Newly diagnosed question about pet allergies

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karad, Feb 27, 2007.

1. karad

karad New Member

Hi,.. I was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia by a rheumatologist, after 11 years of on-again, off-again symptoms. I've been in a particularly bad flare-up since last summer, which happens to coincide with when we brought home a puppy. I knew I had allergies to her right from the start, but became so quickly attached to her that I couldn't bear to give her up, deciding to just put up with the allergies. Now that I've been diagnosed with this condition, however, I'm wondering if the allergies could be contributing to the flare-up of Fibro symptoms I've been having. I've been operating only at about 25% of normal since last summer, and frankly, am getting discouraged by my inability to perform normal everyday tasks.

I love my little dog, and it would break my heart to give her up, but if it means regaining my health to whatever extent possible, I will look at finding another loving home for her. Do any of you know if allergies CAN worsen Fibromyalgia symptoms? I'd really appreciate your input.

Thanks...

karad
  2. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

Seeing an allergist? I have never been to one myself but I believe that they can help you with your allergies to your beloved pet if indeed you are allergic to her.

I hope this helps?

I always have a soft spot in my heart for sweet animals and their owners......Iam praying you don't have to find a new home for your beloved baby.

Hugs and positive wishes

Doxy
  3. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I am allergic to dogs and cats. I can't be around them at all. Even if you put them in another room, it will not help.I can't even have them on the porch with me. My daughter has dogs,and we sat on the porch and I thought that wouldn't bother me.But I became very sick.Even after you remove them from the home,you have to clean everything and wash walls, upholstery,all bedclothes etc. You may want to invest in a really good air purifier and change the filters often. I still had to get rid of my bird even though I got an air purifier.It help a little.
    My allergies got progressively worse as time went on.It puts a strain on your already compromised immune system.It is not worth it, to me,to suffer with anymore pain and discomfort.
    I love pets also,I had to get rid of my African Gray Bird,I was sick all the time I had him.
    Hugs Shirley
  4. tngirl

tngirl New Member

You might consider seeing an allergist, they can do tests to see what you are allergic to. There could be several things you are allergic to.

The allergist will tell you how to better control your environment, and may give you allergy medications or nasal sprays to deal with symptoms.

They may also suggest allergy shots. But if you choose to do the allergy shots, I've been told that it could take 3-5 years to complete them and you will not notice any benefit of the shots for about 6 months. There are also some risks associated with the shots and the doctor will explain those to you.

I've been through two allergy tests twice since last April and recently began the shots.

5. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Here's something I came across while doing research for myself:The role of the nervous system in rhinitis www.galenicom.com/medline/article/17088122/fca1:51 Sorry, but I haven't learned how to cut and paste.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/28/2007]