Newbie Here

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JCharity, Oct 19, 2002.

1. JCharity

JCharity New Member

Hello everybody.......
    My name is Jenn. I live in west Michigan. I was diagnosed with FM 4 years ago this month. UGH I can go wayyyyyyyyy back to my 20's (I'll be 60 next month) and see symptoms that I had. I was on a website tonight that listed symptoms of FM. I have 23 symptoms a few of which are tender & trigger points, carpal tunnel, chronic fatigue, arthritus, short term memory loss, depression, anxiety attacks, insomnia, RLS, etc etc etc. Believe it or not my doc thinks that when I quit smoking after 40 years it was such a shock to my system that it brought the fibro "out". Sigh. I thought you were supposed to get healthier when you quit! lol The Lord is the center of my life and I do not know how I could deal with this disease without Him. I am very fortunate to have a doctor who is very knowledgeable of fibro and has worked with me to find the best possible combination of meds. I am also going to physical therapy and aquatics. Hope to get to know as many of you as possible and be very active in this list. God bless, Jenn
  2. JCharity

JCharity New Member

Hello everybody.......
    My name is Jenn. I live in west Michigan. I was diagnosed with FM 4 years ago this month. UGH I can go wayyyyyyyyy back to my 20's (I'll be 60 next month) and see symptoms that I had. I was on a website tonight that listed symptoms of FM. I have 23 symptoms a few of which are tender & trigger points, carpal tunnel, chronic fatigue, arthritus, short term memory loss, depression, anxiety attacks, insomnia, RLS, etc etc etc. Believe it or not my doc thinks that when I quit smoking after 40 years it was such a shock to my system that it brought the fibro "out". Sigh. I thought you were supposed to get healthier when you quit! lol The Lord is the center of my life and I do not know how I could deal with this disease without Him. I am very fortunate to have a doctor who is very knowledgeable of fibro and has worked with me to find the best possible combination of meds. I am also going to physical therapy and aquatics. Hope to get to know as many of you as possible and be very active in this list. God bless, Jenn
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

I wanted to welcome you to the board. You've come to a good place for support and information. I look forward to getting to know you.

Barbara
  4. cpalance

cpalance New Member

I would like to welcome you to the board. I myself have only been a member for about 3 months. I just found out in May that I have Fibro. Although like you, I think I have had it for a very long time. I also have a bunch of other stuff wrong with me, like most of us. You are very lucky to have a doc that understands fms. That seems to be the first biggest obstical for most of us.
    I am glad you found this board, it helps me to just come and read the posts. I have also made some new friends. There is tons of information with new things coming along all the time.
    Again, welcome and hope to see you posting soon.

To a painless night,

Cindy
  5. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

I attribute some of this to a car crash I had in '96, but I stopped smoking in 2000 and have really since then gone downhill. I have a whole bunch of the symptoms also. I am still trying to get dx'ed what I truly believe is CFS. I have FM plus a few other illnesses. I believe that it has been a combination of things that has caused my DD. The quitting smoking was just the emotional trigger that started the ball rolling. It is terribly confusing, and I never know what is the cause of my latest pain. Which disease caused which symptoms or is it all intertwined? Very frustrating! So welcome aboard! And God bless you!
  6. kadywill

kadywill New Member

WELCOME~~~~ glad you came come be a part of the family. I'm from NC and I am 47 years old...a nurse... a mother of four grown-up kids and three grandkids. I am sorry we have to meet because we're sick, but it's a blessing to be able to know so many others who do understand!
    Love,
    Kady
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Jen, welcome to the board. So glad you have found our little corner of the world! Lots of good people here, and loads of good advice too.

I had to laugh at the smoking bit, is that possible?? Who knows with this illness.

I have had Fibro for over twenty years, and have gotten more help from this board than any doctor I have ever went too.

Again, welcome.

Shalom, Shirl
  8. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

You have certainly come to the right place. I have only been here for a short time myself, but I have already gained a wealth of knowledge and advice. My doctor freely admits that he doesn't know much about fibro, but he is willing to learn so, with the help of this list, I am helping him. He agrees, grudgingly, that my smoking is probably less harmful to my system than some of the drugs he would need to give me to calm me down if I quit, so he did every pulmonary & cardiac function test known to medical science. He was thoroughly disgusted when they all came back normal, but hasn't mentioned my tobacco use again. It certainly sounds as if you are in good hands. I hope you, and all the others on the board, all go into lengthy remissions and start feeling "normal" again.
    Kathryn
  9. Scoobsmom

Scoobsmom New Member

Hi Jenn, welcome from the Cleveland Ohio area... so glad to hear that you have found the right combo of meds to make life more tolerable and most important the Lord being the center of your life!!!!Me too!!! This website is filled with such encouraging ladies!!! Have a blessed day filled with smiles and hugs..BARB
    [This Message was Edited on 10/20/2002]
  10. Dots

Dots New Member

Welcome to our family, you will fiend lots of information and make some great friends also. Any time you need some a friend come here you are never alone. God Bless you. Dot
  11. Imnoangle

Imnoangle New Member

Jen,
    I've only been a member since 10/18/02 and everyone here has been wonderful. I hope you are having a great Monday
    Dawn