Newly diagnosed with Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tut90, Sep 30, 2008.

1. tut90

tut90 Member

Hi, I'm new to this site and recently dianosed with Fibromyalgia, I also have diabetes, hypertension, arthritis and bursitis on both hips. I have been reading the messages on this site and so far they have been very helpful. My family is very understanding but I sometimes think that I'm overwhelming them with all of my symptoms.

My doctor started me on several medications Neurontin, Restoril and Tramadol. I was only able to take Tramadol once and I was so sick that I was in bed most of the day, not being able to pick up my head from the pillow, that's how dizzy I was.

I'm scheduled to have cortisone injections on my hips tomorrow morning and was wondering if anyone has gone through it and what I should expect. Are they painful? Thank you for your help.

2. Lazy_Susan

Lazy_Susan New Member

You're lucky. If you were just diagnosed and got treatment, that's more than I got. I had to fight the doc for anything at all. I'm sorry it seems to be making you sick. Maybe it just takes a period adjustment? Someone else with more experience will be able to help, I'm sure.

I started getting cortisone shots some years ago until I switched docs--to an ortho surgeon--and she advised me to stop the injections. She said one probably won't harm you but they make your bones porous after two or three. I stopped.

Upon injection and for the first 24 to 48 hours, I had extra pain in the site but after, it seemed to help--for a short time. It's a pretty skinny needle so that helps a little.

Good luck to you. I hope you find relief and answers quickly.
  3. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

My name is Jenn, I have fibro, arthritis in my lower back, right knee, rt shoulder, carpo tunnelin rt wrist and bursitis in rt hip. Jeez I see a pattern here. Anyways, I have had several cortisone shots over the last few years. The ones I had in my shoulder ( 3 in total) hurt so bad I swore I would never do them again. Then I had one rt buttock ( No chg) rt hip ( somewhat better) rt elbow ( actually helped for a little while).

They can not give you more then 3 in the same location per year. Cortisone being a steroid is not good for your bones and skin. Well, hope this helps and again, welcome. Jenn