Newly diagnosed with FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Wreckless, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Wreckless

Wreckless New Member

About a month ago I was diagnosed with FM, however, I have had the symptoms of FM for well over 10 years. I built up a tolerance to aceteminiphen, and got some relief from Ibuprophen, but after getting to where I was taking about 250 (200 mg) tablets a month, I finally fell into a serious depression. Lost my job as a General Forman as result of my inability to manage a project, that normally I would have handled easily. I took another job as an electrician forman, but having to do phyical labor made my pain so bad, and caused such fatigue that all I could do was go to work, and come home and lay down on the couch until bedtime. Not that sleep is any great relief. I have only slept 3 1/2 to 4 hours a night for at least the last ten years, and wake up at least hourly. It never feels like I am asleep. I have applied for disability in the state where i live, my doctor has filled out the paperwork saying I will never return to work. However, after reading here, it sounds unlikely I will disability. I can not return to the physicalness of being an electrician, which i have done to 20 years, and am not trained to do anything else. Even driving is a problem, because the seatbelt causes my shoulder and chest to hurt, making it hard to keep my hands on the steering wheel, not to mention the real fear of falling asleep at the wheel, which i have done several times, but woke up in time not to crash. Sorry this is so long, but I really just don't know how I am going to provide for my family.
  2. Wreckless

Wreckless New Member

About a month ago I was diagnosed with FM, however, I have had the symptoms of FM for well over 10 years. I built up a tolerance to aceteminiphen, and got some relief from Ibuprophen, but after getting to where I was taking about 250 (200 mg) tablets a month, I finally fell into a serious depression. Lost my job as a General Forman as result of my inability to manage a project, that normally I would have handled easily. I took another job as an electrician forman, but having to do phyical labor made my pain so bad, and caused such fatigue that all I could do was go to work, and come home and lay down on the couch until bedtime. Not that sleep is any great relief. I have only slept 3 1/2 to 4 hours a night for at least the last ten years, and wake up at least hourly. It never feels like I am asleep. I have applied for disability in the state where i live, my doctor has filled out the paperwork saying I will never return to work. However, after reading here, it sounds unlikely I will disability. I can not return to the physicalness of being an electrician, which i have done to 20 years, and am not trained to do anything else. Even driving is a problem, because the seatbelt causes my shoulder and chest to hurt, making it hard to keep my hands on the steering wheel, not to mention the real fear of falling asleep at the wheel, which i have done several times, but woke up in time not to crash. Sorry this is so long, but I really just don't know how I am going to provide for my family.
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Don't be so frightened about the disability. MANY HAVE received it...it just takes some time. Do you have short-term disability or long-term disability from where you worked?? That's what I'm using and then I'll apply for SSD. I have only been outta work about three weeks and I am so happy to be feeling a little better that I just refuse to be too down about the $$$ even though there will be no Christmas presents bought this year:(
    I am living on faith right now because I KNOW I cannot work anymore. I am a nurse and my job was both physically and emotionally draining and I am just too old to be living in such pain and fatigue. I have other issues besides the FMS/CFIDS, but they are the things that prevent me from having a life.....Do you have FMS and CFIDS?? I'm really not even sure there IS a difference~~my Rheumy thinks they are a complex.
    Read and ask questions. I am sure there are many of the guys that can help advise you and .....you know us gals, we're always ready to give our opinions!!!! There are many ways the disabled can support their families....we just have to prove we ARE disabled. Therein lies the problem:(
    Take care. Glad to meet you!!!
    Kady
    [This Message was Edited on 12/04/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/04/2002]
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

If you'll read all of our bios, you can learn more about each of us. Just click on our names on the left of our reply....
    Kady
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm so sorry you are living through pain, fatigue & lack of restful sleep, ---then on top of that, have tha added worry & stress of providing for your family. Please don't give up regarding disability! As Kady said, many, many here have struggled for it & won, though most not in the first round. Use this board all you can to gather as much good info about this process---I haven't gone through it, but dozens here have & will have excellent advice for you.

It seems like at least once a week, someone here posts "MY SSDI FINALLY CAME THROUGH!!" or something like that & we all get to cheer!! There ARE success stories, so stay strong, get information & don't give up!! We are here for you!

Good Luck Hugs,
    Pam
  6. Wreckless

Wreckless New Member

I would like to thank all of you for your support, it is helpful. It is so nice to have someone understand how it feels.
    Thanks
    Rudy