thanks for your welcome, since joining the board 2 days ago I have gotten ALOT of great info from listening to you all. Also reading past posts as Mikie suggested. I agree the Magnesium does so much good, great for the muscle
    absurdities. Most of my problems of the last few months
    are neurological- presumably due to all the toxic waste
    built up. Plan to start the gua-treatment after I do some
    more research on what I need to do first. I literally have been in flare (various stages) since I had a horrid fight
    with several resistant bacterial infections (originally from food poisoning. As I am only 38 and have the physical
    aspects of 90, I have finally come to the point of really
    finding out what I can do for myself.Thanks again for your input and I am going to check out this ZMA. Have a great day all!

love, Rebel
  14. MaureenMcL

MaureenMcL New Member

Do not be surprised if the twitching spreads systemically at some point. Mine was localized to the calves for 5 mos. then spread all over my body. I have had continuous widespread muscle twitching ever since (since 8 years). I hate them. I also have nerve burning and tingling and parasthesias. Like others, I have been tested for MS and neuropathy and ALS. All negative, thank God. Good luck. Hope this helps.