newly diagnosed with fms

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dkshavce, Feb 11, 2007.

1. dkshavce

dkshavce New Member

well this has been one of my worst health years ever

35yo male

just came off of a upper respritory infection and now the doctor believes I may have Fibromyalgia

I have pain in my muscles and joints...with numbness around my upper chest and neck area....sometimes it almost feels as though i am having a heart attack with the chest pains.

i get headaches very often

does anyone else experience these sypmtoms?? are they common with this type of illness??

i work midnights and sleep is very rare for me

i average about 4-5 hours a day when i work

2. dkshavce

dkshavce New Member

thanks for the reply

ive allready have my wife telling me im a hypochondriact and that im nuts about complaining all the time

im more or less glad that after all the tests ive had that the doctor can call it something rather than nothing.

even if it is a "blanket" term and diagnosis

but do people get numbness around the chest and neck with this?? is that common??

3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Sorry you have to suffer.Yes I get the chest tightness.

It is always best to have your doctor check it out to make sure its nothing else.

You will enjoy this board its full of GREAT information and friends that will help you through the bad times.

Sue
  4. roge

roge Member

heh, im a 36 yr old male.

a wife telling her husband he is a hypochondriac, funny as usually the other way around - all the females on this board are nodding their heads.

You are not a hypochondriac.

I personally dont have much of the chest/neck stuff, but many other symptoms. There are a WIDE range of symptoms with FM. You say your doctor did tests, well make sure you get detailed ones to rule other things out (ie. lupus or other inflamaory diseases) as prickles said, it might be something else. This in no way means FM is not real, just there are many other causes to the symptoms of FM. i would suggest if you have not already sone so, do some research on the interenet or even some searches on this board.

also, I would look into possible CFS as well and a possible infectious cause as you did have an infection as well as joint pains.

my advice, get more sleep, you dont want to mess around with this especially with FM.

peace
  5. mujuer

mujuer New Member

Yes, I have pain around my rib cage also and that just started about two months ago. I have had fibro for two years and now I have that as an added problem. It just gets very sore and tender.
  6. dkshavce

dkshavce New Member

done a full bloodwork up

also tested for some off the wall stuff....malaria as i was a desert storm veteran

nothing we have run would have given him thoughts of a disease as all came back negative

i guess mainly headaches...chest and rib pain (like heartattacks are most common...some groin pain..and joint pain....also i get stomach cramps

i do tend to feel better after long warm showers and sleeping 8+ hours (when i do get it)

was for months on Rozerem as i had a few months ago went a week plus with very little or no sleep. had very high liver levels and was tested well above normal back then but most two recent labworks came back normal as i have been psych med free for a few months

and to be honest i really do and dont mind being diagnosed with possibly having this as seeing that it is not completely life threatening or contagious to others makes me feel better.

doctor yelled at me when i told him my level of sleep and amount of water i drink ( less than a glass a day)
  7. PBandJ

PBandJ New Member

Thanks prickles
    I am new here too. the information was appreciated
    PB
  8. bewell4

bewell4 New Member

this may be obvious, i am sure you've heard it before, but just in case you haven't ...you must make sleep a priority! please sleep! this may*** immediately reverse your symptoms. if you are inclined, read "the promise of sleep" by ...um, brain fog, i can't remember. i have read that even healthy people, if you deprive them of sleep, they start feeling aches, pains, headaches, ect. i hope it is this simple for you, and that you will be feeling great in no time!
  9. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

dkshave:

Welcome aboard! I hope you get everything from this site as I have.

You really will learn very much here. You might be able to find some supplements in the site above.

Rest, rest, rest.

nyrofan

10. pearls

pearls New Member

Yes, I have fibromayalgia and CFS and crushing, debilitating chest pain was my main symptom. Mine also started with an upper respiratory infection. I still consider chest pain to be a big problem when it occurs, though I'm much better now so when it does occur, it is much less intense. My chest was never numb, but I have had big problems with numbness in my hands, legs and feet from time to time. There are many things in common between all of us, but our exact experiences do differ.

I hope you have been checked out by a cardiologist. EKGs are very rudimentary. There are more definitive tests. Also, chest pain can be caused by pulmonary problems or gastro-intestinal problems. These all should have been eliminated.

You must try to get more sleep, and you must work with your doctor on the quality of your sleep. If you never get past the dream stage into delta sleep, which is the restorative kind, your symptoms won't improve much. If you wake up in the middle of your sleeping time, that's another thing that keeps delta sleep from happening.

If there is any way to get off of midnight work, that should be of great help to you. Your sleep is disregulated, and light has a lot to do with that. You need to have sunshine during the day (preferably mornings) and a regular bedtime and rising time. That's the idea, by the way, with melatonin, which your body makes and which you can buy over the counter. Melatonin is not a sleeping pill, but it helps your body regulate your sleep in tune with when it is designed to be asleep. Your midnight work is a perpetuating factor in your sleep disregulation.

Finally, drink water or herbal teas! Your body also needs water to repair itself.

I, too, was relieved when I finally had a diagnosis. It validated my aches, pains and general agony. Also, it meant I wasn't going to die any time soon.

Best wishes,
    Pearl S.

11. momof471

momof471 New Member

My most irritating symptom, radiates into shoulders and back, makes it hard to sleep and to do anything requiring repetitive movements and especially lifting. mine stemed off an injury to the sternum became this and then went elsewhere. You are not a Hypochondriac! You are not crazy. Find a good doctor to help you and to rule out other things and work on the sleep, very important!

God Bless and remember you arent alone in this.
  12. dkshavce

dkshavce New Member

lets see now...i was in desert storm and my distaste of water was in relation to drinking 2-3 gallons a day and i just got to hate it

but now i have been trying to drink up to 64oz a day (the min) and it helps - when i do

and i have been noticing that the more i sleep the better i feel

doctor had months ago prescribed me Rozerem when i had gone like 7-9 days with only 6hours sleep and it worked wonders but i had stopped when he was worried that one of my meds was possibly causing me chemical hepatitis

now that my blood work up shows normal i think ill start back on the Rozerem again as it was a wonderful sleep medicine with hardly and after effects or dependancy as other ones have

am also currently on Tylenol #3 which works the best for me as Naproxen didnt do much and Motrin was giving me diaheria and other problems

anyone have any other pain killers to try that work??