news about Ultracet

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by susabar, Dec 6, 2002.

1. susabar

susabar New Member

Hi,
    My rheumotologist prescribed Ultracet starting out gradually and now 4x daily. I thought I understood it was a non-narcotic pain reliever. Now today my husband fell, ( we had snow and ice in PA) and the ER doc gave him a prescription for Ultracet. When I picked up his RX the printout that came from the pharmacist said that it was, " habit forming". I looked on the internet about this drug and didn't see anything. I have a doctor appointment this monday, I could ask then.
    For those of you who had Ultracet questions.
    Thanks Sue
  2. susabar

susabar New Member

Hi,
    My rheumotologist prescribed Ultracet starting out gradually and now 4x daily. I thought I understood it was a non-narcotic pain reliever. Now today my husband fell, ( we had snow and ice in PA) and the ER doc gave him a prescription for Ultracet. When I picked up his RX the printout that came from the pharmacist said that it was, " habit forming". I looked on the internet about this drug and didn't see anything. I have a doctor appointment this monday, I could ask then.
    For those of you who had Ultracet questions.
    Thanks Sue
  3. kardog

kardog New Member

I haveFMS and have bursitis in both hips. My new doctor gave me Ultracet and said it was on of the safest pain meds ..Apparently, they don't want you to take it everyday. I try to take it only on the bad days. I'm on so many different meds now and I'm trying to cut back. But after setting up the Christmas tree tonight, I ran straight to the cupboard and popped an Ultracet!
    Good luck with it, it did make me tired at first, but only for a couple of times (and I'm really sensitive to meds).

Think positive, I'm trying too! Kardog
  4. catgal

catgal New Member

My physician gave me Ultram, told me it was non-narcotic, and non-addictive. I took 4 a day for a year. When I tried to get it off of it, I went through pure hell. I began to research how it worked as the actual pill itself does not have a narcotic in it.

The mechanism for which it works is to milk on own natural endorphin center or natural opiate in the mind. What made it so difficult to get off of was that I was addicted to my own body! It took me 6 weeks with the help of my physician titrating off of it with lesser & lesser potent "narcotic" drugs.

Some people on this Board have said they had no problem with Ultram/Ultracet, but I certainly did, and I never abused it.

I am a psychotherapist in a hospital, and when Ultram came out, the docs took all their patients off of regular narcotics and put them on Ultram. It cost the hospital a tremendous amount of money to detox these people off of Ultram so they stopped carrying it in the pharmacy, and the docs went back to prescribing regular narcotics for their patients because it was easier to get them off of it.

If you want more information about people who have used Ultram on this Board, go up to the Search slot and type in Ultram, and it will give you a list of all the posts written about Ultram/Ultracet. Best Wishes, Carol...