Newbie Here!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pwill, Oct 8, 2005.

1. pwill

pwill New Member

Hello! I am new to fibro and this board. I was wondering if it is common to have knee pain when standing up from sitting or laying down. Lately when I get up from being down for a while I am like an old lady. Then after a couple of minutes the stiffness and pain gets better enough that I can walk normally. Occassionally the same thing happens with my elbows. Does this sound like fibro?? Any help you have to offer would be great! Thanks in advance!!
  2. pwill

pwill New Member

Thank you so much! I don't want to be a bother with my questions but it is so nice to actually talk to someone with this disease. I have a dull achey pain in my hips as well - I'm assuming that is fibro also?? At my final dx appointment I was positive for fibro in 17 of the trigger points. My doc says it is pretty active right now. I am supposed to start walking but with the pain in my knees and hips I don't know how to get going. Can't figure out how that will make me feel better!? So, which helps more heat or ice for quick pain relief? How many of you take pain meds? What other meds do you take? What OTC meds do you take? Sorry to have so many questions but...I do!!
  3. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

and welcome to the board. Yes I have stiff and painful knees and elbows too, its just all part of this DD.

Hugs
    brit
  4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I also have FMS, yet because of the meds I am on, I'm usually not stiff. I get flares in my shoulders, upper back, neck off and on.

Just wanted to say hello to you and welcome you.

Yeah, it is common to have pain just about anywhere. I have actually just had one toe or one finger in one joint have pain. Wasn't stiff just hurt...

Heat helps and some people find ice helps.

Hugs,
    Faye
  5. lisadot

lisadot New Member

Hi, pwill. Lots of people have given good advice, and I hope by now you know you aren't alone. No wonder some nasty doctors used to (and some may still!) call this "Tender *Lady* Syndrome" (It happens to men too!). It can sure hurt all over, but it's real.

lisadot
  6. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

My daughter and I have had the same problem.I think it is a fms thing.

Glad to see a new face, welcome aboard.

Sheila
  7. pwill

pwill New Member

Thanks for you responses! I think I am experiencing my first FM flare up. I feel horrible! My knees and legs are killing me and it is very painful to get up from laying down or sitting. My arms hurt too but not as bad. I am going to call my doc tomorrow. I don't currently take meds for FM because I have not needed it. What should (if anything) I ask the doc for?

THANKS!! You have all been very helpful!
  8. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Nice to have you here but sorry about the knee and hip pain.I agree that the Doc. needs to assess you and see if there is some arthritis there as well.
    If there is arthritis, anti inflammatories can help. Often , with pain meds, it's a bit of trial and error to see what works for you. It's important however, to get your pain treated properly.

I hope you stay around. You will learn so much here from many knowledgeable and caring people. Don't be afraid to ask more questions.

GOod Luck.
  9. emiltim

emiltim New Member

Hi pwill!

I have the same probem when I get up after sitting or standing for awhile....like a 120 year old woman (i'm 37)! After several steps, it starts to work itself out.
    You might try some gentle stretches, especially before getting out of bed in the am.
    You asked what kinds of meds we are on....i am on antidepressant(paxil cr), flexeril for muscles and sleep, and darvocet for pain (allergic to codiene, and vicodin).
    Hope this helps...and welcome!! -Julie