Newbie with question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meeee74, Dec 8, 2006.

1. meeee74

meeee74 New Member

Hi everyone,

First I want to say that I recently found this page and I think it's great. You all talk about so many aspects of FM/CFS and I seem to not fit in so well on my other messageboard. Right now I'm not experiencing so much the pain as others, but more of the dysautonomia. I was diagnosed with fibro this summer after experiencing bouts of chest pressure and pain. I was recently diagnosed with postural tachycardia and I get palps and extra beats a lot lately (never had them before 3 months ago). I have had joint aches and pains for a long time as well, but they came and went quickly and never hindered my everyday life. I was just reading the symptom list of dysautonomia.

(List I found: Tachycardia, bradycardia, palpitations, chest pain, dangerously low blood pressure, wide swings/sudden drops in blood pressure, excessive fatigue, exercise intolerance, dizziness, fainting/near fainting, gastrointestinal problems, nausea, insomnia, shortness of breath, anxiety, tremulousness, frequent urination, seizures, cognitive impairment, visual blurring or tunneling, and migraines.) And they sound so familiar. I have at least 17 of these symptoms. I do also fit symptom list for fibro too. Anxiety has definitely been a major player as well.

Is it possible that I have dysautonomia and not fibro? Or should I just say I have both? How can you really know for sure what you are dealing with?? I get fatigued easily and I do get muscle aches and pains but not regularly like most FM patients do. And of course tests ALL normal (blood, MRI, heart tests), of course except for the tilt-table test which was positive and holter monitor catching tachy, brady, and extra beats. Also, any idea on which doc is best to ask this of? Neuro or rheumy? I plan to press this issue... Guess my main problem is I have yet to come fully to acceptance phase. Still worried I have something they are missing. Thanks so much and I hope to be around a lot. Like I said, this is a wonderful site for info. HUGS to everyone.

Erica
  2. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Welcome to the board.

Prickles explained it well. Fibro encompases many things.

I too have dysautonomia and that is the term I use when I have to tell others what I have since it has less of a stigma then FM.

I was also confused. My neuro says the dysautonomia is the core issue, causing everything else to go out of wack. So it kind of sounds like FM and Dysautonomia are the same thing!???

My list includes pain in feet, hands, back. Cluster headaches, other headaches, TMJ, MVP, POTS and Orthostatic Hypotention, CFS, and frankly, I can't remember the rest as I also have Fibro fog.

I find this board very helpful. I haven't been able to find much info or support for dysautonomia and since I was diagnosed with FM first I feel at home here. I find the treatment suggestions seem to apply to both conditions.

Blessings,

Sofi
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

That was a very good post. I don't know that much about FM and learned a lot.