Newbie needs support this morning

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gtclv, Nov 6, 2002.

1. gtclv

gtclv New Member

Hi all! I've been lurking for a while and really find this board comforting. I havn't been to work all week, my body is in a lot of pain. (I have fb and cfs). I tried to make it this morning and I got 3/4 of the way there,but I turned around because I knew I couldn't make it all day. I work @ a factory. Now I'm having anxiety because 1) I havn't worked all week. 2) no money coming in. 3) My co-workers always look @ me different when I've been off a while. (not my imagination) so you see I'm a mess physically and mentaly. I like to think of myself as a strong person I have had and beaten cancer twice in the last ten years,but these damn dieases are really getting to me. I have tried talking to a professional but I'm the type that feels awkward telling people my troubles. PLEASE if anyne can give me incouragement today I would realy appreciate it!!! THANKS to all fo listening!
  2. gtclv

gtclv New Member

Hi all! I've been lurking for a while and really find this board comforting. I havn't been to work all week, my body is in a lot of pain. (I have fb and cfs). I tried to make it this morning and I got 3/4 of the way there,but I turned around because I knew I couldn't make it all day. I work @ a factory. Now I'm having anxiety because 1) I havn't worked all week. 2) no money coming in. 3) My co-workers always look @ me different when I've been off a while. (not my imagination) so you see I'm a mess physically and mentaly. I like to think of myself as a strong person I have had and beaten cancer twice in the last ten years,but these damn dieases are really getting to me. I have tried talking to a professional but I'm the type that feels awkward telling people my troubles. PLEASE if anyne can give me incouragement today I would realy appreciate it!!! THANKS to all fo listening!
  3. RoseTx

RoseTx New Member

Hon, we have all felt just this same way. I think you will find that in our former lives we were all pretty strong people and you will be pleased to know that this DD is not for the faint of heart or weaklings. Everyone on this board knows you would rather be at work than laying around the house hurting like h***. Yes, we know your peers at work and probably in your family look at you funny and suppose you are just lazy and want attention. You didn't say how long you have been dxed. Over time you will learn what is best for you, whether that be medicines, doctors or supplements and alternative treatments. Each of us who have had this DD for any length of time have worked out our own ways of dealing with the disease and with the people around us. I'm 63 and have had the symptoms since the age of 12 following polio. Try to surround yourself with things that make you feel better. Get a picture of something that makes you giggle just to look at it and put it up today. Take a warm bubble bath. Light candles and close your eyes and think yourself into some place that you loved... whether that be the beach, a walk in the woods or a favorite outing with your loved ones. Be kind to yourself today. Make a copy of the Serenity Prayer and post it up over your computer. Learn this prayer from memory and repeat it over and over until you believe you can do it. You can do this. It may be the hardest thing you have ever done but you can get through this day and the days to come. Research, research, research this DD and start trying to figgure out how you are going to live and have a life within the limits this DD places on you. (((((hugs))))) This is a very soft hug. Hang in. Be kind to yourself today. Hugs, Rose
  4. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Dear GTCLV,
    You have already endured quite a bit. Licking cancer. Now the combo of Fibro and CFS, wow.
    Does your work allow sick time leave? Perhaps your doctor can see you are having a difficult time now and can write a script for a week or two for you to get a little back on your feet. Work cannot punish you for the sick time. Maybe that will help a little. Or you can ask your employer for temporary disability until you feel strong enough to work. I know its hard. I pushed and pushed for years until I could not push this engine anymore. Take care, soft hugs.
  5. nova

nova New Member

I know from experience how hard it can be goin gback to work when " you look fine ". I just tell people about my disease (FM CMPS). I work in the office of a parts warehouse. Before I got sick I could go 90 miles an hour. Now I have 2 speeds slow and reverse. I just began to educate the people around me, not in a preachy manner but when somone would ask a qusetion, I would explain the problem and how it relates to my disease. At first I was met with odd looks but now people come and ask me all kinds of questions and I get so much support from my co-workers. The are always curious why today my fingers wont move and last week I could barely walk. THere are still some who think I am just playacting but the majority really help. You might try explaining it to some of your closer co-workers and go from there. I am overwhelmed by the curiosity about my disease and the support I now get from those around me since I began being very open about what's going on. It was very difficult for me because I am a VERY private person usually. Hope this helps some. I will think of you and keep you on my prayer list.

((((((((HUGS)))))))))
  6. Shelle16

Shelle16 New Member

Hello newbie

I myself also worked in a factory for 6 years. I was one of those people who went 90 miles all the time.Actually my first clue that anything was wrong with me was when I went into work one night and I fealt so bad I could care less if anything was done or if producton was met.After that day I started my journey with test after test it took two years for a diagnsis plus 5 different doctors and alot of bills. when i finally found the right doctor this first thing he said to me was get out of the factory and off of 3rd shifts I now work for a family home health agency. I take my breaks lunches whenever needed. + I've got the chance to meet alot of wonderful people. The pay is not as good but my kids are much happier because I'm not so cranky all of the time. Today is the first day I have missed work in 6 months I was feeling down on myself but after being on here and talking to my doctor I realize I'm doing pretty good.
    I know this was kind of lengthy but talking to others reaaly helps. I just wanted to let you know how much the change in jobs has really helped me.

Good luck with everything you attept to do
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi, so glad you found our board, as you can see you will get all the support you want here, and a lot of people to lift your spirits.

Like Rose said; 'this is not an illness for the faint of heart'!

I have had Fibro for 20 plus years, was also one of those 'speedy' people, no one could do anything for me, I could do it better and faster! Yea, that was the good ole days.

Now I have two speeds, slow and stop. Mostly stop.

You are a strong lady, you have beat cancer twice? Gee, that is so wonderful that you still have so much strength of will, and a stong mind too. Good for you.

You will make inroads with this illness too, just calm down and try to put the stress at rest. Thats one of our biggest enemys, stress.

You take care, and be sure to let us know how you are doing.

Again, welcome to our world.

Shalom, Shirl