NEWEST FM ADVOCATE! Let's all show our support!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by blondieangel, May 25, 2003.

1. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

The following article was copied from the National Fibromyalgia Association site under FM Aware:

Jordan Anne Alfano was crowned “Mrs. Thousand Oaks International 2003” in September 2002. Jordan was chosen by the pageant committee after they reviewed her application and the videotape she submitted demonstrating what she would like to accomplish if she were selected. Jordan will be an official delegate to the 2003 Mrs. California International pageant.

Jordan and her husband, Joel, live in Thousand Oaks in the Conejo Valley of California. Jordan began competing in pageants last year when took home the crown and title of Mrs. Conejo Valley. In March she won the crown and title of her division in the California Beauties of America pageant.

Jordan is looking forward to competing in the Mrs. California International pageant on May 31. Established in 1985, the Mrs. International pageants promote today's married women, their accomplishments, and her commitment to family and marriage. The pageant is for women 21 to 56 years old who have been married for at least six months. Contestants must be residents of their state and citizens of their country. The competition consists of an interview (50%), an evening gown competition (25%), and a physical fitness competition (25%). Each contestant is given the opportunity to select a platform of her choice that will spend the year promoting. The Mrs. International Organization has a strong desire to promote married women in a way that is unique to pageants. The swimsuit competition has been replaced with an aerobics-wear competition that focuses on the overall health of the contestant as opposed to her physical beauty. Husbands play a major role in the pageant program during the evening gown competition. At the end of the competition, the winner's husband will crown his wife the new Mrs. California International 2003. The winner will then be off to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee in August to compete for the title of Mrs. International 2003. Delegates from all 50 states and from countries around the world will compete for the crown.

Jordan has chosen fibromyalgia (FM) as her platform in the Mrs. California International pageant and will represent the National Fibromyalgia Association. Fibromyalgia is something Jordan knows about first hand. She was diagnosed with FM over the Christmas holiday's last year. One of the hallmarks of FM is chronic, sometimes intense pain and there are days where Jordan has trouble just getting out of bed. However, she finds that competing in pageants helps her both mentally and physically. "Competing for me is like I am telling my disorder that I am the one in control not the disorder. By being in pageants, I think that I have more control over my fibromyalgia. It also gives me a voice for all of us who suffer from this disorder – to bring about more awareness of just what exactly fibromyalgia really is – that it is not an imaginary disorder but one that is definitely real and not only effects women but men too. There are times when I am competing and I am in so much pain that I can barely stand, let alone in 3 inch heels; but I remember that out there someone else with fibromyalgia is out there suffering much worse than I am and they still don't have a clue what is wrong with them because of an incomplete diagnosis from their medical doctor – and I remember that I have to stay here and try my hardest to win for them."

Jordan is an active member of her community and is available to make appearances for many functions. Most of her appearances are free of charge. In addition, she can act as an emcee or help with your next fundraiser.

Jordan says, “Thank you so very much to all of my family and friends and most of all my community who has made this all possible for me. If I win on May 31st, this is a win for all of us!”

2. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

Thanks for letting us know, it's good to have people out in the world that can bring some Light on these Syndromes that Rob so many people of Good Health.

The more Avenues we try, the Harder it will be to Iagnore us, (sp?).

Talk to you soon.
    kredca4/sharon
  3. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Thanks for the info. I may drop Jordan a line to thank her for selecting FMS for her platform!

By the way, there's NO WAY I could walk around in 3 inch heels!! Had a good time doing that when I was in my twenties, but alas, never again.....
  4. jolly

jolly New Member

That's too cool that the girl that won is a fibro person! I wish it could have been you, but at least it's somebody that will work for fibro. Did you know this girl? Jo Ellen
  5. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

How does she do it, last time I wore those hwas when I was 16, the pointy-toed, high heels were the "thing." My girlfriend's father brought four of us to Boston for the day and we wanted to be "it." So we all had these heels and we wobbled all day all over Boston. To this day, I can rememer Susan's father smiling, at the time I thought it was because he was having a good time! We were sooo clueless!!!! Good Luck Jordan June
  6. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

I may have to run up there and cheer her on! Pigeon Forge is tourist traffic H#ll, but it might be worth it. ;-)
    Hayley
  7. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

Thanks Jolly! How sweet of you to say!!!=)
    No, I don't know her - I moved from that area of So. Cal. a few years back.

In regard to the heels thing!:0 When I was doing movies, OMG!!! What pain!!! But the thing is, the pain is WORSE for days AFTER the 'event', which is so typical FM!

How can we not love a woman who is willing to get out there for our cause! I hope she has a great husband to rub her feet!;-)

Love,
    Marla
  8. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

And we should alert Jordan to that ignorant statement from the doctor who addressed FM in his letter to the editor of Newsweek.

I hope she wins - she sounds wonderful.

Lane
  9. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hi Marla,
    This is really interesting. It would be so nice if she won. I will keep my fingers crossed mentally of course. How she can stand in those heels is a mystery. Wouldn't it be great to have someone in the spotlight that knows all our pain?
    Thank you for the info Marla.
    Soft Hugs,
    Sandy (Cass)
  10. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

that she is not like a few people I know. Just because their fibro is relatively mild some of them believe we are whining quitters. It's amazing to me, but true. My concern comes because she appears much more active than most of us.
    Let's hope she understands how bad this is for some .

Just for old times sake, I occasionally put a pair of 3 inch heels on with my pj's and sit on the couch. They sure LOOK nice ! LOL
    [This Message was Edited on 05/29/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/29/2003]
  11. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

she could come aboard and join us. How does this title get picked? How can we help. Is there an E-mail addy or anything? We have never heard of this title.

Thank you again for such uplifting news. Kim and Gary