Newly Diagnosed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mary100, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Mary100

Mary100 New Member

Hello everyone,

I was sort of diagnosed with fms yesterday. The dr said he is wondering if i have it and put me on amatryptlin ? and said i would probably be tired and fatigued for the rest of my life.

I have wondered for several months if I have had this. Oh well, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Mary
  2. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

here take this and expect to be tired for the rest of your life. Thanks doc, and I have to pay you for this?

Better get a doc that is better than this and keep on searching for yourself. You have come to the right place, my dear.

Sonya
  3. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

is actually an anti-depressant and is often used to help people fall asleep. I think I'd find another doctor!
  4. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

is generic elavil and is sometimes the first script for FM. It is supposed to help with pain and sleep at a low dose. I am on 25mg which would not do anything for depression, but it is for sleep and pain. It does help me sleep, but I have to suppliment it with other things now.

Sonya
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Glad to have you join us, and am sorry you have been sort of diagnosed with FM. Hopefully its something else?

I would go for a second opinion.

Again, welcome to the board, and hope you are feeling better soon.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. Mary100

Mary100 New Member

thanks for the comments
  7. Esperanza25

Esperanza25 New Member

I'm also fairly new...I was diagnosed about a month ago. My doctor prescribed amatryptlin about a year and one half ago and she told me it was for sleep. So, I only take them at night. However, in reading about FMS - amtryptlin or the generic elavil, which is what I'm taking, is actually used for FMS patient.

One recommendation is two do stretching exercise, it helps me a little or yoga. Good luck and look forward to continue to write to you.

Esperanza
  8. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

being generic for Elavil helps me greatly. i take it at night right before bed to go into non REM sleep which I do not go into naturally. I wake with less pain, stiffness and fatigue.
    I learned to take it right before bed instead of 2 hour before as my doc recomended. The worst side effect is weight gain. The carb and sugar cravings get really bad on Elavil.
    If your regular doc is not sure of your dx go to a Rhumatologist. Mostly { but not always} they have more amassed knowledge of FMS.
    Good luck,
    A
  9. chazzsmom99

chazzsmom99 New Member

I took generic Elavil yrs. ago for depression. What it did to me was make my heart race alot. It was scary.

your dr. sounds, well, interesting...is he/she easily trained, and willing to listen and learn? If so, it might be wise to keep him while you interview other docs. yes, you can go do this!! first, ask friends, family, trusted individuals about their doctors. Then make an appt., after, of course, asking if they take your insurance. Go talk to them, express your concerns, and if they believe if there really is Fibro. It takes time, but if you can afford it, it's worth it. In case you're wondering, I have state medicaid, and my choices can be quite limited--but like some other poster said to me you wouldn't take your car to someone you don't trust, so why take your body to someone you don't trust (I paraphrased that last little bit cuz I couldn't remember it word for word!)?

Keep your chin up!

Peggi
  10. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I don't like it when a doctor says you will be "tired and fatigued the rest of your life". That is not a great thing to tell you, even if he believes that. I think there are alot of things we can do to get better. It is important to have a positive attitude and believe you can work to get better.

When we first find out we have this, or get a diagnosis, it is a wake-up call to start making all possible changes to get better. We just take one day at a time.

I am someone who was bedridden and housebound for 10 years and I am much better now.

My improvements have all happened in the last two years.