newcomer in pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by grandnan3, Nov 6, 2006.

1. grandnan3

grandnan3 New Member

Hi everyone, I've had FM for quite a few years now and finding it very hard to get the right painkillers. My Dr will only give me Panadiene Forte and all they do is make me constipated!!!

I take 150mg Effexor XR daily and the PF. I have tried Neurofen Plus, but I also have stomach problems and they didn't releave the pain anyway. The pain is so bad that most of the time I can hardly walk and I just don't know what to do, apart from changing Drs.

Any ideas on what painkillers work for you would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  2. doglover5

doglover5 New Member

Hi Grandnan3, Change doctors now! If your doctor is not listening to your pain needs then you need to find a doctor that will. You don't say if your doctor is a rhumatologist or not but you may want to start there or maybe try a pain management doctor. I don't know of a medication that will make you pain go away completely but you can certainly have it managed better. Warm baths help and I also use music therepy. I have an IPOD with all my favorites and when I'm in a lot of pain I plug in and it helps reduce my pain. I have a lot of stomach problems too. But don't be afraid to stand up for yourself and change doctors if you aren't getting the treatment you need.
    Good Luck
    Vicki
  3. bluewing

bluewing New Member

We know just how you feel! My fms and cfs have been going on more than a few years. This is the place to come when you need help or need to talk to someone who understands, or just to read the posts. When I can't bear it alone that's what I do.

There is nothing that takes the pain away, but I have been taking Ultram for many years - (the generic now.) And a small dose of Paxil somehow helps you to deal with your problems. Also, I need Ambien to get restful sleep (I always use less than the doctor says.) I don't know if that's a good idea. Lastly, I take Mirapex. It has made the most difference, for I have more energy (more is a little) which is so wonderful. Nsaids ruined my stomach years ago (and that was at "recommended" doses,) so now I usually take one tagamet a day, and I'm very careful to have food or milk with anything that goes into my mouth!
    Of course, there are many things I can't eat.

This is what my list of meds evolved to over very many years. We are a tough bunch of people and we can do what we have to do! Hope this wasn't too long.
  4. discoverygal

discoverygal New Member

Hi all of you strong people! I've been in pain for 4 years and finally have been diagnosed last week by a Rhumatologist. Guess what....he doesn't believe in pain meds!! He told me to just keep moving. AAHH. My general doc has given me tylenol w/codien (nope) and now Darvocet (very addicting I hear), but this is before my diagnosis. So I fear that a long search through ignorant docs (see post below) is ahead of me. Is anyone from NH? I'm glad to find this and many other informative sites.
    Hugs to all
    Danette
  5. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

Welcome to the board!

Kat