News Herald CONTACTED me to do a story

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by monkeykat, Mar 30, 2007.

1. monkeykat

monkeykat Member

Hi,
    It's been a few weeks but the News Herald finally contacted me.

For those who don't know what is going on, the News Herald, in Lake County, Ohio (near Cleveland), wrote an appalling editorial mocking CFS/CFIDS/ME and CDC education funding. It was vicious.

Many of you sent emails to the News Herald editorial in rebuttal. Thanks again.

I sent a personal email to the executive editor at the News Herald letting her know that we deserve a retraction of the editorial, an apology and one or more positive stories covering CFS/CFIDS/ME.

Well, she had emailed me back weeks ago to ask if it would be okay if a reporter contact me. I said, "Yes". However, I hadn't heard from since that editorial 1 month ago.

I had 3 really bad weeks with my illness recently...bedridden most of the day...so it fell through the cracks until I started doing better this week. I called the News Herald once again to ask when a reporter would be contacting me.

I just got an email this morning from a News Herald reporter letting me know that she will be contacting me regarding "my story" and is going to be writing a piece on this illness over the next couple weeks.

YEAH! Persistance pays off!!!

Keep Hope Alive,
    Monkeykat
  2. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

Any time we can get the real word out about our illnesses, I say hooray!!

Suzette
  3. monkeykat

monkeykat Member

Thanks suzette.

I agree.

I have some questions to ask the reporter before I grant an interview:

How often do they get over 90+ responses to an editorial.

Who are they planning to speak with besides me?

What caused the News Herald to come out so strongly against CFS/CFIDS/ME in the first place? Did anyone review the brickbat editorial before it was published? Was this editors opinion consistent with the opinions with everyone else at the News Herald???

Has or will the reporter who contacted me done extensive research on CFS/CFIDS/ME before interviewing me?

I also want to speak to the reporter ahead of time to get a feel for them (e.g. cold? empathetic? intelligent? direct? indirect? friendly? distant? etc.

I will also be asking for a list of questions prior to granting an interview.

I will make sure my husband is present for the interview as well.

I got a lot of great ideas about content of what needs to be included in my interview a few weeks ago from those of you online so I printed it all out and I need to organize my thoughts and information.

Anyway, thanks again,

Keep Hope Alive,
    Monkeykat
  4. SweetT

SweetT New Member

I didn't see the article, and for a time not too long ago, I was receiving a subscription to the NewsHerald.
  5. VeniceQueen

VeniceQueen New Member

I just joined this site, so this is the first time I have heard about it. I cant wait to hear from you on what happens. I live in cuyahoga county.

Best of luck to you! Kick butt!

Michelle
  6. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Good for you!

Best, Lisa
  7. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I am so glad that they finally contacted you! I have been wondering about this for a while. It sounds like you really have things organized and well thought out. I am so glad you are getting this opportunity...you are doing a great thing for us all.

I hope it goes well. Keep us posted.

Thank you for doing this!!!

Good Luck,
    Pam
  8. Engel

Engel New Member

Let us know when it gets published ;-)
  9. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

Good to hear you continued to pursue this. I look forward to reading the article. Please put an e-mail link if possible for those of us not in Ohio.
  10. monkeykat

monkeykat Member

Hi empty2void, SweetT, carla-nl, venicequeen, suzetal, lisapetrison, pw7575, Engel, lichu3 -

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement,support and new ideas!

I have CFS/CFIDS/ME as well as FM, MCS and POTS, etc...so I will be mentioning Fibromyalgia as well. The reporter mentioned interviewing others from this area as well so I'm not sure what will end up in the final article.

I'll let you know when I do the interview and I'll send a link to Prohealth and post the link on here as well:)

Thanks again your for good thoughts and prayers:)

Keep Hope Alive, Monkeykat
  11. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

make sure you tell her what it feels like to have doctors down-play or dismiss our complaintsd...and even worse, shove us off into to the psyche Gulag.
  12. mindbender

mindbender New Member

Hey monkeykat, that's great. I'm kind of a pessimist myself, the reporter might be trying to prove the previous article correct. Make us all out to be whiners.

Don’t let them push you around. I know you won’t. You’ve got allot of ammo.

I forgot to thank you for your post on my other thread. I got busy doing something else. Anyway, Thanks.

