Newly Diagnosed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by scobby14, May 6, 2003.

1. scobby14

scobby14 New Member

In March i was diagnosed with FMS and Epstein-Barr virus. Does anyone else have these 2 together also? In March i missed 1 week of work and now i haven't worked in almost 2 weeks. I am a phelbotomist in a hospital which requires a lot of walking and standing on your feet. As of now my legs are so weak,cramping, and i am having a lot of muscule spasms in my legs,back, and neck area. i was put on a muscle relaxer which works ok (Carisoprodol) also Darvocet for pain which does not work. My doctor increased my Zolot to 150mg and also perscribed Amytriplyne 25mgs but has now increased to 50mg. I also take Trazodone 100mgs at bed time. I guess my question is how do you overcome these symtoms and get on with your life. Right now i even feel to weak to go to store. Also is there any special diet that you should follow or are there any vitamins that help you overcome this weakness. I called my dr. today and she suggested deep body massages or phyical therepy. Which sounds great but at this time i have no medical ins. The hospital i work at i am on pool status waiting for a part time posistion to open but with missing all these days from work i don't know if i will get the posistion. Applying for disability with this condition sounds like a joke i see that so many people get denied and to totaly stop work and have no income wold be a disaster for me as i have a mortgage to pay and the usual household bills. My mother lives with me as i am her caretaker she has colon cancer and a bad back she can barely get around. This is a tuff situation which i know i will survive but this weakness is really getting me down. Any ray of light anyone can give me i thank you. Forgive any misspelled words as my brain forgets things. Gina
  2. skychomper

skychomper Member

Im sorry your going through such a tough time. I had Epstein Barr Virus and then my cfs followed a year later. so my situation is a litttle different. I am lucky enough to be supported by my parents right now (Im 23) I know you have alot of responsibilities. My only suggestion would be to have a friend or family member help you out with some day to day things. maybe they can pick up some groceries for you, run to the pharmacy. etc. Its tough to ask, but most people are willing to help. also, is there any way you can take on part time hours for a short period to help your body deal with the EBV? as for vitamins/supplement my personal recomendation would be Vitamin C and olive leaf extract- that has helped me with my weakness. sorry I can't help you out more with the fibro. welcome to the board!

cheers,
    skychomper
  3. moonflowercat

moonflowercat New Member

Wish I had some words of wisdom, but all I have to offer is compassion and friendship. You are in a bad position, that is no doubt. I'm sure that somebody here more experienced than me can offer advice. Your symptoms sound a lot like mine, and I just don't know how you manage to go to work. I'm fortunate that I don't have to, how thankful I am for my husband. I know how bad your pain is, the back spasms can make me sometimes collapse on the couch before I can get the dishes done. I'm going to try Magnesium like Shirl (one of the Moderators here) is on, she and lots of others say that it helps...of course, I have to get to the store first. I'm on different RX's than yours, I'm on Flexeril and Klonopin at night, and Xanax as needed during the day.

Wish I could help more, Brenda :eek:)
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Gina, glad you found us, but am so sorry you are this ill.

Like Brenda said, I take Pro Energy, (Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate) for energy and pain.
    Also take ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6), the latter helps with deep sleep and also for the pain of Fibro.

The ZMA has turned my world around. I am now sleeping deeply, and my pain is at least 80% better than it was a year ago when I started the ZMA.

Both these products can be bought here at Pro Health, they are of the finest quality, and the prices are the most reasonable that I could find. Just go to the 'Store' link at the top of this page, and type in both products, there is a lot of information about them there too. You can also order a free catalog, and a free newsletter on FM/CFS.

I also sleep on a 'wireless mattress heating pad', which is simply wonderful for the pain and morning stiffness. They are sold at Penny's, Sear's, and Wal-Mart, can also be bought on the net. Heat helps FM pain greatly.

I don't have Epestitin-Barr, but have had FM for over twenty years now. This is the most relief I have gotten in all those years for this pain. I am not cured, but I am so very much better.

As for diet, the best thing to do is to stay away from all white flour products, sodas, additives, msg, caffeine, sugar,to just to name a few.
    Also, be sure you are drinking water, it is so important for us. You need to drink half your body weight in ounces of water per day. It helps with the fog, and a million other things!

You sure have a lot on your plate, and I do hope you get some help soon.

You have my admiration for taking care of your Mom, there are not many who do these days. You are a good daughter!

I don't know much about SSD, but a lot of our members are getting theirs, if you make a post and asked about it, they will be glad to share with you.

Again, welcome to the board, and blessings and prayers going your way from me.................

Shalom, Shirl

5. sunnysideliving

sunnysideliving New Member

Hello Gina,

Do you still have active EBV infection? You must get that treated.
    I also got massage and physical therapy. It helped me a lot in my neck and also a quick relief for my headache (Though, it only helps for a short time.)
    Resting is important, as stressless life with this DD.

I hope you will feel better soon!
    Cheers,
    Ban
  6. scobby14

scobby14 New Member

It is so nice to have people who understand what i am going through. It's like almost everyone i know haven't a clue as to what i have and even when i was first diagnosed i didn't have a clue either. I am going to try the vitamins that have been suggested and the drinking of water i have to start. I hardly drink anything eat terrible because i just don't want anything but i am going to change all that. I do hope you all can get this as i am not sure how to reply to everyone. Today i had a good day. I made myself get up do a little shopping and some wash. I was tired my legs felt so weak but i made it through.I have had some spasms in my legs and back but right now they are mild. I am going to try and do a little each day as Monday i want to return to work. As far as my EBV i am on antibiotics at this time perhaps when i am finished i will get blood work again for it. Again thanks everyone for being so kind. Gina