Newbie needs advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by labrat59, Mar 29, 2006.

1. labrat59

labrat59 New Member

Let me start by saying I have gained so much knowledge just by reading all the informative posts here and you seem like a great bunch of people.
    I have not been diagnosed yet but my GP is sending me to a neuroligist on April 11. But from what he has said and my research I believe that he suspects fibromyalgia. My question is should I take my husband with me? The reason I ask this is because my former GP was an arrogant ?<.' that thought he knew it all and never took my complaints seriously because I was a nervous silly woman. I'm sorry I am a professional myself in the medical field and I could out work any man I know. Any advice regarding the visit and what I should document or say would be helpful.
  2. jole

jole Member

Hi there! Unfortunate to meet u, but I'll try to answer a few of your questions. Yes, take your husband. It's good that he hear everything first hand. When I saw the neurologist for the first time, she had me fill out lots of papers which pretty much answer all her initial questions. then she asked questions like "how many days a week do you have pain", etc.

I had to do standing and walking tests, balance, eye-hand coordination, etc. Lots of things to rule out other dx's. Then she ordered an MRI of the brain to r/o MS, and would not give me a diagnosis until my second visit.

So you may not get diagnosed the very first visit. It just depends on how your neurologist works. (Mine, unfortunately, thought she was God, and I no longer go to her).

Best of luck _
    Jole
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

A witness is always a good thing. Welcome.

Love Anne C