Newly diagnosed with Psoriatic arthritis

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by Tracki, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Tracki

Tracki New Member

Hi there, I'm 36 and live in the UK. Have just been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis (having had psoriasis for 29 years). I am to see my consultant in two weeks with a view to going on Methrotrexate. Not too happy about going on it with the side effects. Have heard it makes you quite nauseas, gives mouth sores, makes you really tired and can affect your liver/kidneys?!

Also the only joint affected is my wrist (started 6 months ago) but it is not really painful - have had to take ibuferon on the odd occasion, that is all.

Is there anyone on Methotrexate with psoriatic arthritis? Does it start off mild?

Has any one any info? Been on other message boards and so far have not had any feed back - please reply!!
  2. maddy2

maddy2 New Member

Hi, Tracki

Your condition seems too mild to take such a powerful drug. I have RA with a pretty bad flareup. I also have Psorisis contained to one side of my leg. I recently came upon a new drug for Psorisis. The drug is similar to the immunosuppressent drugs such as Methotrextate except the side effects are far fewer and targets specific cells so your whole immune system is not affected. I'm trying to get more info and have a date with a dermatolist in July. Why don't you ask your dermotologist about the drug "Alefacept" or I think amevive. Read about it on PsoriasisNet.org. I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone. Let me know what you discover
    Mcmaura7@hotmail.com
  3. maddy2

maddy2 New Member

Hi, Tracki

Your condition seems too mild to take such a powerful drug. I have RA with a pretty bad flareup. I also have Psorisis contained to one side of my leg. I recently came upon a new drug for Psorisis. The drug is similar to the immunosuppressent drugs such as Methotrextate except the side effects are far fewer and targets specific cells so your whole immune system is not affected. I'm trying to get more info and have a date with a dermatolist in July. Why don't you ask your dermotologist about the drug "Alefacept" or I think amevive. Read about it on PsoriasisNet.org. I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone. Let me know what you discover
    Mcmaura7@hotmail.com