newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tripletmom, Mar 27, 2003.

1. tripletmom

tripletmom New Member

i am 27yrs. old and was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia. i'm a little scared i have a son who will be turning five soon and 14month old triplets i am hoping with all the different info i keep getting that someone can help me figure out what supplements and vitamins to take, so far all i'm taking is bextra. it doesn't eliminate my pain but it helps. some days i can't even hold the spoon for my babies. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/27/2003]
  2. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

Do you have help with your children???

Oh, my goodness. This will bump your post up to the top and maybe someone else will respond. I am 62 years old but there must be someone a lot younger who can offer advice - if there could possibly be any with all those little ones needing you so much.

You did not say exactly what your symptoms are - could you do that?

Love and best wishes
    Pam
  3. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

Hi mommy! What a bummer about the fm but what a treasure in your children! I, too, am newly diagnosed (and scared) - 5 weeks ago. I have been doing physical therapy 3x/wk. for a month. Saw doc. today, had 2 injections & am doing another 10 therapy visits. I realize with babies this would be difficult for you, but if you have someone to watch them,it's worth the effort. My PT really works on strengthening my legs for lifting instead of using my back - also working on arm strength & back strength. All will be helpful. Plus they set me up with a home program that only takes a few minutes a day to keep that strength. I also am taking a supplement called SeaSilver. It has all kinds of vitamins, minerals, amino acids & enzymes. Many help with maintaining healthy muscles & tissues (important for us), healthy immune system, & help with concentration. I've been on it for 2 weeks & I have more energy than I've had for the last 6 months. Now, if I can just get rid of the pain I'd be all set!! Talk to your dr. about pain medications. I've already been on several different kinds trying to find the right one for me. One thing my dr. suggests for healthy immune system is Colostrum. For pain I have taken Darvocet(no help) & Vicodin(causes me nausea), then tried Ultracet, worked first 2 weeks then didn't do much. Today he put me on Skelaxin. Will see how that does.
    Well, I sure do wish you the best & hope some of my long-winded response will be useful. This is what happens when I can't sleep (even after taking my sleep aid) - I surf the net. Good luck to you........Kathi
  4. tripletmom

tripletmom New Member

thanks for your reply.
    iam currently trying to get a scholarship for then ymca to do a regimen of pt there because i can't afford the copays and don't always have a sitter, also looking to put together a supplement plan along with the bextra i take for pain. i can't take things that make me drowsy because i'm always going with the kids.if i can just get control i may have some better days. good luck with all your efforts i wish you many pain free days!
  5. tripletmom

tripletmom New Member

thanks for your reply.
    my mother lives with me and my husband. she has alot of outside interests recently so she will only baby sit for necesary appts. i get very lonely and depressed. everyday is so very painful, but i keep on going to hide my pain from my children. but with the support of this website and my drs i hope to get control soon and outnumber my bad days with good. please keep in touch, your age doesn't matter to me, a friend is a friend.
  6. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

Speak up whenever you need to. We are all here from time to time and want to help you as much as we can.

The hand you've been dealt is a difficult one but I believe you can do it bit by bit. You already are formulating a plan and I sure do think you can succeed. You can't always depend on those close by but try not to hold it against them. No one can imagine how you feel other than your fellow board members.

Keep sharing and we'll keep caring.

Love
    Pam
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi young lady, I was just amazed at the triplets and a five year old too! How wonderful, but oh, that sure must be a handful expecially with Fibro! I sure hope you have some serious help. I am the suppement taker, found more help with pain and sleep, plus all the other nasty things that come along with Fibro from Supplements and herbs than from the meds. I just cut and pasted what I take for you. I do so hope that it helps you as much as it did me.

Again welcome to the board, and yes we do have many young mothers here also that will be welcoming you. But be patient, the weekends on slow on the board. So if necessary we will have to keep your post up at the top of the page.

Below is what I take, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask any of us.

Shalom, Shirl

-----------------------------------------------------------

I am mainly on supplements, herbs, vitamins, etc. The only med I take is Xanax, low dose (0.25 milligrams) at 6pm for racing brain syndrome. It can also be taken with OTC's Advil gel caps, the Xanax enhances the effect of the Advil, and it is a great pain reliever. BUT do keep in mind that Xanax can be very addictive if used consistantly.

Xanax is an anti anxiety drug, a rather old one. It is addictive, but I only use it once a day, or if I feel an attack coming on.

I have listed below what I take, hope it is helpful. If you have a question, please feel free to ask me, be glad to help.

Shalom, Shirl

Product; Ultra B-Complex (High Potency with Folic Acid)
    (1 capsule after or during lunch) This helps with brain fog, and energy too.

Product; 800IU's of Natural Vitamin E
    (For numbness, heart, blood etc)

Product; Ester C 500 milligrams
    (antioxidant, helps prevent colds, virus etc.)

Product; ZMA (zinc, magnesium, Vitamin B-6)
    For sleep, deep sleep also helps with muscle pains.
    (2 capsules at 10pm )

Product; Jarro-Dophilus (Probotics)
    3 a day for IBS, replaces good bacteria

Product; Melatonin (5milligrams)
    To help fall asleep, take right before bedtime.

All the above can be bought from Pro Health, be sure to ask for a free catalog/Newsletter too. If you want to call the number is; 1-800-366-6056 or you can order on-line. Just go to the 'Store' link on the top right of this page for additional information on supplements.

Product; Essiac Herbal Tea by Resperin Corp.
    This is a blood/liver cleanser. It is also known as a cancer cure/preventive.
    I take two ounces in the morning two ounces at night.
    Can be bought at most health food stores and Supplement catalogs.

Product; Polynesian Pure Noni Juice
    (I take one teaspoon before breakfast, one before lunch for my IBS, it is a great product). I order it by the case!
    Can be bought in most health food stores, be sure you get the 'pure' juice or it won't work.

Product; Natural Calm put out by 'Natural Vitality'
    This is a powdered Magnesium Citrate.
    (I take a teaspoon a day for pain, especially spasms . But don't take too much it will give you diarrhea).

This is about it for the time being, as for a multi vitamin, I have trouble digesting them, so I drink two cans of Ensure a day for the multi.

Also, I drink half my body weight in ounces of water per day, along with a quarter teaspoon of Sea Salt. This has helped with severe sinus headaches, and it seems to have helped the Fibro Fog too.

Here is some good advice; I strongly recommend you add ONE thing at a time for at least a week or two, this way if you have a problem with a product/supplement, you know what is causing it. If you try to take too much at once then if you have a problem, you would have to quit everything and start over again.
    I learned this the hard way, so though I would pass on this wise advice!

It took me years to get the right things that I could take. Wasted a lot of money on eyerything from doctors, prescription meds, and vitamins and herbs too.

Just remember, we are all different, so some of what I take might not be the right thing for you. It really is trial and error with these illnesses.

Hope this helps, and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I am usually here everyday, but not at a special time.

PS, always buy the best supplements you can afford, as you really get what you pay for with supplements. Pro Health has some of the best ones I have ever taken, and I am not just promoting them, its the truth. I have taken there products before I ever heard of this board.

8. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

Buy the book, What your doctor might not tell you about Fibromyalgia, by Paul St. Amand and Claudia Marek, visit website at www.Guaidoc.com (I think it is .com). Many guai users here, has given us our lives back. Mikie, the other moderator, was on morphine and got OFF MORPHINE because guaifenesin reversed the effects of fibro.
    Use whatever you can, med and supplement wise, that works for you. It is different for everybody. But I urge you to look into this book, and ask other guai users on this site. I got my life back.
    Best of luck and lots of love,
    Tibbiecow

[ advertisement ]