Newly diagnose w. FM in Philly Area - Need Help and Support

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GigiLu, Sep 18, 2005.

1. GigiLu

GigiLu New Member

Hi. I am 24 years old. I have a five month old daughter and a loving husband. Three weeks ago I was diagnosed by my primary care doc w. FM. I wasn't happy w. her dx, so I went to another doc and he said the same thing. I am seeing a rheumy on Tuesday. My psychiatrist gave me percocet, and I have to take 3 or 4 of them to get any kind of releif. He also gave me cymbalta. I've been on the cymbalta for about two weeks now, and I am not noticing anything. All i know is that when i wake up in the morning, i feel like i have been hit by a truck and it is breaking my heart that I can't take care of my daughter as well as I would like to. Luckily, we live with my in-laws and I do have a lot of help. But I need to get this pain to stop. I don't know if I am saying the wrong things to the doctors that they don't realize how much pain I am in. It hurts so bad. Somebody please help me. That's about the point that I am at now, begging for help from total strangers because I don't know what to do or how to help myself. They say that God helps those who help themselves, but I don't know what to do.
  2. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

I wanted to say Hi and welcome to a really Great board with Lots of caring, supportive and understanding people.

When you feel no one truly understands you will find we do!! Lots of good info here!! I am so so sorry for all your going through and all the pain your in. I was finally diagnosed at the age of 24 myself, but had many symptoms years prior.

It sounds like your own the right track though by seeing a rheumy and hopefully he/she will be a good one. Be sure to take along maybe a list of all your medical condtions, symptoms and medication your own and a list of questions you may want to ask....I know doing this helps me alot, because I tend to forget all I wanted to ask once im there. It may take trying different Meds to find what really helps with the pain etc.. I had to try many different ones myself before finding some that at least takes the edge off.

I'm sorry, I cant be of more help here and I seem to be in a real Fog tonight. But I hope your appt will go well and you will get some answers and relief from the pain your in.

I look forward to reading more of your post and please let us know how your appt. with rheumy goes.

Best Wishes
    ((Hugs))
    Bluerose
  3. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

I'm so sorry you're in so much pain. What I really mean is I'm sorry to hear you have FM. It's a hard thing to accept you have it and you can expect to grieve.

You have your beautiful daughter and she will be perfectly happy next to you in bed for a while longer. I have a 4 yo son and this change is difficult for him too.

You might want to ask your doctors about checking your hormone levels. I bet you felt great during your pregnancy, didn't you? I suspect the reason you are in so much agony now is related to the shrinking hormone levels in your system. I think the pregnancy hormones stay in your body as long as you keep nursing.

You have found a lot of kindred spirits here with a wealth of knowledge about FM and related symptoms, as well as CFS and a load of other things. Learn as much as you can about FM, so you will be able to direct your treatment.

I think you are lucky to have found 2 doctors already who actually diagnosed you with FM. Frequently FM patients are told it's all in their head and not given any pain meds at all. Stay on them about treating your pain.

I'll look forward to your posts!

Francie