News Alert: GlaxoSmithKline Agrees to Pay $750 Million in Settlement

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by quanked, Oct 26, 2010.

1. quanked

quanked Member

FYI
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/27/business/27drug.html?_r=1&hp

GlaxoSmithKline Agrees to Pay $750 Million to Settle Manufacturing Complaints

GlaxoSmithKline, the British drug giant, has agreed to pay
    $750 million to settle criminal and civil complaints that the
    company for years knowingly sold contaminated baby ointment
    and an ineffective antidepressant -- the latest in growing
    number of whistle-blower lawsuits that drug makers have
    settled with multimillion dollar fines.

Altogether, GlaxoSmithKline sold 20 drugs with questionable
    safety that were made at a huge plant in Puerto Rico that for
    years was rife with contamination. Cheryl Eckard, the
    company's quality manager, asserts in her whistle-blower suit
    that she warned Glaxo of the problems but the company fired
    her instead of addressing the issues. Among the drugs
    affected were Avandia, Bactroban, Coreg, Paxil and Tagamet.
    No patients are known to have been sickened by the quality
    problems although such cases would be difficult to trace.
  2. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

This makes me worry, now, that this was the pharmaceutical company trying to find XMRV/HGRV for us...
  3. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Thanks for the information. In a nutshell, I HATE GlaxoSmithKline. My doctor gave me Paxil back in 1996, this drug nearly ruined my life. I'm not going to get into all the ugly details of this drug, I told about how awful this drug is in other posts on this site.

There is a petition on the internet called "The Paxil Petition" and it has a lot of signatures of people wanting to get this horrible, devastating drug off the market.

It took not just months, but YEARS for me to get over this drug, I call it Paxhell. GlaxoSmithKline needs to go away............................for good. Hugs, Chelz.
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Did the company get away with this because the medications were made outside the US?

Glad this was caught. They should pay. Through the nose!!

gap
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I read the rest of the article as I was not sure if the medications themselves were ineffective or whether it was from the one manufacturing plant. It was contamination from the one factory.

'Nearly all previous cases against the industry involved illegal marketing. This is the first successful case ever to assert that a drug maker knowingly sold contaminated products.'

“This case will change the way drug makers run their factories,” Ms. Eckard’s lawyer, Neil Getnick, said.

Some of the antidepressant Paxil CR produced at the plant was ineffective because a layer of active ingredient split from a layer of a barrier chemical during manufacturing, the government said, and some lots contained only the barrier chemical.

“The harm is really in the public’s confidence in the health care industry,” Ms. Ortiz said. “When you go to a pharmacy and you buy a drug, you expect that drug is what it purports to be and you don’t expect it to have any micro-organisms or not be sterile or not have the power or have too much power.” Although F.D.A. inspectors had spotted some problems, most were missed. And the company abandoned even the limited fixes it promised to conduct, the unsealed lawsuit says. Ms. Eckard complained repeatedly to senior managers; little was done. She recommended recalls of defective products; recalls were not authorized. In May 2003, she was terminated as a “redundancy.”

"Although F.D.A. inspectors had spotted some problems, most were missed. And the company abandoned even the limited fixes it promised to conduct, the unsealed lawsuit says. Ms. Eckard complained repeatedly to senior managers; little was done. She recommended recalls of defective products; recalls were not authorized. In May 2003, she was terminated as a “redundancy.”

Wow!!