Newbie here!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by debbiem31, Jan 15, 2003.

1. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

Hi everyone, today's my first day here. I look forward to communicating with people who are in the same boat as I am! I have been DX with degenerative disc disease and although not DX, I'm totally sure I have FMS and Osteoarthritis. My mother has both. I am always in pain, always tired, depressed, and angry (cuz I can't live life like I used to). I have not been DX, because I can't find a rheumatologist that's on my DH's insurance plan. I'm just kind of living with it now.
    Most times, I just want to go to sleep and not wake up. That has to be better than living a life of pain and fatigue. If something doesn't change, I don't know how long I'll be around. Sounds pretty bad, huh?
    Anyways, sorry about that... I do have a question though...
    For several years, this has been going on and I'd like to know what it is and if anyone else has experienced it.
    When I go to bed, about 6 hours later I wake up and I feel like someone has a huge visegrip wrapped around my rib cage, and they're tightening it as far as they can!! It doesn't matter what kind of bed I'm sleeping on either. It bites, cuz I always feel worse in the morning!! After a couple hours of being up, it usually fades.
    Is this part of FMS or is it arthritis?
    Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks, and have a good day!
    Debbie, Lafayette, IN
  2. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

Sorry I can't help you with the pain in your ribs, but I can say "welcome". I haven't been here myself very long, and don't really post that much, but I do come every day and read the posts. You will find some wonderful support on this board.
    I do understand your feelings about the constant pain. I felt the same way before I was diagnosed. I hurt constantly, from head to toe. I knew there was no injury to most of the places that hurt, so I had convinced myself that I must have widespread cancer in my body and that was the reason for the pain. When I finally talked to my sister, she told me that my symptoms were very very similar to hers and she had FM. I found a rheumy and he diagnosed me and just the fact that someone had put a name to it was a comfort. It took a while to find a doctor (PCP) who knew about FM, believed that it caused pain and was willing to treat it, but worth the effort. Please keep trying. Could you call someone with your husband's insurance company and ask them for names of rheumy's who are in the plan? I see you're from IN, maybe one of the other members in that area can help. And keep coming back here. The people are wonderful, caring, compassionate and knowledgeable.

(((soft hugs)))
    (one of the) Annette(s)
  3. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I also cannot help with the rib pain, but emotionally I know how you feel. It's like, "Where is my old life". The anger can be bad, and also guilt. I decided to stay at home with my kids, and now can barely take care of them. I feel like I've failed them. I do try to find something every day to be positive about. Also talking to anyone who will listen, and especially posting on boards like this one where people really understand, are hugh help. Hope you can find a way to relieve your rib pain.

Take Care,

Maria
  4. jesuslover

jesuslover New Member

Hi, Debbie. I'm don't know about the pain either, but I did bake you a cake, did you see? LOL. You're going to find a family here and a lot of support and love, too.
    Glad you're on board with us.

Welcome again;

Nancy S.
  5. ozgran

ozgran New Member

but they were not the same as yours and I can't give any other advice. Am still one of the newer ones on the board and just wanted to say welcome. (((((Hugs))))) Ozgran.
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Debbie, welcome to the board. I have chest pain, but not like you described. Have you tried sleeping in a different position?

I used to sleep on my stomach, but would wake with all kinds of pain, learned to sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees and it eliminated some of the pain, also I sleep with several pillows, instead of flat, which causes me acid reflux.

Hope you find out what is going on with this. It sounds terrible.

Again, welcome to the board, and I hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  7. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I'm glad you found this board. You'll learn a lot and meet some wonderful people. I see you're from Lafayette. I live in Indianapolis. There are some very good doctors down here. My rheumy is very good and if you're interested I can give you her name. I don't know anything about the chest pain - I'm sorry. I just wanted to welcome you here and I hope someone can answer your question.

Annette2
  8. RoZzZ

RoZzZ New Member

I too suffer the pain you have described around the ribs...this is what chases me out of bed EVERY morning. Even though I am soooo tired and want to sleep more I can't, it's unbearable. This pain you describe do you also feel it all over your back? I can't offer any solutuions as I don't know myself. I thought it was my bed so I went out and bought a new one, but no luck I still have the same problems. I sleep on my stomach and side. Sorry I couldn't offer any advise....just letting you know your not the only one!
    I'm also frustrated with the way life has changed for me I am 29 and want to hang out with friends, but too tired too soon.
    The sound of hibernating in a cave for the rest of my life is just too overwhelming.
    Nice chatting...ROS!