Newbie to the board

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by vmiller, May 26, 2008.

1. vmiller

vmiller New Member

Hello all. I am Valarie, a 36 year old mother to three. Trinity is age 6, Aliyah is age 4, and Josiah is age 2.

I was diagnosed with fibro back in November. I took a terrible fall last April while mowing my yard, and I believe this is when it began.

I am seeing a holistic doctor at the time for my symptoms. She ran an ANA titer on me, which came back at 140, which is just the cut-off for being positive.

She told me to totally cut all dairy out of my diet, and I have been doing so for a month. Has anyone else been told this? I can't really tell much of a difference since I've been doing it.

I'm glad I found a board where the participants understand what I'm talking about and how I feel.

Lately, I have been feeling horrible about myself because I just feel like I'm lazy. I keep thinking that if I push myself to get up and do things will get better but they don't. They just seem to get worse. Tuesday, I did alot. I pushed myself as hard as I could possibly push, and in three hours managed to mow my yard. I cleaned the house that afternoon and starting Thursday I have been paying for it ever since.

Thanks for being here.
  2. vmiller

vmiller New Member

Thanks Kina. I appreciate it.
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi Valarie -
    Welcome to the boards! Sorry that you need to be here, but glad you found us!
    You've found out that there is no 'pushing' yourself. That's hard to get used to because most of our lives we're taught to push through things - to keep going, keep trying, forge on. You really can't do that w/Fibro or you'll pay and it's not worth it - you lose precious time.

It's really a balancing act - at least it is for me. AND a changing one at that. It takes as much emotional work as it does physical to work through this Fibro 'stuff'. Taking care of yourself has to be #1. Again, something that we're not used to, especially as a woman, mother, daughter, friend etc. We usually put others first.

Support is essential. Do you have a good support system in place? Of course, these boards are great, but it helps to have people in our 'real' lives, Dr's, family, friends. I hope you have that. I'm a fortunate one in that I have a great support system.
    I can't answer your question about the dairy. Unfortunately for me, change in diet hasn't made much difference in how I feel. But we're all different and what works for one, may not work for another and vice versa.

I hope you'll post questions and also offer your advice and experiences to others as well! We all really learn from each other.
    Again - welcome!

4. vmiller

vmiller New Member

Thank you Janalynn. :) I do have a wonderful and understanding husband who is very, very good to me and for me. My parents are also very supportive, but unfortunately live 7 hours away and can't be a physical support system.

I'm glad to have found the board.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/26/2008]
  5. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

You will find a wealth of info. here. I know how difficult it is to have fm with small children. I have two that are grown now, and a 14 yr. old at home still.

Please come join us on the chit chat board for lighter side of life.

From pets to silly kid stories, to a group of us Porchies.
    All are welcome.

Go to the tab at the top that says message boards, scroll down to chit chat and click.

Hope to see you there.

6. findmind

findmind New Member

Well now, everyone is different, but quitting dairy? That is just ridiculous, in my opinion.

FM is a neurological pain disorder. It has nothing to do with dairy foods.

I got almost complete relief from 6 acupuncture treatments; at $60 each, I think it was the best money I ever spent. I still have CFS/ME, which gives me enough grief, though.

I, too, have read more about magnesium and vitamin D, and that many have been helped by it.

I think you not only owe your doctor a few choice words, demanding appropriate treatment (many here are helped by Lyrica), but maybe you need a Rheumatologist also.

Welcome to the board, and we hope you'll get the best treatment asap, which might stop your fm in its tracks.

7. findmind

findmind New Member

Meant to recommend Dr. Devin Starlanyl's books on FM; the most comprehensive there are.

8. nina_and_me

nina_and_me New Member

Hi Valarie!

Welcome to the board! The members on this board are compassionate, understanding, informative, and for me, it's like a port in the storm.

I'm sorry that you've got fibro. I'm sorry you're in pain. I used to push myself really hard to do stuff, and I pushed until my body screamed for me to stop. Since then, I've learned to stop before my body starts screaming.

I read in your post that you feel lazy - I want you to know that you're not. You have three young children, and taking care of them is a huge job, and I'm sure you love it. I used to do a lot of babysitting, and there is nothing I love more than to be around toddlers and young school age children because they're so curious, fun-loving, and they brighten the world. Reading your post tells me that you are not even close to lazy.

I hope you start feeling better soon. I'm sending good thoughts to you.

9. poets

poets Member

Welcome! You'll really like it here. I'm so sorry you've been diagnosed with Fibro. A lot of us are trying different things to get the help we need. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they don't. Here's hoping you find an answer to your pain. I'm been looking for quite a while, but I'll never give up!

You'll never feel alone here because we understand. :eek:)

Gentle Hugs,
    [This Message was Edited on 05/26/2008]
  10. tonia1990

tonia1990 New Member

Welcome Valarie!
    It's nice to meet you.
  11. vmiller

vmiller New Member

Thank you to all of you who have replied. I,too, am sorry that we have to be here, but if we do, it's nice to have someone who has walked a mile in your shoes.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you.

12. landra

landra New Member

I have CFS so son't know what works on FM - but here are a few resources that have not been mentioned.

there is a shaded box above the messages. "How to explain CFS/FM" will have a lot of good information for you - because you are just learning too. There are also articles you can access at the tabs at the very top.

Somewhere in those you will find the "spoon theory" mentioned. It is a way of discussing that we have LIMITED ENERGY and when it is gone - it is GONE. Hence the need for pacing and balancing. Do not push yourself - you will pay by being flattened for triple or quadruple that amount of time.

If you need specific information - put that topic in the title of your post and lots of people will respond!!

Good news is the younger you are, the more likely you are to recover!
  13. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Yes by all means stop eating dairy !!! And be thankful that you have a doctor who gets it. Well, partially anyways ...

Many people have given up gluten and/or dairy and/or soy and/or eggs, etc and found it has helped. You can find the ones on this board who have done this by doing a search on gluten, dairy, diet or food.

The internet has many stories of people getting over things like MS, autism, CFS, FM, etc by figuring out which foods they can't handle or which ones they needed to add. It takes time for your body to heal so be patient.

Based on my experience and what I've seen on the web, I believe most illness are a result of diets. A healthy diet for one may not be healthy for someone else though. We can't all eat vegan and feel great. And giving up gluten, dairy, etc can't help everyone, but it might help you.

I found I can't handle the chemicals in our foods today either. Especially the antibiotics they are giving our animals.

You may want to add salmon and other healthy fats to your diet. I've found these also help my pain ...

HTH... Marcia

BTW. The idea that foods were causing illnesses is nothing new. We've just gotten away from it ... Probably because the medical profession isn't supporting the idea. They think drugs, not nutritional deficiencies or food intolerances.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/27/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/27/2008]