Newbie who thinks she has FMS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kazzums, Feb 4, 2003.

1. kazzums

kazzums New Member

Hi all.

I was browsing at Barnes and Noble the toher day and picked a book on FMS.
    I am wondering now whether this is the disease for the multitude of symptoms I've been suffering with for quite some time.
    I'm overweight and cliniclaly depressed. I ache all over a large proportion of time. When I wake in the morning, I am extremely stiff and sore. especially in the ankles. I hobble for about 15 minutes or so. I'm constantly jsut feeling blah.

I am extremely lethargic all of the time, despite falling asleep quite easily. I dream most of the night. I'm aware that I am dreaming a long epic of a dream, yet can recall very little the next day. I have a lot of neck and shoulder pain, having ahd two severe muscles spasms in the past 12 months.

I suffer PMS very badly: just ask my husband. I have trouble with urine leakage when coughing vomiting, laughing and often need to go in a hurry. I also have had long term Irritiable Bowel which ws misdiagnosed as Crohn's Disease a few years ago because my B12 level was low.

I'm wanting to go the doctors to ask about FMS but am little scared to approach for fear of sounding like a hypochondriac. I always was too embarrassed to mention some of these symptoms as I thought they were due to excess weight (I'm 260 pounds). I also have been convinced that my depression "makes up" these symptoims and that I am just crazy in the head.

After reading the board for a while, I'm even more convinced I should go see about this. Wish me luck. Karen

2. phenom

phenom New Member

welcome to the board i wish i didn't come to - it would mean i didn't have fibro! but if you do have fibro, then this is the place to be.

i'd definately talk to your doctor about your symptoms and don't leave out anything that you think is unrelated - because FMS is such a funny thing that you never know. mention that you are aware that you sound like a hyperchondriac (most of us do if you don't know us well, don't worry) and that your symptoms are real. good luck with it all, i hope you don't have it.

phenom
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Welcome to the board. You have come to the right place. I'm sure you are seeing people with FMS whose symptoms are the same of yours.

What you need to do is have your doc start testing for other illnesses which can mimic CFS/FMS. Ours is a diagnosis of elimination. If your doc does not know what to do or isn't willing to run the tests, find a doc who can help with this. Going through all this testing can be the worst part of our illnesses early on. Hang in there.

Finally, don't give up hope. If you have CFS and/or FMS, there is a lot that can help you. You have already come here seeking info. Use our library to research and learn all you can about these illnesses. Good luck and let us know what the doc turns up.

Love, Mikie
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Sounds like some of the telltale signs many of us suffer from, but you really need an expert opinion, because your symptoms could be caused by a variety of things. My suggestion would be to find a really good FM doctor, unless you feel confident that your regular primary care doctor is knowledgeable enough to diagnose FM. I don't know where you live, but check the Co-cure "good doctor" list for your state (if you are in US)....we aren't allowed to post URLs here, but do a web check for that list. Another thing you can do---search for a FM or CFS support group in your area (again, use the internet) because they will have members with excellent recommendations for the best doctors in your area. You can check local hospitals (often FM support groups meet there or are sponsored by them) too.

Good luck to you & I hope you don't have FM, but if you do, come to this board often; it's a great resource with caring people.

Hugs,
    Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 02/05/2003]