Newly diagnosed, so now what?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DianneGATR, Oct 11, 2002.

1. DianneGATR

DianneGATR New Member

My new doctor, a rheumatologist with a fibromyalgia specialty is treating me for fibro. He has prescribed: exercise, flexiril (1 am and 1 pm), aleve (2 am & 2 pm), and trazadone (for sleep). He says I am lucky to have a mild case. The meds help, but somewhere hurts every day. Right now it has settled in my right heel and ankle. I try to tell everyone I'm ok, but I really am not. My greatest concern is my loss of concentration and short term memory, which the doc says is typical of fibro. I am terrified of ending up as my friend did, with early onset alzheimers.
    What can I realistically expect by having this "mild case"?
  2. DianneGATR

DianneGATR New Member

My new doctor, a rheumatologist with a fibromyalgia specialty is treating me for fibro. He has prescribed: exercise, flexiril (1 am and 1 pm), aleve (2 am & 2 pm), and trazadone (for sleep). He says I am lucky to have a mild case. The meds help, but somewhere hurts every day. Right now it has settled in my right heel and ankle. I try to tell everyone I'm ok, but I really am not. My greatest concern is my loss of concentration and short term memory, which the doc says is typical of fibro. I am terrified of ending up as my friend did, with early onset alzheimers.
    What can I realistically expect by having this "mild case"?
  3. JP

JP New Member

As far as I can tell, we experience this stuff with common symptoms and different degrees. My best friend is my intuition and my interest in good research and scientific/medical journals. Stick around, post, read and gather information. Alzheimer’s is a very different disease, if you read up a bit, it will help you to understand your friends condition and hopefully ease your worry too.

Take care...
    Jan
  4. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

Research all you can and here on the home page and lib the greatsest source of info and research. Keep a daily diary, write down everything you can and can't do. All symtoms no matter how small. Make sure all the rule out tests are done. Like, MS, Lyme, thyroid, Chari Malfromation, and etc. There are so many things that mimic. Don't push yourself, rest when before you start to get tired. Every one is different and treatments that work fopr one may not work for another. Look up the symtoms lists some have thing listed others don't. Don't just pass a new symtom off get it checked. There are remission states and flairs. Heating pads may help, Chrio's, warmwater hydrotheropy, accupuncture and meds and suppliments. There is no cure but, hope and treatments to help. Don't let it get you down. try and keep a possitive attitude. Read as many posts as you can to see how others are effected. Be your own advocate and educate all around you. The top topic here the FMS/CFS paitents guide is free and you can get 99 at one time. I get as many as I can and keep on ordering. Give them out to family . friends, docs, everyone. You need understanding and suppoet. You need to become an expert on what you have. Docs arn't perfect.

This is just touching the surface but, hope it helps.

Again welcome, Kim and Gary

PS we both have FMS and CFS and one child so far Dxed with FMS and MVP( Mitro Valve prolapse) (sp) common in with this condition