Newbie male with fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ennio, Sep 19, 2005.

1. ennio

ennio New Member

Greetings everyone,

Any other male sufferers of fibro on this board? I'm in my early 30s with fibro (back, shoulder, achilles, and wrist pain with constant tiredness through the day) extending a hand out there to any men battling this primarily female condition.

I live alone, don't have a real support system, and have become frustrated, like many of you probably have as well, that because I appear to be a "normal" thin person, people are very skeptical either directly or through body language when I tell them what's going on physically. I guess it's tough to be sympathetic when you can't "see" the effects of this disease, but at the same time I can't help but feel a little discouraged.

The future is not rosy, and while I like being single, the financial burden is tougher since there is no other source of income to rely on if problems exacerbate to the point where holding a job is a trial. It has become increasingly difficult over the past 2 years to put in a full week. Right now I'm down to about 30 hours a week, and am able to do so only because my boss of 5 years is cool. I'm scared as I look forward, but no one else would know that.

Just venting, folks! Nice to have a place to do that.
  2. andymac

andymac New Member

well it is nice to talk to another male who knows how i feel,i am 38 and had fibro and cfs for about 15 years now and i totaly understand how you feel as i had to give my job last october as my body and mind could not cope with my busy career,i was a head chef for 14 years and in the end it was so hard for me to admit defeat but my doctor told me that enough was enough and i had to start looking after myself for a change,i am married with 3 kids so you can imagine how i felt having to just give up,luckily my wife has been with me from the start so she was behind me 100% but she is now working in 3 different places just to earn a decent wage,i am at present fighting with people here just to get the benefits that i am due and luckily i have a great doctor and social worker who are fighting my case.
    hope to speak to you lots more
    take care
    andy
    p.s where do you live
  3. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

This is a great place to vent or whatever you need! Man or Woman, it doesn't matter to us!

I know that to you it must be really difficult though, to have something that is predominantly a womans syndrome.

I did want to say I know how heavy the weight of the unknown future can be. I hope you find a peace soon that gives you some relief.

It's good to have you here!
    Maia
  4. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

Just wanted to say Hi and Welcome to a Great board with many caring, supportive and very understanding people.

Lots of good info here!!

Welcome Aboard!!

Hugs
    Bluerose
  5. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

you need. You are lucky to have a "cool" boss. Even though most of us are women, we all seem to have the same problems with work, other people's perceptions, etc.
  6. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

to say hi and welcome to the board. You have come to the right place for lots of help, advice and info. Plus lots of support and understanding.

hugs
    brit
  7. ennio

ennio New Member

Thanks for your hellos and sympathy! Looks like I found the right place.

Andymac, to answer your question, I'm from the Boston area. How about you?
  8. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

We understand how you feel and are here for you. This is such a horribly difficult thing to live with. It robs of of just about everything you love. I hope you find some answers here like I have, to make this easier to live with for you.

Sandy
  9. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

It's a friendly place
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

Great to have you aboard, ennio! I know it's not great to feel like crap 24/7, but we're glad you found our board/support group!

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here. Please join in with us often, we LOVE men!!!! You'll get plenty of female attention here!! LOL

Seriously, it's nice to have men join -- you guys give us a different perspective on many things. That's what we need--many viewpoints, suggestions, alternatives, etc.

I'm 54, married, have 3 adult children--2 of them are married, and 1 still single. Have 2 grandsons, ages 7 and 9. I worked for 30 years with fms/cfs, arthritis, Lupus, diabetes, heart problems, sleep apnea, back trouble, and much more (see my bio).

When you get a chance, complete your bio in your profile so we can know a little more about you!!

Hope to be "talking" with you a lot!

Take care,
    Janet
  11. andymac

andymac New Member

i live on a small island on the north west coast of scotland,its great here very peacefull and its a great place for the kids to grow up also very safe,but best of all is you get more one to one with the doctor as it is such a small close knit community.

andy
  12. Ridge-Runner

Ridge-Runner New Member

Pretty new here myself,male 45yrs old,CFS recently dx. Really good group of people here,from a wide range of backgrounds.

If you have any questions,feel free to ask away.

keep smilin'
    RR
  13. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

I'm new here also. This is a great board that will validate and encourage you.
  14. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I wanted to say hi and welcome. I understand the need to connect with people. Since men and women are so different we probably have a somewhat different outlook and experience a difference in the way society treats us.

There are lots of nice understanding people here of both sexes.

Venting is good! We all need to at times.
  15. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

Male or female, the pain is the same and it is real. I know how you must feel when people question you and you just look great! We all have faced that and it isn't pleasant.

Welcome and come to us anytime you wish - vent, cry a little (man or female, you cry in frustration), anything. Just come on and write to us. We have been through it all.

Gentle Hugs