Dan
  13. monkeykat

monkeykat Member

Hi joeb7th and mindbender,

I feel a little better today so I can give a longer reply:)

I emailed the reporter and told her that quite normally I am wary of the News Herald because of their previous stance; however, I've had a positive experience emailing the executive editor which has created a minimal amount of trust. I am wise enough to remain wary but also use wisdom and boundaries to try to ensure that we are represented in an intelligent and positive light by the media.

Yes, I will make sure to talk about being down-played by doctors as that adds a TREMENDOUS burden and so much grief to our already horrendous lives just trying to survive.

However, I don't want people to get the impression that we are whiners. I would love to "blast" all the !@#$$#@!# doctors out there who have dismissed me and still dismiss my suffering and offered no help or hope to me. I spent a lot of time "spitting nails" dealing with ignorant doctors. It's appalling and infuriating. However, I've also spent a lot time working through my anger and have found that my anger only builds walls and gives others excuses to not care or understand what i am facing. I've had to learn to be patient, forgiving and tolerant of others

Can't believe I've even been able move past my anger considering I'm still very ill. I guess I just don't go to see traditional doctors at this point so I'm not stirring anything up...LOL.

I think that if I speak the truth about our situation in a positive way then it will encourage other health professionals to get on board with the few informed and compassionate health professionals who are out there. By positive, I mean stating the truth about the growing number of courageous, compassionate and intelligent health professionals and others out there who are advocating for us!

Yes, I do not plan to let them push me around. I hope you do well at your SSD court session. I know it's nerve racking, isn't it.

What do you think???

Thanks for the additional comments and encouragement...

Keep Hope Alive,
    Monkeykat

[This Message was Edited on 04/02/2007]
  14. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

I know you'll do just great! I can tell by the way you write that you're articulate and deliberate in what you say - necessary skills for any interview.

Keep us posted; and we'll be sending good energy to support you :)

Roseblossom
  15. irishprincess

irishprincess New Member

i know i can't speak for anybody else but what you did is fantastic, and if you need any help with insight, letters i know i would be willing to print one out or send or anything if it would help.
    irish
  16. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

Great news!!

Well done on acheiving this through your hard work & commitment even though you are very ill. Very courageous of you to take this on.
  17. monkeykat

monkeykat Member

Hi Roseblossom, Irishprincess, lauralea123, and diva55,

It's just really nice some days to get responses to a post. It was really nice to hear from all of you.

I appreciate all of your confidence in me. I just hope that the reporter/newspaper doesn't twist or throw out "good stuff" I say.

I got an email response from the reporter yesterday and she is supposed to call me in the next day or two. I will be able to ask her some questions at that point. Her email was really empathetic and she understood why I would be wary of their newspaper after she read the brickbat editorial.

Thank you, Irishprincess, for your offer to help. If I need your help, I will send you a post. I never know how my days/weeks are going to go so sometimes i desperately need help but I've learned that I just don't get it as I'm sure many of you have learned as well.

Well, I hope you all have a wonderful day. I also hope that we can all keep finding courage and strength to face each day until we get the recognition and help that we so desperately need.

Never, never, never give up! Keep Hope Alive,
    Monkeykat

18. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

I live in Nashville, TN so I, of course, haven't seen the editorial. I think what you're doing is great and can't wait to hear the outcome. Can you tell me how I can get access to the article? I would like to read it myself.

Good Luck and Gentle Hugs,
    Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 04/04/2007]
  19. monkeykat

monkeykat Member

Hi prickles, pam112361, fight4acure, and desertsage,

It's so great to hear from you all! Thanks again for all the support. I have been getting on the board lately and so now I've been ignoring all my emails. Ugh!

I will be sure to send the link to the article to you all on here. LOL. Fight4acure - I wish I had read the note you sent them. The reporter who emailed me seems kind and understanding.

pam - here is the link to the original brickbats or bouquets editorial, as well as, 95 responses from readers.
    http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17893313&BRD=1698&PAG=461&dept_id=21846&rfi=6

Here is what was said in that editorial:

BRICKBATS: To the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which recently paid $4.5 million of taxpayers' money on a public awareness campaign involving chronic fatigue syndrome.

Chronic fatigue syndrome is not contagious or life-threatening, and many experts question its merits as a focus for public health. Most researchers believe it's a real condition, but some feel the CDC has gone too far, at times putting such ailments ahead of the public good because advocates and politicians push for it.

The CDC was created to address serious, potentially fatal conditions such as cancer and heart disease. With due respect to anyone who suffers from it, chronic fatigue syndrome is just not that important.

Thanks again,
    Monkeykat