newbie looking for support

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by boltchik, Aug 9, 2006.

1. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Hi, I am new to the site and looking for people who understand CFS and fibromyalgia. It is at its very worst since I was diagnosed about a year ago. Although, I think I have had it about 5-6 years. I have a lot of pain in my neck, shoulders, and upper arms and tender feet. I also have breathing problems, I don't know if it is all anxiety or part of the sickness. The breathing problems are bad esp. at night when I am drifting off to sleep, I will wake up gasping for air. I take Xanax, but do not want to be on it long term, just started Zoloft again yesterday. Thanks for listening, anyone with similar breathing issues? I just want to be a normal "stay at home Mom" again! Some people just don't understand this illness like I am sure most of you do, it is exhausting! Oh, I started physical therapy today, does that help?

Thanks again!
  2. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I see a nurse practitioner who specializes in CFS and fibro. Today was mostly and evaluation for physical therapy, but they put little electrodes on my shoulders and neck with heat in a very cool room and turned out the lights. It sends electricity to your muscles. It felt really good. I hope it helps over time. Next time I do water therapy, exercises in the pool, I guess. Then, I think they will start massages for my affected areas, neck shoulders, upper back and upper arms. I feel optimistic, I hope it works!
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I hope your therapy works. Lots of nice people here to share stories, info, jokes, etc.
  4. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Glad you found us! The people on this board have become like family to me. I hope your experience will be positive too.

Have you had a sleep study done? You may have sleep apnea.

I do not have the breathing problems, I just wanted to say hello and welcome.

I hate to say this, but since I was diagnosed 11 years ago, nothing has been "normal" for me. I pray that you will find the normalcy you are looking for.

Have a happy day!
    "E"
  5. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

There is no 'normal', even in healthy people. Everyone is different. Your experiences w/ FMS will be unique to you. We all have to find what works for us. But, the positive part about the whole experience with it's hills and valleys, has been to learn about myself. You will also discover how strong you are as a person. There is always hope and when one thing doesn't work, you will find something else. I have been through so many treatments, even different PT's that didn't work for me. But, I learned from the experiences what not to do.

You will find the support you need here. When you have a question, which I have done many times, just post it and many caring people will help you to try to figure it out.

Good Luck!............Patti
  6. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

boltchik.
    A very warm welcome to our site ive been using it for 12 years & i wouldnt go anywhere else.
    On here you will find a lot of support & advice you can come online to have a good rant answer posts whatever its up to you.
    I hope you find what youre looking for on here i feel sure you will as we all have.
    May god bless you & yours if theres anything you want or you just want to say hi im here for you whenever you need me.
    Leave me a message & i will get back to you as soon as i can.
    Fibrolady37.
  7. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded to my post. I have been feeling so sick, but I have a feeling I will find help through this website. Thank you for taking the time out to talk to me, God Bless you all! :)
  8. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

do you wake up with your air cut completely off, and then have to swallow a couple of time to be able to breath again. I do this because I have sleep apnea.

As long as I use my cpap machine this doesn't happen anymore.

Barb
  9. sandyblue

sandyblue New Member

I am new to the board also but I have information that could help.
    Have you ever had a sleep test done? Have you ever heard of a condition called Sleep Apnea. I happen to have this condition so I know alot about it. I have to use a machine to help me breath at night.
    Sleep apnea is a condition to which your throat can actually relax so much that it closes during sleep. The machine actually will push the air into your lungs while you sleep so you don't end up waking up all night long choking. Ask your Doc to have one of those tests done on you.
    This condition is common with both Lung desease patients and people whom are overweight.
    I hope I have been of some help.
    Take care and God bless.
    sandyblue
  10. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I do wake up with my air cut off, exactly. Then I swallow a couple of times and I am ok. Doctors keep telling me it is anxiety, but I know it is different. It doesn't happen every night, but more frequently lately. I should have a sleep study done. I think the doctors don't think about it because i do have anxiety and I am not overweight, so they just write me off sometimes.