Newspaper is printing my article for FM Awareness Day!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EllenComstock, May 5, 2003.

1. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Everyone:

Several weeks ago I posted an article here that I had written to be submitted to my newspaper for FM Awareness Day. Last week I took the article to my local newspaper and suggested they put it in the "letters to the editor" section or wherever else they thought appropriate. I tried to condense it as much as possible. The lady I spoke with felt it wasn't too long, but said they would call me if it needed to be shortened. I know several of you copied my article and said you would be putting it in your newspapers, too. I'll let you know when it comes out!

Ellen
  2. sofy

sofy New Member

I cant get my mind to function long enough to coordinate all my medical info so gave myself permission not to feel guilty cuz Im not doing anything. Next year I'm gonna be better.
  3. AnnG

AnnG New Member

I will try and find it here, I haven't seen it yet.
  4. billiegail

billiegail New Member

I would like to submit it to my local paper as well. Where do I get a copy of it?
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good for you. Let us know when they print it.

Love, Mikie
  6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I didn't think about including the article on this post. I have no idea where my original post with article is now-maybe there is an easy way to find it, but I don't know how. Anyway, if I can't find it, I will do a separate post with the article for anyone else who wants to put it in their local paper. The last paragraph talks about the local FM support group where I live and some other things so you will want to delete that paragraph.
  7. goingslowlycrazy

goingslowlycrazy New Member

Ellen - that's great news! Well done!
    Every bit helps - you will have enlightened the people who read it - who will in turn, enlighten others who they talk to, who in turn...etc etc
    Wonderful!
    hugs
    Mary x
  8. jackiec

jackiec New Member

(Ellen, if you type ellencomstock in the "search messages" box above it gives you a list of messages with your name. I copied your letter here. It's VERY good. Do let us know when it will be out and the name of the paper...I hope to be able to get a copy. I can always use an excuse to get to Tecumseh....hubby loves the hobby shop there!!). Hugs, Jackie
    ===================

What I'm doing for FM Awareness Day 04/11/03 07:19 AM

Hi, Everyone:

Just wanted to share with you what I am doing for FM Awareness Day on May 12. I am putting the following article in my local newspaper. I would like to have made it longer, but I know the paper only has so much space. As it is, this may get cut, but I hope not.

Fibromyalgia Awareness Day

"May 12 is Fibromyalgia (FM) Awareness Day. As the name implies, the purpose is to increase knowledge and awareness of this chronic and often debilitating disease for which there is presently no cure. FM is characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, and multiple tender points. "Tender points" refers to tenderness that occurs in precise, localized areas, particularly in the neck, spine, shoulders, and hips. People with FM often suffer from sleep disturbances, morning stiffness, severe widespread pain, headaches, fatigue, irritable bowel syndrome, anxiety, memory and concentration problems, among other symptoms.

Although the cause of FM is unknown, one theory is that it develops as a result of physical or emotional trauma. Another theory is that it is triggered by an infectious agent such as a virus. FM can also occur with other diseases such as chronic fatigue immune deficiency syndrome (CFIDS), rheumatoid and osteoarthritis, and endometriosis. FM affects 3 to 6 million people in the U.S. alone, most of whom are women.

There is a FM support group at the Carter Rehabilitation Center in Tecumseh, which meets the last Monday of each month from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Those with CFIDS and arthritis are also included. I am also a crisis call listener for the Endometriosis Association and take calls on Wednesday evenings from 7-9 p.m. My number is ______."

Ellen Comstock

How does that sound? If anyone would like to also put this in their local newspaper (excluding the last paragraph, of course) that would be great. Or maybe use part of what I have written and do some yourself. I just feel we need to do something to gain more awareness and who better to do this than those of us who suffer from these diseases.
  9. Copper2002

Copper2002 New Member

Wow! That is SO kewl! Way to go, Ellen! I'm going to send this, plus a tad I'll add about our local group, to my local newspaper, too. I hope they print it as well.

Great idea, and thanks for allowing the rest of us to use your article. Promise, I will credit you with authorship. Hey, get you into enuf papers across the country, and maybe you've got a new career!

Thanks again,
    Copper
    Let Miracles Replace ALL Grievances
  10. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Everyone:

Thanks, Jackie, for printing my article here. I knew there had to be an easy way to find it, but didn't know how. I was going to look into this yesterday, but I was off work yesterday due to the fibro (I don't have a computer at home). I encourage anyway who wants to use it to put into their local newspaper. We need to spread the word as much as possible. By the way, the paper it will be in is The Daily Telegram, which covers all of Lenawee County, which is in the southern part of Michigan. I live about 45 minutes from Toledo, Ohio.

Thanks again for your encouragement.

Ellen
  11. 1fibrowife

1fibrowife New Member

I copied your article and emailed it to my local paper. It was printed in yesterdays paper. I saw one of the paper employees and she told me that her doctor thinks she has FM. I also sent copies of the immune support info to 25 of my friends and family. Thanks for your support!!